repost: Samson Phan Ibex Woolie Zip-TFR

  • Samson Phan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      http://tinyurl.com/2l3rnq

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      The Ibex Zip-T was tested primarily in the Sierra Nevadas around the
      Lake Tahoe and Bishop area (elevation: 7000 ft or 2100 meters plus).
      Conditions ran the gamut, from clear still days to 30 miles per hour
      (48 km/hr) winds in white outs. I was never rained on. Temperatures
      ranged between 25-50 F (-4 to 10 C). In all cases of use, snow was on
      the ground while hiking in moderate terrain. The average trip was 3
      days, usually out and back from a car base. Total wear time is
      somewhere around 20 days. Many trips were taken with just a Camelbak,
      though 2 involved packs exceeding 40 pounds (18 kgs).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Zip-T is an amazing piece of clothing. Even while under a
      nonbreathable rain jacket, the Zip-T kept my skin dry as a bone. And
      it was comfortable to wear! As expected, the Zip-T did nothing to
      brace against the wind. Merino wool must also be good at blocking UV
      as I did not burn under the clothing when it was worn by itself.

      The material and cut of the cloth combined with the stretch of the
      material allowed for a highly formfitting fit which did not restrict
      movement. The length was sufficiently long to not leave a gap bare in
      the back. The high neck covered much of my neck without making me
      feel like I was suffocating. The zipper was a little difficult to
      unzip with just a single hand. If my second hand was busy, I would
      often have to bite on the collar while pulling down. In addition, the
      zipper would sometime chafe my neck when fully zipped. The addition
      of a material to cover the zipper when fully pulled up would alleviate
      this.

      The care instructions dictate washing only in cold water and to dry
      flat. On more than one occasion, it found itself in a warm wash and in
      the dryer. I expected the material to shrink or pill. Neither
      occurred. My fears that wool would acquire smell quicker than tech
      clothes proved unfounded.

      SUMMARY

      Likes:
      cut of the cloth
      breathability of material

      Dislikes:
      chafing from the zipper
      difficulty in actuating zipper with one hand

      I would highly recommend the Zip-T as a base layer. My anathema for
      wool has been changed permanently. Aside from some chafing from the
      zipper when fully closed, I did not encounter any issues with the
      clothing.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will bring it on trips to Big Basin in Northern California and Mt.
      Whitney in Southern California. I expect cool nights and hot days on
      the these trips. This concludes my Field Report. The Long-Term
      Report should be completed by June 30, 2008

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • becki_s19
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        Samsom-

        Just one more edit, you're good to upload when they are addressed:

        Becky S

        > I will bring it on trips to Big Basin in Northern California and Mt.
        > Whitney in Southern California. I expect cool nights and hot days on
        > the these trips. This concludes my Field Report. The Long-Term

        Edit: remove "the" before "these"