FOR EDIT: Field Report Bite Xtension 2 Sandals Lynne Durham

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi there!

      Here's the text version of my Bite Xtension 2 field report. Please
      ignore any odd stuff that yahoo chooses to do with the text.

      The HTML version can be found at

      http://tinyurl.com/88hns

      Best regards,

      Lynne Durham
      Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

      FIELD REPORT Bite Xtension 2 Sandals
      Reviewed by: Lynne Durham
      Review date: June 29, 2005

      **********
      REVIEWER BIO
      **********
      Name: Lynne Durham
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight: 153 lb (69 kg)
      Age: 42
      Email: lynnedurham AT yahoo DOT com
      Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA
      Shoe size: Women's US 10

      **********
      BACKPACKING EXPERIENCE
      **********
      I am a backpacking novice - my first trip was in 2002. I have
      hiked and car camped all of my life, mostly in the relative
      flatlands of the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan, but also
      in areas east of the Continental Divide, such as South Dakota,
      New England, Kentucky, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, and more. In
      September, 2004 I did my first solo backpacking trip and in
      October, 2004 I did a single-day, rim-to-rim hike of the Grand
      Canyon. I keep my pack weight to 25% of bodyweight or less but
      I always bring optional or comfort items.

      My other outdoor experience includes trail running and
      snowshoeing. I am a novice adventure racer and I have
      competed in several, including both sprint- and expedition-length
      races.

      **********
      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      **********
      Item name: Bite Xtension 2 Sandals
      Manufacturer: Bite Footwear
      Manufacturer's Web site: http://www.biteshoes.com/
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      MSRP: USD79.99
      Manufacturer claimed weight: N/A
      Actual weight as received: Right: 12.1 oz (343 g) Left: 12.2 oz
      (346
      g) Total: 24.3 oz (689 g), just a tad over 1.5 lbs (0.68 kg).
      Available sizes (per the Web site): US Women's 5-11 (whole
      sizes only)
      and US Men's 7-16.
      Manufactured in China of all man-made materials.

      More extensive manufacturer's information - including fit
      information - is available in my Initial Report.

      *************
      FIELD CONDITIONS
      *************
      During the field testing phase, these sandals have been
      subjected to many miles under a variety of conditions:
      - Well-maintained forest trails, both with and without socks
      - Steep sand dunes, sandy beaches, and sandy trails, all
      without socks
      - Wet, muddy trails, without socks
      - During creek/river crossings, without socks
      - On asphalt roads, both with and without socks
      - Indoors on both carpeted and uncarpeted surfaces, both with
      and without socks

      Weather conditions have ranged from pleasantly cool (50s F [10
      C]) to hot (85 F [29 C]) and humid; the sandals have been worn
      in both dry and rainy weather.

      *************
      FIELD ACTIVITIES
      *************
      During this testing phase, the sandals have been used during a
      wide variety of activities - some a bit odd for the shoe:
      - Hiking/backpacking on trail, with and without pack. Highest
      pack weight during this test period was approximately 30 lbs (14
      kg)
      - Bushwhacking through dense - but luckily thornless - growth
      - Canoeing
      - Trail running
      - Road running and walking
      - Mountain biking on fire roads (with toe clips)
      - Trail maintanance
      - Office work

      *************
      IMPRESSIONS
      *************
      I have been drawn to running sandals for some time now. I've
      always been jealous of people who can run in running shoes
      sans socks and not develop blisters. Running sandals, it
      seemed to me, would be the answer. The open design would
      allow the toes more room to spread naturally as they do when
      barefoot. The design would facilitate wonderful, cooling airflow.

      However, when it comes to either running or hiking long
      distances, I seem doomed to require socks. While these
      sandals are incredibly comfortable for walking or running short
      distances, I developed blisters anytime I went further than 3
      miles (5 km) without socks.

      FIT
      The Bite Xtension 2's fit system is quite easy to use and to make
      properly snug. However, soon after the sandals are fitted snugly,
      the heel strap loosens. At first, I found this disconcerting and
      kept re-tightening the strap. However, I finally decided that
      perhaps they were supposed to fit that way and I left the heel
      strap loose. The sandals did not flop around and the loose strap
      never affected my gait. In the long run, I did not find this
      loosening to be an issue.

