APPLICATION TO TEST Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo Ann Moffi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008

      Since Coy seems to be slim on the applications for this one, I'm
      putting one into the mix. :)

      Date: June 2, 2008
      Closing Date: June 3, 2008

      Note: The Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove will also be referred to
      throughout the application as 'the stove' for convenience.

      I have read and understand the requirements for testing as outlined in
      The BackpackerGear.org Bylaws v 0609, including Chapters 4 & 5. I
      agree to comply with the testing and report requirements. I have
      signed and submitted my tester agreement to the address indicated on
      the agreement.

      Name: Jo Ann Moffi
      Age: 34
      Gender: Female
      Height: 168 cm (5 ft, 6 in)
      Weight: 84 kg (185 lbs)
      Email address: jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, and Country: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

      Backpacking Background:

      I was introduced to backpacking about 15 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities ever since. We
      live in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of time in both
      countries for our outdoor excursions. When making a decision on gear,
      I like to go lightweight and practical. I don't like to carry around
      extraneous bits and pieces.

      Field Information:

      Proposed Gear Testing Locations: Northern Ontario and Michigan

      Description of Locations:

      Lake Superior Provincial Park: Lake Superior Provincial Park (LSPP) is
      a 1600 sq km (618 sq mi) park located in the transition zone between
      the Great Lakes Deciduous and Boreal forests. Its vegetation is
      comprised of sugar maple and yellow birch in the hardwood areas, white
      spruce and white birch in the uplands and white cedar, black spruce
      and tamarack in the lowland areas. The harsh climate and topography
      has a significant effect of the climate and conditions in the area,
      especially along the shore of Lake Superior, where wind, waves, and
      spray create a challenging growing environment for vegetation and a
      strenuous hiking experience for humans. The highest point is just
      northwest of Old Woman Lake at 594 m (1950 ft).
      LSPP Coastal Trail: As the name implies, the Coastal Trail is a 48.5
      (30 mi) km trail that follows Lake Superior's eastern shoreline from
      its southern end beginning at Agawa Bay to its most northern point at
      Warp Bay and Devil's Chair. This is a breathtakingly beautiful area,
      although it can be a tricky hike as much of the trail along the
      coastline of Lake Superior is craggy outcroppings, sheer rock faces
      that drop down into the lake, as well as long stretches of sandy and
      rocky beaches. The rocks are lichen covered and can be very slippery,
      especially when wet with dew or rain. Some sections require squeezing
      through canyon walls littered with fallen rocks and logs. Often the
      wind coming off of the lake has blown trees over that obstruct the
      trail. There is inevitably a period every afternoon where the wind
      picks up considerably. Most evenings are calmer, and some nights can
      get pretty breezy as well.

      Hiawatha Highlands:
      The Hiawatha Highlands is a 3000-acre/12 sq km (4 sq mi) wooded area.
      There are 50 km (31 mi) of maintained trails as well as many more
      unmaintained trails requiring navigational skills to wind through.
      This area contains a range of forest types including red and white
      pine old-growth forests and dense boreal stands of jack pine and
      spruce linked by a network of rivers, lakes, and wetlands.

      Voyager Hiking Trail:
      The Voyager Hiking Trail is an over 500 km (311 mi) discontinuous
      trail that extends from the Nipigon River Recreation Trail beginning
      just north of Red Rock, Ontario and ending at South Baymouth on
      Manitoulin Island in Ontario. Each area has its own local club that
      maintain and add to the trail every year with the goal of a
      continuous, non-motorized trail extending across Ontario.

      North Country Trail:
      We have one spring trip planned in the Huron-Manistee National Forest,
      specifically along a section that we can make into a loop trip with
      the Manistee River Trail. Neither my husband nor I have hiked in this
      area before. We will also be scooping out a potential canoeing trip in
      this same area for later in the year.
      Other sections of the North Country Trail may enter into our
      backpacking outings this year as well. Michigan has the largest
      percentage of the NCT and the most certified miles. There are 877 km
      (544.5 mi) in the Lower Peninsula and 820 km (509.2 mi) in the Upper
      Peninsula. The NCT in the Upper Peninsula is heavily forested
      traveling through the Ottawa National Forest, the Pictured Rocks
      National Lakeshore, Hiawatha National Forests and Lake Superior State
      Forest. The Lower Peninsula sections of the NCT are less rugged than
      their northern counterparts. The terrain is flatter and tends to be
      less dense forest.

