POST: IR - Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
      Initial Report - Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex -
      Chuck Carnes

      Html Version:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-RuffWear%20BarknBoots-CC/

      Text Version:
      RUFFWEAR
      Bark'n Boots Grip Trex
      Initial Report: April 26, 2008

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION (Owner)
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft. 0 in (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      E-mail address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Greenville, South Carolina USA

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION (Tester)
      Name: Samson
      Breed: Labrador Retriever / Springer Spaniel
      Age: 7 months
      Gender: Male
      Weight: 55 lb (25 kg)
      Foot Measurement (at widest point): 3 in (7 cm)

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the
      outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking since then. I consider myself a
      lightweight hiker, usually carrying 20 – 30 pounds
      (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in length. I hike at
      an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3 kph). I am a one-man
      tent camper for now. I like to carry a single trekking
      pole when I hike to help relieve stress to my legs and
      knees. I like to get out on the trail as often as I
      can.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Ruff Wear
      Model: Bark'n Boots Grip Trex
      Size: Large
      Color: Red
      Year of manufacture: 2008
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Actual Weight: 2 oz (57 g) (per boot)
      MSRP: $99.95 USD

      I N I T I A L R E P O R T
      April 26, 2008
      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots are essentially trail
      running shoes for dogs. They have a Vibram (TM) sole
      and mesh uppers. The boots are held onto the dogs foot
      with a wrap around hook and loop fastener. The upper
      mesh material allows air to get to the dogs paw and to
      allow water to extract fairly easily to keep down on
      sweating and causing irritation to the dogs pads and
      skin. There is an expansion area on the top for growth
      and the perfect fit. The sides and the toe area have
      rubber material for protection of the sides and toes
      of the dog on rough terrain. The Vibram (TM) sole has
      a 'cross' pattern in the lugs to give the dog that
      extra grip on slick surfaces.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      The Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots arrived in a shoe box much
      like human shoes come in. It came with two pair (four
      shoes) and a bag to keep the shoes in when not in use.
      I was very impressed with the boots as they have most,
      if not all, of the same features as a human trail
      running shoe. Ruff Wear seems to have put a lot of
      thought into designing the boots and have taken much
      consideration in the dogs paw anatomy and the terrain
      that the dog would encounter.

      I placed the boots on Samson the moment I opened the
      box. It was actually comical to see him 'prancing'
      around wondering what those things were on his feet.
      After I got him outside and running a bit, they didn't
      seem to bother him. Only when he is sitting or just
      standing his attention is drawn to the boots. They
      seem a little big on him but over the next four months
      I am sure he will grow into them as that is when he
      will do most of his growing. I think they will work
      great once we get out into the wilderness where he can
      truly try them out.

      That's Good:
      - Mesh uppers
      - Vibram (TM) soles
      - Expansion for growth and custom fit
      - Lightweight

      That's Bad:
      - None so far

      This concludes my Initial Report
      Please check back in June for my Field Report.
      Thank you Ruff Wear and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Heather
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        Hey Chuck,

        No edits here. Nice html, and poor Samson looks embarrassed to be in a
        pic with those boots, its freakin hilarious. Looking forward to all
        the reports, I'm wondering which dog will chew them off first.

        Thanks,
        Heather

        re: ruff wear grip trex bark boots
      • Chuck Carnes
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2008
          Hahahaha...thank you. Yeah he's not to sure about them
          and I would put bets on my dog chewing them off first
          if I gave him about 2 minutes by himself.

          Chuck

          --- Heather <alekto@...> wrote:

          > Hey Chuck,
          >
          > No edits here. Nice html, and poor Samson looks
          > embarrassed to be in a
          > pic with those boots, its freakin hilarious. Looking
          > forward to all
          > the reports, I'm wondering which dog will chew them
          > off first.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Heather
          >
          > re: ruff wear grip trex bark boots

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Jo Ann Moffi
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2008
            We can get some stuff called Bitter Apple here in Canada. It works
            great to keep dogs from chewing on stuff they're not supposed to.

            My guys are too old for that chewing stuff now. Morgan has been
            wearing boots her whole life, but Fergus doesn't. Somehow he can
            always manage to get them off, even without using his mouth. We just
            don't even bother on him anymore and he doesn't seem to mind. His feet
            aren't as sensitive as Morgan's anyway.

            Good luck him! I look forward to reading how he does.

            Jo Ann