Application Native Dash XP

  • kenjennorris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
      Application to test Native Dash XP

      Ken Norris
      I have read the by-laws and all the required material including BGT
      Bylaws v. 0609 and will abide by the rules. I have also mailed in a
      signed test agreement in April 2008.

      Date: 4/30/08

      NAME: Ken Norris
      EMAIL: kenjennorris@...
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Redmond, Washington, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND:
      I have been hiking and backpacking for the past twelve years, going
      on the occasional overnighter or day hike. In the past year or so, I
      have begun night hiking and long day hikes (twenty miles [32 km] or
      more), with an emphasis on lightweight and speed. These trips center
      on Washington's Central Cascades (terrain characterized by steep
      inclines and "moist" conditions) and the Oregon outback (areas
      classified as high desert).

      INITIALS THOUGHTS ON THE NATIVE DASH XPs
      I have a confession: I'm hard on sunglasses. As a native of
      Washington state, I reside in a state where the per capita sunglass
      count far exceeds the need: when we see the sun, we need eyewear and
      fast. Like the rain, we classify the degrees to which a day is
      sunny. My struggles with sunglasses have revolved around their
      fragility, versatility, fit, and packability. I rarely feel
      confident that my sunglasses can keep up with my activities – be it
      hiking, running, or playing with my kids. I mournfully remember the
      day that a friend of mine inadvertently karate chopped a very
      expensive pair of shades while we were playing ultimate Frisbee.
      Durability matters. The various forms of sunlight and the extensive
      tree cover on the west side of the Cascades demands sunglasses that
      both protect from rays and transition well to shade. Thus,
      versatility is paramount to seeing the trail. Fit relates to the
      size of my head – it's big! I've worn too many pairs of sunglasses
      that fit my head so poorly they added pressure and caused headaches.
      Packability – a word that my computer believes I invented – is
      essential to the Northwest. We just never know when the sun will
      peak its head out, but we must be prepared.

      FIELD CONDITIONS
      Most of my hiking takes place in the Central Cascades, an area that
      lately has ranged from 30 to 70F (0 to 20C) with projections into the
      90sF (32C) this summer. These areas are characterized by dense tree
      cover and steep terrain from 1000 to 5000 feet (305 to 1524m) of
      elevation gain. I will also be crewing Primal Quest Montana in June
      and July. Though the temperatures will probably be the same as the
      Central Cascades, the chances of constant sunshine during these ten
      days will increase – as will my need for a reliable pair of shades.
      I will have numerous opportunities to explore the various mountain
      ranges while I wait for my team to arrive at various transition
      areas. I'm hoping these excursions may even reach 10,000 feet
      (3048m), especially with base camp at at least 4000 feet (1219m).
      Regardless of my location, all of my hiking is light weight (less
      than 25 pounds [11kg]), and I always log at least 4 miles (6.44km) --
      the emphasis is on speed (1 to 4 hours) and hill climbing (I train
      with adventure racers at least once a week).

      TEST PLAN
      My test plan revolves around the areas I mentioned in my initial
      thoughts. They may be summarized by considering comfort and
      functionality.

      Comfort: Do I notice the sunglasses while I'm wearing them?
      1. Do the pressure points give me headaches?
      2. Do they "bounce" when I'm running?
      3. Does the tinting or curvature of the lens prevent or
      produce headaches?
      4. How do they react to sweat?

      Functionality: Do I find myself listing the Native Dash XPs
      as a necessary compliment to my lightweight hiking?
      1. Do they also help in windy conditions?
      2. Do they impede or assist under tree cover?
      3. Do they fit within the pack without threatening the
      integrity of the frames?

      Previous Reports:
      I am a newbie, so I only have two owner reviews in the system. They
      are at the address below.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ken%20Norris

      Thanks for considering me!
      Ken