      Planned Trips:
      I will be going out on other extended weekend trips as the weather
      warms up. I would anticipate getting out every 4 weeks for an average
      of 2 nights a trip. Some may be just an overnighter, others may be 3
      nights; all depending on how many days I can get off in a row. We
      generally don't choose our destination until a couple of weeks before
      a trip. Last minute changes are also possible if the weather is not to
      our liking. I can tolerate some rain, but if the forecast for one area
      is for torrential downpours, we will look in another direction for our
      backpacking trip that weekend. The list of locations above gives a
      good idea of where we tend to backpack, but may not be all inclusive.
      In addition to some backpacking this summer, we will also be canoe
      camping. The past couple of years I have been hiking and backpacking
      on my own for the most part as the hubby has been in Alaska, but now
      he's home, so I will have to let him have some input too. :)

      Weather Conditions:

      Here we are in June and I still haven't broken out the shorts yet. I
      anticipate that we are going to have a cool summer. We still had frost
      last week and the furnace came on in my house this morning! All of the
      snow is gone though. Late spring in Northern Ontario can still bring
      some cold nights. We frequently have below 0 C (32 F) nights until as
      late as May, but this year, we are continuing to have those nights
      into June. In April, the wind direction changes, coming from the
      Northwest and averages 13 km/h (8.07 mi/h).

      The summer months bring warmer temperatures, July and August being our
      hottest months with temperatures averaging 20-25 C (68-77 F), with
      usually a couple of weeks in late July/early August of hotter weather,
      around 30-35 C (86-95 F). July is our sunniest month with about 300
      hours for the month.

      Climate normals for Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and area during the test period:
      June: 8 C (46.4 F); 21 C (70 F)
      July: 11 C (52 F); 24 C (75 F)
      August: 11 C (52 F); 23 C (73 F)
      September: 8 C (46.4 F); 18 C (64 F)
      October: 3 C (46.4 F); 12 C (54 F)
      November: -2 C (28.4 F); 4 C (39.2 F)

      June: 83 mm (3.27 in); 0
      July: 66 mm (2.6 in); 0
      August: 85 mm (3.35 in); 0
      September: 95 mm (3.74 in); 0
      October: 77 mm (3.03 in); 6 cm (2.36 in)
      November: 52 mm (2.05 in); 41 cm (16.14 in)

      June: 12 km/h (7.5 mi/h); W; 64 km/h (69.8 mi/h)
      July: 11 km/h (6.8 mi/h); W; 63 km/h (39.1 mi/h)
      August: 10.7 km/h (6.7 mi/h); W; 74 km/h (46 mi/h)
      September: 12.5 km/h (7.8 mi/h); NW; 65 km/h (40.3 mi/h)
      October: 14.2 km/h (8.8 mi/h); E; 72 km/h (44.7 mi/h)
      November: 15.6 km/h (9.7 mi/h); E; 89 km/h (55 mi/h)

      Test Plan:

      I think we have a version of just about every stove going. We have
      stoves for white gas, canister, wood, and alcohol. I think the only
      one I don't have is an esbit stove. My alcohol stove is the pop can
      (or soda for you 'Mericans) variety I made for myself last year. It
      works ok, but I am still getting used to it.

      Although this stove is designed for one person, I may really put it to
      the test and boil twice the amount of water so that we can take just
      one stove with us. I understand the limitations on pot size, but I can
      easily see using the stove for boiling water for two people. I realize
      the suggested maximum capacity of pot is 1 L, so if needed, I can just
      boil water twice for each meal.

      I am not the most technical person when it comes to stoves. All I want
      it to do is boil water for my food (mostly dehydrated meals) and not
      consume a butt load of fuel while doing so. Obviously for testing this
      stove I would need to be a bit more conscious of fuel consumption,
      boil times, and all that bumf.

