APPLICATION: Sierra Designs Velox 2 Tent - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2008
      Please add my application for review.

      APPLICATION: Sierra Designs Velox 2 Tent

      Please review and hopefully accept my application to
      test the Sierra Designs Velox 2 Tent. If I meet all
      the criteria for testing and if I'm selected I would
      test the tent thoroughly during the required four
      month testing period.

      I have read and understood the current requirements in
      the Survival Guide Version 0609, and I agree to comply
      with all of these requirements as a tester
      particularly those stated in Chapter 4 and Chapter 5
      as of April 2008. I also have a signed tester
      agreement on file.

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age: 55
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 138 lb (63 kg)
      Email: woodswoman2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA
      Date: April 30, 2008

      Backpacking Background: For the last 17 years,
      backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season
      backpacker and an off-trail navigator. Although I do
      take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest,
      the majority of my trips are in Michigan and Canada.
      My pack weight varies considerably, but my base weight
      is under 18 lb (8 kg). I'm primarily a tarp camper,
      who averages over 50 nights a year backpacking in a
      huge variety of weather conditions including
      relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero (0 F/-18 C)

      Test Field Locations (Backpacking):

      My backpacking schedule for the next four months is
      mostly complete so I can say with certainty that I
      will at the minimum take at least one four-to-eight
      day trip per month during the next four months.

      Already scheduled trips include two trips in the month
      of May, one being a four-day trip on a section of the
      North Country Trail in Upper Michigan and the other is
      a five-day trip on the Coastal Trail (Lake Superior
      Provincial Park) in Ontario, Canada.

      I also have an eight-day bushwhack trip to the
      Porcupine Mts Wilderness (Michigan) planned for June
      and I already have secured a permit for a six-night
      backcountry trip to the Tetons (Wyoming) in late
      July-early August.

      If the test period goes into late August and early
      September, I have two trips planned for that period in
      Michigan (a six-day trip to the McCormick Wilderness
      and a ten-day solo trip to Isle Royale National Park).

      This agenda will be filled in with other trips as time
      allows especially quick jaunts to nearby islands.

      Test Field Conditions (Michigan, USA and Ontario,
      Canada Backpacking):

      Conditions for the Michigan and Canada-based trips
      during the next four months will include a good dose
      of rain, clouds, and sun. Average precipitation during
      those four months add up to over 14 in (36 cm). The
      testing conditions will be at low elevation or low
      altitude 600 ft (183 m) to 2000 ft (610 m), with cold
      to slightly warm conditions and mid-to-high range
      humidity(60-100) percent. Temperatures will vary from
      the average high in July of 76 F (23 C) to the average
      low in May of 39 F(4 C) in Michigan and 37 F (3 C) for
      the Canada trip.

      All of the above backpacking trips will be taken to
      either hilly boreal and deciduous forests with swamp
      areas and lakeshore hiking. The latter involves
      climbing and descending to the shore of Lake Superior
      multiple times via crude trails along cliffs or
      through massive boulders and large cobble beaches. The
      trail surfaces for other trips are generally dirt,
      rocks and roots. Some areas require scrambling on rock
      slabs or traversing outcroppings. Bushwhacking trips
      are taken through dense forest with areas of swampland
      and usually also require river crossings.

      Test Field Conditions (Grand Teton National Park,

      Late July and early August temperatures are expected
      to be mainly in the 70 F (21 C) to 80 F (27 C) range
      during the daytime hours and nights will chill to
      around 40 F (4 C). Afternoon thundershowers are
      common. Elevation ranges from over 7000 ft (2100 m) to
      over 10000 ft(3000 m). Mountainous rocky terrain is
      the norm.

      Why I would like to test the Sierra Designs Velox 2

      I'm primarily a tarp and bivy camper most of the year.
      However, I do love to test tents and I haven't done so
      for a few years. It is finally springtime
      (calendar-wise) here, except for the below freezing
      temperatures and the lingering snow patches in the
      woods. I know that bug, black fly and tick season is
      going to be here within the month and last throughout
      the summer. I would love to test the Sierra Designs
      Velox 2 Tent as an alternative to my usual set-up. It
      would likely provide a bug-free and especially
      tick-free environment for my sleeping hours.

      I would test the tent both solo and with a partner.
      Usually friends are more than happy to share the space
      in a tent as they don't have to carry a shelter. On
      one of my trips, I will be sharing a shelter with my
      sister in Grand Teton National Park. Not only do we
      have a six-night backpack planned there but we will
      also be in the park for four additional nights base

      I have also applied to test the MontBell Crescent 2
      Tent. Both tents have very different attributes and I
      would be willing to test either one.

      Test Plan:

      My test plan for the Sierra Designs Velox 2 Tent would
      include all the normal parameters that I would test
      for on any tent. They include the following qualities
      plus anymore that I would find during the four month
      test period. I would especially monitor condensation
      issues in a high humidity and often wet environment. I
      promise to make it my shelter of choice for the four
      month period of testing.

