FR LUNA SPORT Moons - Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo Ann Moffi
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29 7:50 AM
      Hi Mike,

      Here is the last of my reports on the Luna stuff, the Moons.

      http://snipurl.com/26bgq

      Thanks for the edits!
      Jo Ann

      *****************************
      FIELD REPORT
      Date: April 29, 2008

      About 2 weeks after the first batch of LUNA Sport Moons arrived,
      another package came from the manufacturer with an additional 2
      packages of individual serving packages in each flavour for a total of
      12 packages of product. Yay! All but 4 packets were consumed over the
      past three months.

      Testing Conditions and Locations:
      The weather has been ideal this winter; we've had heavy snowfall
      during the week with the weekends sunny and clear. The temperatures
      ranged from -10 to 23 C (14 to 73 F) for the weekends over the course
      of the Field Report period. During the week is a different story. Snow
      accumulation has been up to 0.6 m (2 ft) in less than 12 hours on a
      couple of occasions. We've also had frigid temperatures dropping to
      -29 C (-20 F) with winds blowing out of the east at 33 km/h (20 mph).
      I generally avoid doing much physical activity outdoors on those days.

      Locations I consumed the Moons where in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and
      the Hiawatha Highlands in the Algoma region, just outside of Sault
      Ste. Marie. This area has many linked trails meandering through red
      and white pine old-growth forests and dense boreal stands of jack pine
      and spruce linked by a network of rivers, lakes, and wetlands. I also
      took them with me when ice hiking on Lake Superior near Batchewana
      Bay, Ontario. Elevations range from 225 to 315 m (738 to 1033 ft)
      above sea level.

      I used the LUNA Sport Moons snowshoeing, hiking, and running over the
      past three months. The snowshoeing and hiking were generally from 1-3
      hours long. I didn't keep track of the snowshoeing mileage as we were
      meandering along trails that weren't necessarily marked and sometimes
      making our own trails. Hikes were from 4 to 7 km (2.5 to 4.4 mi) long
      and runs were just under 4 km (2.5 mi). Since I have 4 packages left,
      I consumed 8 packages over the past 12 weeks.

      Before Consuming the Moons:
      I carried the Moons either in the top pocket of my backpack while
      snowshoeing and hiking or in a jacket or pants pocket while running.
      The packaging was easy to open - both the lower and upper edge of the
      packaging was serrated so that I could tear the package easily
      anywhere along its length. The packaging was then easily stowed back
      in my pack or pocket until I could dispose of it.

      Consuming the Moons:
      Although each flavour of the Moons had its unique taste, I didn't
      favour any one over the others. I equally enjoyed all three. They
      weren't over powering nor were the flavours too weak. They have the
      texture similar to that of a Gummi Bear candy (a small
      rubbery-textured candy in the shape of a bear).

      I consumed the moons on a couple of my runs, but at 4 km (2.5 mi) I
      found the runs were much to short to necessitate the need for an
      energy chew. I didn't notice any appreciable difference between a run
      where I ate the moons and one that I didn't. I used these runs as more
      of a test for the consistency of the Moons at various temperatures. On
      -16 C (3 F) day, I took the Moons out of the packaging at home and put
      them in an outside pocket so that they would be more exposed to the
      cold. They remained chewy, but the outside did get a bit thicker.
      After a few seconds of resting against the inside of my cheek, the
      Moons warmed and were easily chewed. I also noted that on the runs it
      was difficult to continue running and chew at the same time. It made
      breathing harder to do as I am primarily a mouth breather during
      aerobic activity.

      The Moons are much more suited to a longer snowshoe or hike. I ate the
      other 6 packages while either snowshoeing or hiking. I didn't feel
      drained nor did I notice any appreciable hunger after a hike or
      snowshoe that I ate the Moons on.

      I am very happy to say the Moons are a nice alternative to eating an
      energy bar or other such trail snack. They provide me with an adequate
      amount of energy without making me feel bloated or too full. I would
      definitely consider the Moons as a snack choice for my future
      backpacking and hiking trips.

      Likes:
      Easily opened packaging
      Taste of all flavours

      Dislikes:
      None!

      This concludes my Field Report. Thank you to BackpackGearTest and Clif
      Bar & Co. for the opportunity to test the LUNA Sport Moons.
    • Mike C.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29 10:03 AM
        JoAnn,

        Below are your edits. If I understand your report correctly, you
        haven't consumed all of the product. Since your report isn't due
        until May 29th, it seems to me you should wait until either you've
        consumed all of the product, or are within two weeks of the due
        date. Any moderator thoughts on this? I couldn't find anything in
        the bylaws, but that would be my understanding . . . you only post
        earlier than 2 weeks prior to the due date if you've consumed all
        the product.

        Aside from that, your report looks great Very descriptive. I
        partiuclarly liked your comment about how they are hard to eat
        during heavy exertion as you generally breathe through your mouth.
        That's just the kind of stuff I look for in reports I'm
        reading . . . things I probably wouldn't have even considered prior
        to a purchase.

        Just a few minor things below . . . mostly surrounding wording, and
        I'm open to discussion on any of them. As usual, EDITS: Please
        Change, Edits: Please change something, Comment: just that.