      Some aspects and questions I will consider if chosen to test the
      Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove:

      The most appealing aspect of this stove to me is the weight. I have
      been trying to pare down the weight of my pack as I have been wearing
      out or replacing items (and testing cool stuff!). Although our Primus
      stove is much lighter than the Svea, I am very interested to see how
      well a 51 g (1.9 oz) alcohol stove performs. My little alcohol stove
      weighs 14 g (0.5 oz) alone, but when I add on the pot
      stand/windscreen, I'm up to 142 g (5 oz). The Brasslite will be a
      significant weight savings, even if I add a tinfoil windscreen to my
      setup. With a width of 6.5 cm (2.5 in) and height of 6.4 cm (2.5 in),
      this stove would also take up less volume in my pack than the other
      varieties of stove/fuel combinations I take.

      I have thoroughly read the Brasslite website and I will attempt to
      incorporate their recommendations on fuel, capacity of pot (maximum of
      1 L (34 oz)), windscreen distance from pot (minimum of 2.5 cm (1 in)
      from the pot), pot width (between 10 cm (4 in) and 17.5 cm (7 in)), a
      tight-fitting lid, and windscreen material (following the directions
      on the PDF, 30 cm (12 in) wide heavy duty aluminum foil or aluminum
      foil oven liner and paper clips).

      Ease of Use:
      How easy is it to set up?
      How easy is it to light?
      How easy is it to fill?
      How easy is it to use the simmer sleeve?
      How easy is the stove to maintain in the field? Can I maintain the
      stove with my minimal stove skills?
      How stable is the stove on different surfaces?
      How easy it is to clean?
      How easy is it to pack up and store?

      Cooking Performance:
      This is where the real testing begins. If I'm not going to be able to
      get myself a hot meal, then the stove isn't worth much in my opinion.
      I like to cook a variety of meals while backpacking. I like to have a
      hot meal in the morning with tea and a hot meal once I stop for the
      How well does it handle boiling water for one person or two people?
      What kind of cooking am I going to be able to do? Will I be limited to
      boiling water? (OK if it does, I generally dehydrate all my meals

      Heating Efficiency:
      The total burn time for 30 ml (1 fl oz) of methanol is 9:30 minutes. I
      use denatured alcohol as it is most convenient for me to obtain. Is
      this accurate? Is there going to be a difference for the denatured
      To bring 475 ml (16 oz) to boil it takes 4:30 minutes. If I attempt to
      reproduce the conditions mentioned (0.9 L titanium mug, starting temp
      of 10 C (50 F) water in a 22 C (70 F) room, using a windscreen without
      any simulated wind) will I get the same results? I will attempt this.
      How does the overall fuel consumption in various temperatures and
      weather conditions? How well does it burn at low temperatures? How
      much does wind affect the flame? Does using a windscreen improve the
      efficiency of the stove?
      How long does it take to cool down after use?

      How well does it hold up to regular use during the test period?
      Brasslite mentions that it is possible to dent or deform the metal of
      the stove if handled too roughly. Will I experience this?
      How reliable is the stove?

      I'm sure more questions will arise if I get the opportunity to test this stove.

      Previously Written Reports:
      I have written nine owner reviews since joining the BGT, my most
      recent being in response to the August 2007 Owner Review Call for
      Hydration Systems. I am a monitor, a mentor, and a test manager. I
      also helped out with the 2007 BGT spring-cleaning.

      Reviews Written by Jo Ann Moffi:

      Tester Detail Tracking Page:

      Gear I'm Currently Testing and It's Progress:
      Kelty Slider 65 Backpack (awaiting arrival)
      Leki Diva Trekking Poles (Field Testing – due end of July)
      UCO Original Candle Lantern plus LED (Field Testing – due June 10)
      Oboz Yellowstone Boots (Field Testing – due June 17)
      Ruff Wear Palisades Pack & Bark'n Boots (Field Testing – due July 1)
      SmartWool NTS Zip-T (Long Term Testing – due June 24)

      Monitoring Duties:
      Integral Designs Penguin Bivy
      Hydrapak Streamline
      Scarpa Kailash GTX Boots
      White Sierra Simpson Capri

      Applications Pending:

      I have sufficient time to test and report on the Brasslite Turbo I-D
      Stove, as outlined above. Thank you to BackpackGearTest for
      considering my application to test the Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove.