Re: Question about use requirements for out of season gear

  • S
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2008
      I'm curious to see the response, Ray. However, I did once test a winter tent and, after it
      finally showed up, the four-month test period was May to September. Of course, I didn't
      run into any snow or even rain or wind over that period.

      Sheila

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "rayestrella1" <rayestrella@...> wrote:

      > Question about use requirements for out of season gear
      >
      > I have a question concerning the Dragontail tent test. It is a winter
      > tent and winter is over for me right now. I am going to be going on a
      > trip on Monday that will see me by a creek at low elevation in pretty
      > warm temps. While I do not mind using it there I am pretty sure that
      > the experience will not be favorable for the report.
      >
      > Should I go ahead and use it to get the time in? I already have 6
      > nights in it, which is over the required number, just not the 4 month
      > part. Or call it a deal unless we get a freak snow storm in Minnesota…
      >
      > I will abide by the collected wisdom, or better yet, Jerry's say.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ray

    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2008
        Ray,

        It is a 4 season tent so test it in 4 seasons. <g>

        Ralph

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2008
          Hi Ray,

          As you will most likely note, I am testing the Dragontail too! Part of
          my application was to test the tent in our late summer, fall as all you
          lot were testing in winter. I saw this as an opportunity for me to test
          the other of the 4 seasons that the USA would not have over the test
          period.

          Given I am now heading into some cold to freezing conditions, I am keen
          to see if I have some of the issues my fellow testers are. Likewise, i
          am also keen to read LTR's for you in warmer conditions to see if you
          experienced some of the problems I have.....

          I'd say test away, maybe take a cloth to whip up condsensation though!

          Jamie L
        • Jason Boyle
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2008
            Ray,

            You should take it on at least one trip in the LTR period. It will
            allow you to comment on how well it works outside of the winter. Not
            all folks buy multiple tents some settle for one tent and we can
            provide information on how it works. Plus you are projecting a bit
            aren't you with saying it won't work good outside of the snow.

            Jason B
            Test Mod

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Question about use requirements for out of season gear
            >
            > I have a question concerning the Dragontail tent test. It is a
            winter
            > tent and winter is over for me right now. I am going to be going on
            > trip on Monday that will see me by a creek at low elevation in
            pretty
            > warm temps. While I do not mind using it there I am pretty sure
            that
            > the experience will not be favorable for the report.
            >
            > Should I go ahead and use it to get the time in? I already have 6
            > nights in it, which is over the required number, just not the 4
            month
            > part. Or call it a deal unless we get a freak snow storm in
            Minnesota…

            > I will abide by the collected wisdom, or better yet, Jerry's say.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ray

          • nwcurt
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2008
              Ray,

              If I were buying a 4 season tent I'd really want to know how it did
              outside of snow so I'd know if I could use it year 'round. Most people
              aren't the gearheads that we at BGT are and likely purchase just 1
              tent for all of their camping.

              While it needs to be fair and not overly harsh in uses that aren't its
              primary purpose, I actually think it would be critical to include
              non-winter use in the report.

              The main thing is to be fair (though honest!) about shortcomings
              instead of unreasonable. As one of our best testers, I'm sure you'll
              find that balance with ease :)

              Take care,

              -Curt
            • pamwyant
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "nwcurt" <nwcurt@...> wrote:
                > Most people
                > aren't the gearheads that we at BGT are and likely purchase just 1
                > tent for all of their camping.

                I'd have never guessed that from the internet forums I read or the
                folks I've backpacked with. <grin>

                Some summer use would definitely round out the report and be very
                valuable for the non gearheads though...

                On a side note though, I am running into problems with the Kahtoola
                MicroSpikes test. We have not had any more snow and no likelihood
                now. I'll be hunting wet rocks and mud to round out this test I guess.

                Pam
              • Greg
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "nwcurt" <nwcurt@> wrote:
                  > > Most people
                  > > aren't the gearheads that we at BGT are and likely purchase just 1
                  > > tent for all of their camping.
                  >
                  > I'd have never guessed that from the internet forums I read or the
                  > folks I've backpacked with. <grin>

                  Wait... I thought all backpackers had 5 tents in their closet. What
                  the heck? The room is spinning!

                  I'm with everyone else Ray (except Roger who is trying to snake your
                  gear!), I'd like a summer opinion so I'd know just how miserable I'd
                  be inside, baking like my girlfriend's chocolate chip cookies. If I
                  wouldn't be miserable, that'd be extremely useful information.

                  And Pam, head to the beach and try them in the sand <Grin>.
                • rayestrella1
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                    Thanks for the replies all,

                    I shall take it on the desert trip mentioned and a mountain trip this
                    weekend with a ton of melt off. That should round off the non-winter
                    use quite well, eh?

                    Oh wait, that means I only used it during two seasons Ralph… ;-)

                    Ray
                  • pamwyant
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                      Look on the bright side Ray. You should have some really good insight
                      on how it works as a portable sauna. <grin>

                      Hard to fit all four seasons into a four month period, but with the
                      crazy weather lately you might. <grin>

                      Pam

                      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the replies all,
                      >
                      > I shall take it on the desert trip mentioned and a mountain trip this
                      > weekend with a ton of melt off. That should round off the non-winter
                      > use quite well, eh?
                      >
                      > Oh wait, that means I only used it during two seasons Ralph… ;-)
                      >
                      > Ray

                    • Ralph Ditton
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                        Ray,

                        You can always add an amendment after the test period has ended, six months
                        later to cover the other two.<g>

                        Ralph

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                          wrote:
                          > Hard to fit all four seasons into a four month period
                          > Pam

                          I wonder who we need to talk to about that. :)
                          Greg M
                        • Leesa J
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2008
                            Just move to Maine - we sometimes have 5 seasons in less than 4 months (we
                            are special - we have mud season too, it falls between winter and spring.
                            We're there right now)

                            Leesa

                            On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Greg <gdm320@...> wrote:

                            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Hard to fit all four seasons into a four month period
                            > > Pam
                            >
                            > I wonder who we need to talk to about that. :)
                            > Greg M

                          • Jamie D.
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3, 2008
                              Ah ha, you Maine people are the ones to blame then. We only have one
                              season here in the Desert SW. You stole our other season!!

                              Jamie

                              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Leesa J" <leesaj@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Just move to Maine - we sometimes have 5 seasons in less than 4
                              months (we
                              > are special - we have mud season too, it falls between winter and
                              spring.
                              > We're there right now)
                              >
                              > Leesa
                            • Jo Ann Moffi
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 3, 2008
                                We really only have two season here in Northern Ontario: Winter and
                                Construction. Even then Construction sometimes spills into Winter when
                                we have burst pipes and such under the roads from the cold.

                                Jo Ann

                                On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Jamie D. <jdeben@...> wrote:

                                > Ah ha, you Maine people are the ones to blame then. We only have one
                                > season here in the Desert SW. You stole our other season!!
                                >
                                > Jamie
                                >
                                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Leesa J" <leesaj@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Just move to Maine - we sometimes have 5 seasons in less than 4
                                > months (we
                                > > are special - we have mud season too, it falls between winter and
                                > spring.
                                > > We're there right now)
                                > >
                                > > Leesa

                              • Leesa J
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 3, 2008
                                  Our roads are a mess every spring. They heave when the frost starts coming
                                  out of the ground, then they gradually flatten out again, but the pavement
                                  is usually a mess after that. I have a 2.5 year old car and have had it
                                  aligned about 5 times.

                                  Oh well, the grass is always greener...

                                  Leesa