      COMFORT
      In my initial review of the sandals, I expressed concern about
      whether the arch support would be sufficient for my needs.
      However, this turned out to be a nonissue. The sandals offer
      plenty of support for my needs and comfortable even under my
      heaviest pack weight of the test (30 lbs [14 kg]). Additionally, the
      arch area was comfortable and supportive during trail and road
      runs.

      Wearing socks with the sandals completely eliminated the
      blistering issue. However, doing so defeated the reason I
      enjoyed the sandals: the airflow and the ability to spread my toes
      naturally. I tried to use various taping methods while wearing the
      sandals without socks, but a blister would pop up in an
      uncovered area.

      During paddling use, the sandals were highly effective. The
      soles are stable, even on wet surfaces. The material dries out
      quickly and comfortably.

      PERFORMANCE
      The sandals are easy to get on and off your feet quickly - a
      simple squeeze of the buckle opens the ankle strap and allows
      the sandals to come off. The Toe Guard offers adequate
      protection from stubbed toes, however, it does not prevent trail
      debris - sticks, twigs, stones - from creeping under your foot.

      One of the areas where I had assumed the sandal would excel
      was sand. It seemed to me that the open design would allow
      sand to sift out as quickly as it sifted in. However, this did not
      prove to be the case.

      I used the sandals both running without pack and hiking with a
      pack in sandy areas, including dunes. As expected, the sand
      would quickly sift into the sandal. However, rather than sifting
      right back out again, the sand would build up in the arch area. I
      would stop and shake my foot (either toe down or heel down) in
      an attempt to remove the sand - but to no avail. I had to remove
      the sandal to get rid of the sand build up. I'm not sure if this is a
      function of how high my arch is or what (however, I do not have a
      particularly high arch - simply normal).

      The Xtension 2's outsole offered good traction on a variety of
      surfaces, ranging from a wet canoe bottom to scree-covered
      trails to asphalt or concrete roads.

      The open design offered tremendous comfort from a both a
      temperature and a functional standpoint. The air could flow over
      my feet as I moved. My toes could spread naturally and "grip"
      while I moved. My feet stayed cool and comfortable and never felt
      slimy or sweaty - and thus never seemed as smelly. However, I
      was never able to escape the blister issue when I went without
      socks. I tried taping, but I would just develop blisters in new,
      different areas.

      Additionally, once under my foot, trail debris would not easily fall
      out of the sandal. I had more trouble with small twigs, stones,
      etc., than I have while wearing running shoes and short gaiters.
      Even on short jaunts I inevitably get a stone between my foot and
      the footbed which requires that I stop and take the sandal off to
      remove it.

      When these sandals were worn with socks, I experienced
      absolutely no blister problems, even under longer mileage (20
      miles or 32 km). I did, however, still experience trail debris
      issues.

      FOR FURTHER TESTING
      Overall, I find these sandals extremely comfortable from a
      daily-wear, short mileage standpoint. It may just be that I'm one
      of those people who cannot go without socks. I look forward to
      the extended testing period to determine if I am able to solve this
      problem.

      Additionally, I'll be interested to see how these sandals hold up
      over my long-term usage.

      **********
      BENEFITS (so far)
      **********
      - Easy to fit with the pulley system, very adjustable
      - 45-day comfort guarantee
      - Well cushioned, comfortable
      - Stable and supportive
      - Less foot sweat means less smell

      **********
      LIMITATIONS (so far)
      **********
      - Blister issues when worn without socks for 3 miles (5 km) or
      longer
      - Trail debris and sand do not slide out of the sandal as easily
      as they slide into the sandal

      Thank you to Bite Footwear and BackpackGearTest for the
      opportunity
      To evaluate these sandals.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
        Please find below, my BITE Xtension 2 Running Sandals Field Report. I did
        end up exchanging the size 12s for size 11s (US), however my report is
        primarily written on the size 12s since I only received the replacements
        day before yesterday. I think I captured everything appropriately, but
        please let me know if there are any errors in my approach.

        Picture/Table version available in the test folder.
        <http://tinyurl.com/9tr8b>

        Thanks in advance!

        JET

        NOTE: there is a <> toward the beginning of
        the report in the test folder which I have
        removed, but not reuploaded.

