LTR Osprey Agon 110 Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hello Larry,

      My LTR is up and the HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/4xnfpy

      Thanks for all the help on this test series,

      Ray

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      Field Locations

      Jenn and I went to Limber Pine Bench in the San Gorgonio Wilderness
      for an overnighter. The trails were fine, dirt and rock, until just
      above 8500' (2590 m) where we started hitting lingering snow. Temps
      were from 67 F to 40 F (20 to 4 C) with enough wind to keep the
      mosquitoes away. We had 3680' (1122 m) of elevation gain in 6 miles
      (9.6 km) and a total of 12 miles for the trip (19.2 km). I started
      with a 41 lb (18.6 kg) pack weight.

      Observations

      With winter over the only real use I had for the Argon 110 was
      playing Sherpa for my wife and children. A good example is the trip
      to Limber Pine Bench with Jenn. I knew the distance was not going to
      be bad and decided to make a comfort trip out of it for us. I carried
      a three-person tent, Jenn's 15 F (-9 C) bag and Therm-a-Rest Trail
      Comfort pad and chair kit, along with my 20 F (-7 C) bag, pad and sit
      pad. Plus I had a down coat for each of us as the forecast was
      possibly to freezing with wind.

      Add to this the stove, fuel, two-piece pot set, big first-aid kit,
      extra clothes and all the normal things that accompany me on a hike
      and this made for the highest volume load to date. And for the first
      time I had to really use the extension sleeve, mainly because of the
      tall tent and Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort pad. But the Argon still
      swallowed everything. I had nothing outside of the pack. Here is a
      picture of it on the climb up to the camp site.

      It carried very well. I think I like the hip belt better than the
      shoulder straps. Not that the straps are lacking by any means, just
      that as a person that has used many Osprey packs (and many, many
      other packs), the new BioForm hip belt is my favorite part. I do wish
      that they could figure a way to get some little incidental pockets on
      it. Their Talon packs (I own three and use them a lot) have spoiled
      me with the easy access to things like lip balm, sun block, snacks,
      etc.)

      I was going to complain that the red internal compression strap
      running from the front of the pack to the back, that allows the load
      to be snugged down and away from the back of my head, was not long
      enough when I finally needed to use the sleeve extended. I carried my
      load up the mountain with a little bulge hitting me in the head.

      As I was loading up for the return trip I had another "Doh" moment.
      (I thought God would cut me some slack as I got older, at least from
      having to admit it. Oh well, I volunteered for this.) I needed to
      load it to the normal level, or (as I worked out as I played with it
      in camp) just above, and then attach the internal compression strap,
      pulling it snug. Then, and only then, I add extra gear to the pack
      body in the extension sleeve. If the pack is adjusted correctly (and
      it is for me) it won't matter if the extra load makes the body push a
      bit outward, as the strap has sucked it away from my noggin.

      And I am sorry to say that even leaving winter behind, with its need
      of roomy spacious side pockets; I just do not care for the side
      pocket scheme of the Argon. The shape and difficultness to access of
      the zipped left pocket is so weird that I ended up using it for
      snacks only. The stretch pocket I carried my trowel and camera in,
      and would shove my hat in once in a while, or a Larabar wrapper or
      two. I found that items would migrate out of this stretch pocket,
      especially as the volume in the pack got up there to put internal
      pressure on the contents.

      I very much enjoyed using the Argon 110. While it was larger than I
      needed (or expected, as I was to test the Argon 85) I had fun going
      back to the big loads of yesteryear and having the most comfortable
      platform I have ever worn. I thank Osprey and BackpackGearTest.org
      for letting me wear it all over my beloved mountains.
    • laurence kirschner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2008
        Hi Ray-

        I realized as I was driving home this evening that I hadn't edited your LTR, so was planning to do it tonight anyway (no, really, I'm not kidding!)

        I had a few minor corrections for you, which are at the bottom. Overall, I though the report was really nice--Not sure I would ever use a monster like this, but ya' never know!

        One comment--I saw that you only have the date for the LTR in the final version of the review. Is there a way to put back the dates for the IR and FR? I checked back in the bylaws and know that this guideline doesn't apply to ReportWriter 1.0 users, but it would be worthwhile to add the info if possible.

        Cheers,

        -larry

        EDIT: Plus I had a down coat for each of us
        >>>Plus, I had a down coat� (add a comma)

        Edit: As I was loading up for the return trip I had another "Doh" moment.
        >>>I would suggesting just merging this with the prior paragraph.
        EDIT: of roomy spacious side pockets; I just do not care for the side
        >>>use comma instead of semicolon
        EDIT: The shape and difficultness to access of the zipped left pocket
        >>>shape and difficult access to the zippered left pocket�

        Edit: The stretch pocket I carried my trowel and camera in,and would shove my hat in once in a while, or a Larabar wrapper ortwo.

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
          Hi Larry,

          All edits made and uploaded, test file deleted. Thanks for working with
          me on this series.

          Ray