Application to test the Arrow Rock 30F sleeping bag Arnold

  • al peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2008
      Application to test the Arrow Rock 30F sleeping bag

      Arnold Peterson
      I have read the by-laws and all the required material including BGT
      Bylaws v. 0609 and will abide by the rules. I have also mailed in a
      signed test agreement in late 2006.

      Date: November 10, 2007

      Biographical Information
      Name Arnold Peterson
      Age 69
      Gender M
      Height 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      Weight 165 lb (74.8 kg)
      Email Address ALP4982 AT yahoo DOT com
      Location Wilmington Massachusetts USA

      Backpacking Background: At this time almost all my experience has
      been hiking in New Hampshire, Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick,
      and Nova Scotia Canada using an 11 lb (5 kg) day pack. I have
      backpacked on Mt. Washington and Imp Shelter located between North
      Carter and Mount Moriah mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will
      be writing about has been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in
      New Hampshire. I have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers
      (1219 m) of New Hampshire. My longest day hike was 12 hours covering
      almost 20 miles (32 km). I spend most of my time in Mt Lafayette
      5260 ft (160 m) area of New Hampshire. There is usually snow and ice
      above 2500 ft (762 m) starting in late October.

      Test plan for the Arrow Rock 30F sleeping bag
      In "58" I went backpacking without a tent and only a sleeping bag. I
      had to contend with hail and rain, not a lot of fun. In "74", I
      started to do a lot of backpacking and camping with tents.
      My test plan would be built around function, comfort, usability, and
      durability. I will be testing in NH, ME, and VT USA. The
      temperatures could typically be as low as -20 F (-29 C). Rain and
      snow is almost a certainty. Mt Washington has had temperatures as
      low as -60 F (-51 C) and has recorded the strongest winds on earth at
      231 MPH (372 km/hr). This year I did not go south and geared up for
      colder hiking weather. Temperatures change greatly from the base of
      the mountain with altitudes ranging from 4000 to 6000 ft (1219-1829
      m). Being able to stay warm is more than comfort, it is survival.
      The following mountains are on my winter agenda: Sandwich Mt 980 ft
      (121 m), Mt Nancy 3926 ft (1197 m), Mt Weeks N peak 33901 ft (1189
      m), Mt Weeks S peak 3885 ft (3885 m), Vose Spur 3862 ft (1177 m). The
      Sleepers E peak 860 (1177 M), Nubble Peak 3813 ft (1162 m), and
      Cannon Balls NE peak 3769 ft (1149 m), which are all part of the New
      England Hundred Highest Peaks. Contingency peaks would be Mt Lincoln
      5089 ft (1551 m), Mt Liberty 4489 ft (1359 M) and Mt Moosilauke 4802
      ft (1464 M). A backpack with a small group from my ski club is being
      planned for late May or early June in south central Massachusetts.
      This will serve as a training backpack and after that the backpacking
      areas in the White Mountains of New Hampshire should be dry enough to
      camp out.

      My test plan would be built around function, ease of use, and
      durability. I will be looking to camp in areas and elevations where
      the overnight temperature will be much lower than 35 F () Rain is a
      possibility on many trips. The initial testing will be a 1-2 night
      backpacking at a local forest and in a forest east of Manchester New
      Hampshire. This is something I have done with all my backpacking

      Function and ease of use
      I will investigate compatibility issues with my backpack. One of my
      goals is to explore products that will extend the amount of time I
      spend living outdoors. The following issues will be addressed using
      the Arrow Rock 30F sleeping bag, Getting up in the morning and ready
      for the trail. How easy will it be to compress and pack the sleeping
      bag? How good is the ventilation? This bag has some interesting and
      useful features. I test how well my down pillow works in the pocket.
      Will the zipper get caught easily in the material? If it does get
      caught, is it easy to fix? Does the zipper system allow the bottom
      to open if temperatures get too warm for the feet? An interesting
      feature is the continuous baffle construction that keeps insulation
      in places yet allows for adjustment of the amount that is left on
      top. This is very nice when temperatures vary greatly during the
      night. I recently experienced a 50 F shift in temperture during the
      night. I will look into how well the ventilation at the foot of the
      bag works.

      How well will the Arrow Rock 30F sleeping bag stand up to trail
      use? I will be using the zipper a lot especially for nature calls.
      I will be looking for smooth operating zippers over the long haul.

      Testing will also be done in the White mountains of NH USA. It is
      also possible that I will be testing it in some local Massachusetts
      State Forrest and in the mountains of Vermont. The mountains I plan
      on hiking will have elevations of 4-5 thousand ft (1219-1824 m). I
      will note any problems if I will need to pack a wet shelter
      Ventilation and comfort are my main concerns. Am I fully rested in
      the morning and ready for another day of hiking?

      Previously Written Reports

      Current Projects

      LTR Big Agnes sleeping bag system and air pad due May 6
      LTR Black Diamond Headlamp due May 13
      LTR Kahtoola MICROspikes June 3
      LTR Gregory Whitney Backpack due July 8
      LTR Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy due July 22
      I don't see any problems in achieving these goals.
      Applications under consideration Black Diamond Contour Elliptic
      Carbon Trekking Poles.
      I wish to thank those who will be evaluating my application for the
      Arrow Rock 30F sleeping bag.
      Arnold Peterson