        Field Test Report:

        <feets image>

        BITE Xtension 2
        Running Sandal

        by James E. Triplett

        Personal Biographical Information:

        Name: James E. Triplett
        Age: 45
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
        Weight: 190 lb (86.2 kg)
        Foot size: 12 US (as measured on a Brannock device)

        Email address: james_triplett@...
        City, State: Cedar Rapids, Iowa - USA
        Date: June 30, 2005

        Backpacking Background:
        I was brought up exploring the woods, primarily West of the Mississippi
        from Missouri to as far North as Hudson Bay, and have a heavily ingrained
        appreciation for nature. In college my recreation consisted of hiking to
        bouldering areas and rock climbing on the bluffs and trails in Southern
        Illinois, which ultimately led to continuously hiking the lower 1/3 of the
        Appalachian Trail. I hike every day, and backpack when possible. I am a
        mid-weight backpacker, experienced hiker and camper, and have had some
        exposure to longer hikes of 50 to 500 miles (80 to 800 km). I prefer a
        tent over a tarp, in fact I love tents, but have not yet tried a hammock.

        Manufacturer Information:
        Manufacturer: BITE Footwear - Redmond, Washington
        Phone: 800-248-3465

        Product Information:
        Item being tested: BITE Xtension 2 Running Sandal - Size 12 Size 11 US
        Year of Manufacture: New for March 2005
        Date Item Received: April 27, 2005
        Model / Color: 5005c - Taupe / Natural / Yellow
        MSRP: $79.99 US
        Listed weight: None given
        Actual weight:
        Size 12 US: Left =16.1 oz (456 g), Right =16.0 oz (454 g)
        Size 11 US: Left =15.5 oz (440 g), Right =14.8 oz (420 g)
        Available US sizes (whole sizes only):
        Mens 7 - 16
        Womens 5 - 11

        Available colors:
        Mens:
        5005a - Wheat / Almond
        5005b - Taupe / Natural / Red
        5005c - Taupe / Natural / Yellow (this test)

        Womens:
        5005a - Wheat / Almond
        5005b - Taupe / Natural / Ruby
        5005c - Natural / Navy / Teal

        The following information is from the biteshoes website:

        BITE Xtension 2 Information:

        Upper
        - Xtension 2 pulley strapping system secures the foot to the midsole
        - Quick-drying lightweight Durahide upper
        - Dual buckle design provides a snug, adjustable fit
        - Forefoot straps hold foot securely around metatarsal heads

        Outsole
        - Burst outsole with multidirectional grip
        - Thin, responsive outsole for lively ground feel
        - Enerflow system transfers energy from heel to toe
        - Contoured Phylon midsole cradles the foot for support
        - ATS heel pad for soft impact and forefoot Pe Launch Pad for life
        - Medial post featuring Grey Matter to eliminate pronation
        - Motion Control Stabilizer and Spring Bar for exceptional foot control
        - Arch shank gives extra support and stability
        - Toe Guard protection for security

        BITE's Xtension 2 Description:
        Durahide Running sandal. Strengthens feet through increased muscle use.
        Dual density posted midsole, extra cushioning, arch support, and exclusive
        forefoot spring bar.

        <sole image>

        Review:

        Opening Remarks:
        As mentioned in my initial report, I was a little leery of getting the
        size 12 (US) sandals without trying them on. For reasons expressed below,
        I have exchanged the size 12 (US) BITE Xtension 2 sandals for size 11 (US)
        sandals. The overall appearance of the sandals, except for the size, is
        unchanged from the original pair.

        Testing The BITEs:
        Size Issue and Exchange:
        I started wearing the Xtension 2 Sandals immediately upon their arrival.
        The fit of the lower portion of the sandals (the base to which all the
        straps and "uppers" are attached) seemed reasonable, although maybe just a
        tad big. The BITE literature says that "a shoe that has a more generous
        fit is better than one that fits tightly", so I thought I was okay. As it
        turns out, the uppers of the sandals became looser and looser, and the
        tails of the two adjustment straps became quite long as I continued to
        tighten the sandals over several weeks. The strap which goes through the
        buckle over my ankle became long enough that I would step on it as I
        hiked. This is the strap which is secured with Velcro, and with the
        wide soles of the sandals, and the strap going out and over the sole, the
        Velcro securing system became difficult to secure. The other strap could
        be tucked into the sandal, but it was quite long too.

