EDIT Field Report - Golite Xanadu - Rebecca

  • Jenn E.
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2008
      Thank you for your FR, your edits will follow. They will take the following format:

      EDIT: Must be changed.
      Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
      Comment: Just that or something to think about.

      ***So many tents and sleeping bags that I own have tried to save a half ounce by making the stuffsack almost too small,

      EDIT: "the manufacturers of" so many tents and sleeping bags that I own have tried to save a half ounce "metric conversion here" by making the stuffsack almost too small,

      ***I would not be comfortable taking the Xanadu out into stormy winter conditions even if the weather gives me a opportunity to do so

      EDIT: "an" opportunity

      ***I've been in winter storms in tents with similar (but much smaller) vent designs and had serious problems with spindrift being pushed through the mesh by wind.  This leads to the unfortunate and potentially dangerous situation of wet sleeping bags and gear.  Having been in this situation before with much smaller vents, the large mesh walls and side vents on the Xanadu concern me. They have proven to allow in massive amounts of dust when the wind wasn't as strong as I have encountered it in winter storms - I don't want the same thing to happen when I'm in the snow.

      The Xanadu, to me, is like a very robust tarptent.  It has some of the same issues as tarps and tarptents, namely the 'leak' of dust (and likely snow)

      Comment: Without knowing what it will do this is speculation albeit based on experience. I know for a fact that you are correct in your assumption. Read Dave's report. He was not happy with the performance of the Xanadu after his trip in the snow storm.
      I just thought I should mention it. I will leave it up to you how to handle it.

      You are free to upload.

      Don't forget to delete your report from the test folder.

      Jenn E.

    • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        Thanks for the edit - changes made!

        You're right about the kind-of speculation, but I want to leave it in
        since it is based on real conclusions that I've drawn from my
        observations (dust = snow), and also explains why I won't be taking it
        out to real storm conditions, even if I had the chance. I'm going to
        go ahead and read the other reports now (something I don't do before
        writing my own reports) to see what the other testers have to say.

        I think that the problem with this tent isn't necessarily the design,
        but the marketing. It may be a bad four season tent, but it's a good
        3+ season tent. If they didn't market it as a 4 season tent I might
        not be so harsh in my conclusions. Hopefully our reports will make
        them rethink this.

        Rebecca