      Test Plan Specifics:

      Will there be sufficient room for myself and some of
      my gear in the Velox 2 Tent? I would also like to test
      it with a partner. Will the tent be comfortable and
      roomy enough with two people in it so that each person
      has a little space of their own?
      Will the tent be lengthy enough so that my sleeping
      bag does not touch the walls of the tent and become
      wet from condensation? Will I easily be able to get in
      and out of the tent without catching part of my body
      on the entrance? Will the tent be tall enough so that
      I am not constantly wiping the top of the tent with my
      head? Will two people be able to sit upright at the
      same time without hitting their heads on the

      Will the weight of the tent be as advertised? I
      normally use a tarp, net bivy or hammock during the
      spring and summer months. Will the weight of the tent
      hinder me from wanting to carry it after the test
      period or will the features of the tent be so
      outstanding that I will prefer it over my tarp, bivy
      or hammock? Even though the tent is rather
      lightweight, my other non-tent options are even

      Will the design of the tent with the main body made
      out of mesh allow sufficient ventilation or will the
      fly block most of it? The bulk of my testing will
      occur in a high humidity semi-warm to warm
      environment. Will the tent be able to transfer body
      moisture to the outside quickly and not heavily
      condense the interior of the tent's fly? Will the
      H-Clip allow me to tension the peak for more

      Will the tent require any additional seam sealing or
      is it ready to go? Will the tent be easy to anchor?
      How long will it take to set up the tent and take it
      down? Will it be easy to pitch in the middle of a
      rainstorm with strong winds? Will the locking pole
      tips and color-coded stake loops make set-up easier?
      Will the Quick Pitch Swivel Hub with H-Clip be easy to
      assemble with the poles? Will the tensioners on the
      vestibules help me achieve a tight pitch? Will I be
      able to easily pack the tent and poles in the stuff
      sack provided or will be a challenge to get it all in
      properly? Will it be easier to separate the components
      of the tent system and pack them separately? Will I be
      able to easily stow the tent in my backpack without
      major reconfiguration of items stowed in there?

      Will the 70D Denier Nylon Taffeta Superseal floor stay
      watertight? Will the fly of the tent that is made out
      of 40D HT Rip Stop Nylon PU/Silicon stay water
      resistant and be strong enough to withstand a
      torrential storm? Will the DAC Featherlite poles stand
      up to repeated use? Will the locking pole tips help
      keep the tent securely in place?

      Will the 70D Nylon floor withstand puncture
      when setting it up on uneven surfaces that I mostly
      find while bushwhacking? This tent will rarely see a
      tent pad or flat surface. Will the lightweight 40D HT
      Rip Stop Nylon of the fly stay puncture proof if small
      tree branches and debris hit the tent during a wind
      storm? Will the Swift Clips and Swivel Hub be sturdy
      enough to handle a lot of use or will they break
      easily? Will the Tent Guard with Ultra Fresh prevent
      the tent from mildew and other problems if it is
      stored temporarily wet?

      I will be using this tent on both dry and wet barren
      rocky surfaces as well as on top of seasonal dead
      vegetation and new spring vegetation - Will it adapt
      to different surfaces for set-up purposes? Will the
      tent materials adapt to differences in temperature and
      humidity or will they sag easily?

      Special Features:
      Will the vestibules be actually useful or are they
      too small and be a hindrance in getting in and out of
      the tent? Will there be enough room so that I can
      remove my trail shoes in the vestibules? Will I be
      able to store anything in the vestibules? Do both
      vestibule doors needs to be shut if there is inclement
      weather or if they are left open will there be enough
      protection to eliminate rain from blowing in the tent?
      Will I be able to store anything in the gear pockets
      without additional protection to the item (stuff
      sack)- that is, will the gear get wet from being next
      to the outside wall? Are the gear pockets located in a
      handy place?

      Test Load

      I currently have a test load of five items. Two of the
      items are in the LTR stage and are definitely
      winter-gear items (Kahtoola MICROspikes and ID Penguin
      Bivy) so testing will slow to a halt soon. The
      winter-specific Penguin Bivy may seem to conflict with
      testing a tent but let me explain the dynamics. I have
      just submitted the FR with seven nights of testing and
      I will be taking at least one more trip for four
      nights (starting this Thursday)for the LTR (before the
      bugs emerge). I also have a five-night trip planned in
      a few weeks that I may still take the bivy on if the
      ticks and black flies haven't arrived yet. The Penguin
      Bivy is classified as a winter bivy and has no bug
      netting. I don't feel that there is a conflict of
      interest with me testing a tent as I have and will
      complete extensive testing (eleven or more nights) on
      the bivy before the ticks and bugs limit my usage.
      Besides, by the time the application, selection and
      shipping process occurs, it likely wouldn't be an
      issue anyway.

      I have also just uploaded another OR in April as I try
      to contribute to the review process regularly.

      In the past I have tested multiple products
      effectively at one time without any difficulty. I
      believe I can far exceed the test requirements and
      reporting if I am selected to test as I'm out in the
      field most of the time. My past reports surely reflect
      on that. However, with my careful use of time
      management at home, my reports are both detailed and
      always on time.

      Current Tests and Stages (5):

      -Kahtoola MICROspikes - LTR stage (due June 3)
      -Integral Designs Penguin Bivy - LTR stage (FR
      submitted, waiting for edit)
      -Patagonia Micro Puff Vest - FR stage (due May 20)
      -Oboz Yellowstone Boots - FR stage (due June 19)
      -GSI Cookware - FR stage (due June 24)

      Other Applications Pending: (3)

      Black Diamond Contour Elliptical Poles
      MontBell Mistral Parka
      MontBell Crescent 2 Tent

      All of my Completed Tests (28) and Owner Reviews (15)
      can be linked at:

      Monitor Duties: (1)

      -MSR Dragontail Tent

      Thank You to Sierra Designs and BackpackGearTest for
      considering and evaluating my application for the
      Velox 2 Tent.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and