        In addition to the uppers seeming too large for my feet, another
        discouraging symptom developed with the Xtension 2 sandals. Neither of
        the two buckles on each sandal would stay tight. The over the ankle strap
        has a friction buckle (1st picture below) which uses Velcro on the strap
        end to provide the locking after it is adjusted. As I mentioned above,
        this strap would become slightly looser over short distances of hiking.
        The buckles around the heals (2nd picture below) have a flip-to-lock
        mechanism, yet this lock would allow the strap to slip through
        significantly to the point where my feet would move around on the footbed
        of the sandals. This would occur, on a good day, after a mile (1.6 km) of
        hiking, and on a bad day the sandals would be loose after only 5 minutes
        of hiking. The locking buckles would still be locked, but the strap would
        become loose.

        <buckle 1 image> <buckle 2 image>

        I contacted BITE about this issue, and they were most friendly with their
        response. Without acknowledging any issues with the buckles slipping, or
        the design of the Xtension 2 Running Sandals, I was told that it sounded
        like I needed to drop down to the next smaller size sandal. Given the
        limited options, this seemed like the proper choice. BITE has a 45 day
        fit guarantee, and I was told that if the new size ended up being too
        small then I could return them too, and go back to the larger size. I
        shipped the sandals back to BITE and a seemingly long 17 days later I
        received the replacements. The new sandals arrived just this week.

        Field Testing:
        At this point in time, my field testing has been done primarily on the
        larger (size 12 US) sandals. Despite having to continually tighten the
        sandals, I believe the performance of the Xtension 2s was adequately
        tested, and I am reporting on that here.

        I started off by wearing the sandals around the house, to the store, and
        for general non-demanding use. After only a few days I took the BITEs on
        a two mile (3.2 km) day hike, with a 22 lb (10 kg) pack. The BITEs
        gripped well and I had a pleasant experience. After that point I wore the
        sandals on my early morning daily hikes, over pavement and on dirt trails
        through the woods, every day, rain or shine. All wearing of the sandals
        has been sockless. I was impressed with the effectiveness of the
        toe-guard (pictured below), as it kept nearly all debris away from my
        toes. I did encounter a few jabs from sticks that I inadvertently kicked
        straight on, but this was the exception and generally my feet have been
        safe and sound. Of course, protection from sandals is not the same as
        from shoes or boots, but BITE has designed the Xtension 2 sandals to
        provide reasonable protection while still offering all the plusses of
        sandals.

        <toe guard image>

        What the sandals do offer is the comfort of open-feet hiking, which I have
        quickly grown to enjoy. The sandals provide open air cooling, with
        minimal pressure points from the straps which obviously cover less area of
        my feet than shoes. Having my feet not overheat is a true blessing. Also,
        I have plowed right through big puddles and hiked in the rain, and my feet
        have actually enjoyed this as well. The wet sandals cause my feet to
        slosh around in them a tiny bit, but they still feel stable. The sandals
        also make a sloshing sound, but nothing too serious, and... they dry off
        while I'm wearing them and I don't need to worry about whether or not they
        are waterproof.

        The tread on the BITE Xtension 2 sandals seems aggressive for this type of
        footwear. My hikes have taken me over dry dirt trails, through mud, tall
        brush, and gravel, as well as pavement. These are the same areas I have
        hiked with hiking boots and trail runners, and the grip of the BITEs has
        been comparable with my other footwear. Any shortcomings in stability
        have come from ankle support (or the lack thereof) and a small amount of
        movement of my feet within the sandals. None of this has surprised me as
        it is what I expect from sandals.

        <heel image>

        The BITE Xtension 2 sandals are listed as running sandals, however I have
        not run in them. I have played tennis though, with my son Drake and some
        of his 11-year-old friends. This has not been serious tennis mind you,
        but I have made some heroic moves in effort to retrieve some wild shots.
        The BITEs have performed admirable on the tennis courts, and surprisingly
        the strap loosening issues have been less problematic during this sport.