        Thanks!

        Mike C.

        <SNIP>

        Locations I consumed the Moons where in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
        and the Hiawatha Highlands in the Algoma region, just outside of
        Sault Ste. Marie.

        EDIT: I believe you meant to say "were" in Sault Ste. Marie . . .

        <SNIP>

        I used the LUNA Sport Moons snowshoeing, hiking, and running over
        the past three months. The snowshoeing and hiking were generally
        from 1-3 hours long.

        Edit: I think it would read better if you added "trips"
        or "excursions" or something between "hiking" and "were."

        <SNIP>

        Before Consuming the Moons:
        I carried the Moons either in the top pocket of my backpack while
        snowshoeing and hiking or in a jacket or pants pocket while running.
        The packaging was easy to open - both the lower and upper edge of
        the packaging was serrated so that I could tear the package easily
        anywhere along its length.

        Edit: Not to go into the reasons I think this, but please consider
        changing the last sentence to read: "both the lower and upper edges
        of the packaging were serrated . . . ". I won't fight you if you
        don't want to change this, but I think it reads much better.

        <SNIP>

        Consuming the Moons:
        Although each flavour of the Moons had its unique taste, I didn't
        favour any one over the others.

        Edit: either "had its own unique taste" or "had a unique taste"
        would work better here I think.

        I equally enjoyed all three. They weren't over powering nor were the
        flavours too weak. They have the texture similar to that of a Gummi
        Bear candy (a small rubbery-textured candy in the shape of a bear).

        Edit: "They have a texture . . . " reads better to me.

        I consumed the moons on a couple of my runs, but at 4 km (2.5 mi) I
        found the runs were much to short to necessitate the need for an
        energy chew. I didn't notice any appreciable difference between a
        run where I ate the moons and one that I didn't. I used these runs
        as more of a test for the consistency of the Moons at various
        temperatures. On -16 C (3 F) day, I took the Moons out of the
        packaging at home and put them in an outside pocket so that they
        would be more exposed to the cold. They remained chewy, but the
        outside did get a bit thicker.

        Edit: I think it might be good to say "tougher" here rather than
        thicker, lest someone think they grow when the get cold.

        <END>
      • Mike C.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29 10:10 AM
            Mike and Jo Ann,

            It would be better to wait to post the report until you have consumed all of
            the product - or come to the actual due date. If you know that for some
            reason you won't be able to use anymore, than submitting now makes sense.

            Leesa

          • Jo Ann Moffi
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29 3:18 PM
              It is my understanding that a consumable test product is due 3 months
              from the IR, or 1/2 way between the reporting dates for the FR and the
              LTR. This is the only reason why I submitted my report today. If I'm
              wrong, I have no problem finishing off the product and resubmitting in
              another month.

              Jo Ann

              On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Leesa J <leesaj@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > flavours too weak. They have the texture similar to that of a Gummi
              > > Bear candy (a small rubbery-textured candy in the shape of a bear).
              > >
              > > Edit: "They have a texture . . . " reads better to me.
              > >
              > > I consumed the moons on a couple of my runs, but at 4 km (2.5 mi) I
              > > found the runs were much to short to necessitate the need for an
              > > energy chew. I didn't notice any appreciable difference between a
              > > run where I ate the moons and one that I didn't. I used these runs
              > > as more of a test for the consistency of the Moons at various
              > > temperatures. On -16 C (3 F) day, I took the Moons out of the
              > > packaging at home and put them in an outside pocket so that they
              > > would be more exposed to the cold. They remained chewy, but the
              > > outside did get a bit thicker.
              > >
              > > Edit: I think it might be good to say "tougher" here rather than
              > > thicker, lest someone think they grow when the get cold.

            • Jason Boyle
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29 4:56 PM
                Jo Ann is correct, consumables are three months long. Bridget
                doesn't like three month tests though...

                Jason B
                Test Scheduling Moderator

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Ann Moffi"
                <jomoffi@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > I consumed the moons on a couple of my runs, but at 4 km (2.5
                mi) I
                > > > found the runs were much to short to necessitate the need for
                an
                > > > energy chew. I didn't notice any appreciable difference
                between a
                > > > run where I ate the moons and one that I didn't. I used these
                runs
                > > > as more of a test for the consistency of the Moons at various
                > > > temperatures. On -16 C (3 F) day, I took the Moons out of the
                > > > packaging at home and put them in an outside pocket so that
                they
                > > > would be more exposed to the cold. They remained chewy, but the
                > > > outside did get a bit thicker.
                > > >
                > > > Edit: I think it might be good to say "tougher" here rather
                than
                > > > thicker, lest someone think they grow when the get cold.

              • Leesa J
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29 5:54 PM
                  Oh - I thought this one started prior to the 3 month change? I'll have to
                  watch BridGeT more closely on food tests to make sure they are on 3 and not
                  4 month schedules.

                  Leesa

                • Jo Ann Moffi
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                    In light of all this, I've made the changes necessary and I will
                    upload once my IR is deleted.

                    Thanks,
                    Jo Ann