        <size image>

        Fit:
        The pictures on the left (below) are from my initial report and show the
        size 12 (US) sandals, while the pictures on the right are the newly
        received size 11 (US) replacements. As you can hopefully see, the
        difference is noticeable, but not huge. The difference in the uppers,
        specifically the strap size and length, seems more significant which is
        precisely what I was looking for when I requested the exchange.

        <size 12 vs. 11 image>

        Test Plan:
        My testing opportunities will include conditions of dirt and grass trails,
        pavement, gravel, and mud and water. I will monitor the sandals for fit
        and comfort, stability, wear and durability. I had the sandals pretty
        dirty, and had only cleaned them by walking through water, when I
        exchanged them for a smaller, cleaner, pair. I plan to investigate how
        easily the sandals can be cleaned, and if any trail grime permanently
        stains or discolors the fabric. Most of my sandal hiking will be in
        Eastern Iowa at elevations around 860 feet (260 meters), with temperature
        and precipitation conditions as shown in the table below. I will also be
        spending a week in the Colorado Rocky Mountains at the end of July, and
        will expose the Xtension 2s to conditions there as much as possible
        without jeopardizing the success of my trip. As temperatures cool off in
        the fall I will experiment with wearing socks in the sandals. Thus far
        all testing has been done with bare feet.

        Month
        Temp Range degrees F
        Temp Range degrees C
        Precipitation (inches)
        Precipitation (cm)

        May
        50 to 73
        10 to 23
        4.2
        10.7

        June
        60 to 82
        16 to 28
        4.6
        11.7

        July
        64 to 85
        18 to 29
        4.2
        10.7

        August
        62 to 83
        17 to 28
        4.5
        11.4

        September
        53 to 75
        12 to 24
        3.5
        8.9

        October
        41 to 64
        5 to 18
        2.4
        6.1

        November
        29 to 46
        -2 to 8 2.4
        6.1

        very pleased with the support they provide my feet, and how quickly I
        became acclimated to wearing them. The issue of the loosening straps has
        been addressed by changing to a smaller sandal size, which may or may not
        prove to be an effective solution. BITE's 45 day fit guarantee and
        courteous customer service speaks well for placing a high priority on
        customer satisfaction. I am still enthusiastic about theses sandals and
        can't wait to put many more miles on them.

        <JET image>

        Respectfully submitted,

        -James T.

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi Lynne, here is your official edit. Actually very little to edit.
          Your link in the html is also working properly. good job!

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Lynne" <lynnedurham@g...>
          wrote:

          - Trail maintanance

          Edit: first, thats how I would spell it which should be a warning:')
          Word flagged it so I looked it up and sho nuff it should be
          maintenance. change the a to an e

          Comfort

          > However, this turned out to be a nonissue.

          Comment. word falgged nonissue. perhaps it should be hyphinated
          non-issue. your call.

          That all I see...everyting was well worded and an all around
          interesting read. Fix the one edit, do as you see fit on the comment
          and upload when you get back.

          Coy Boy
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
            Hi James, here is your official edit. Actuall no edtits found. Your
            link is also good to go. Another very intertaining read. I thought
            you handled the fit issue perfectly. I also liked your pictures of
            the new and old size shoes. So when will I see you on TV playing
            tennis...sounds like you are a pro:')

            I see you are also going oop. if you get this in time then upload at
            will...if not then as soon as you can upon your return.

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
              Thanks Coy!

              I'm still here... and will upload the report in about an hour.

              Thanks again!

              Jet

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
                - FYI -

                I was browsing the test folder and found Thomas Peltier II's report on the
                Cohiba.

                Thomas - there is no "S" in Ultimate Direction. This is especially
                critical in your Manufacturer URL... which takes us to an unrelated site.

                Now I see that you fixed the link in the final version, but you still need
                to change the name to "Ultimate Direction". I think it is only in there
                about three times.

                Looking at your initial report it looks like you have the same issue
                there... and this one does have the bad link. Any Mod can delete these
                for you if you require that service. Just holler.

                Thanks!

                James T.
                BGT Edit Moderator
                PS: The test folder version should be deleted as well.

              • Lynne Durham
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2005
                  Thank you for the edits, Coy.

                  I've been OOP and I haven't been able to get to the messages until
                  just now. The Bite report is on my computer at work, so I'll make the
                  edits and upload first thing tomorrow morning.

                  Lynne Durham
                  Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

                  --
                  Lynne Durham