IR Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo Ann Moffi
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2008
      Hi Heather,

      Here is my IR for the Bark'n Boots. Sorry, all you're getting is
      Morgan's sexy legs in the picture!

      HTML: http://snipurl.com/25opc

      Thanks for the edits!
      Jo Ann

      RUFF WEAR BARK'N BOOTS GRIP TREX

      Initial Report April 24, 2008

      RuffWear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex Photo

      TESTER INFORMATION
      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Ruff Wear, Inc
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.ruffwear.com/
      Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $59.95
      Colour: Red Currant (also available in Obsidian Black)
      Size: Large (Also available in XXS, XS, S, M, XL, XL, and XXL))
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Actual Weight: 57 g (2 oz) for one boot
      Sizing Chart:
      Size Paw Width
      XXS 51 mm (2 in)
      XS 57 mm (2.25 in)
      S 64 mm (2.5 in)
      M 70 mm (2.75 in)
      L 76 mm (3 in)
      XL 83 mm (3.25 in)
      XXL 95 mm (3.75 in)

      Warranty: Guaranteed to be free of defects in materials and
      workmanship. An authorized dealer or the manufacturer will either
      repair or replace the product at their discretion.
      Name Jo Ann Moffi
      Age 34
      Gender Female
      Height 168 cm (5ft 6 in)
      Weight 84 kg (185 lbs)
      Email Address jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I was introduced to backpacking about 16 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities together ever
      since. We live in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of
      time in both countries for our outdoor excursions. When making a
      decision on gear, I like to go lightweight and practical. I pack as
      light as possible without denying myself little luxuries.

      Canine Tester
      Name: Morgan Moffi
      Age: 11
      Breed: Golden Retriever
      Height: 58 cm (23 in)
      Weight: 25 kg (55 lbs)
      Length: 58 cm (23 in)
      Girth: 76 cm (30 in)
      Foot Size: 76 mm (3 in) long, 57 mm (2.25 in) wide

      INITIAL REPORT
      April 24, 2008

      Received April 19, 2008

      The Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex is a dog boot designed after
      human foot wear with Vibram sole.

      There are many features of the boots; here are a few specifically
      mentioned by the manufacturer:

      Built on an anatomical mold like a human shoe - For consistent sizing an fit.
      Air mesh upper - This allows for breathability and drainage.
      Expansion gusset - This makes the boot easier to get on and allows
      more flexibility in the way the boot fits around the dog's leg.
      Reflective trim - For visibility.
      Sure Cinch closure - A strap and lash tab to make sure the boot stays
      on the dog's foot.
      Seamless Construction - To reduce friction on the dog's foot and leg.
      Grip Cuff - A rubbery coating around the top edge of the boot that
      helps to grip the dog's fur.
      Vibram sole and Omnidirectional X lug - For traction.
      Non-marking sole - for use indoors and outdoors.
      Extradurable - For a long lasting dog boot.

      Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots On Paws Photo

      The boots are described as 'all-condition, all-terrain, all-season'.
      They fit over the dogs paw up the leg to the carpal pad which is the
      last pad found part way up a dog's leg on the front legs, an
      evolutionary remnant equivalent to the human thumb. They bend about
      1/3 of the way up the boot, right about at the point where the 'Ruff
      Wear' logo is on all four boots.

      Initial Impressions

      My first thought after taking the boots out of the box was 'wow, these
      are stiff!'. I wasn't sure how Morgan was going to take to the boots
      as her usual footwear is a lot more flexible. In the past, her boots
      have usually been made out of a fleece material with a thicker
      rubberized fabric sewn to the bottom.

      The bottoms of the boots have lots of grip. Normally I have avoided
      putting the boots on until we were at the trail head and ready to head
      out as Morgan's current boots could be quite slippery on tile or other
      smooth surfaces. Morgan tried the boots on in the house and she didn't
      have any problems using them on the linoleum in our kitchen. The Sure
      Cinch closure is easy to use, although all the hook and loop fasteners
      attach counter clockwise. This means there is no difference to the
      boots in terms of right and left side of the dog. Other boots we have
      used have two boots that do up counter clockwise for the left side of
      the dog and clockwise for the right side of the dog. I believe this is
      to prevent the hook and loop fasteners from catching on the inside of
      the opposite leg. It will be interesting to see if this is an issue
      with these boots.

      Over the next four months, Morgan will be using the Ruff Wear Bark'n
      Boots Grip Trex for any day hikes or backpacking trips she accompanies
      us on. I look forward to reporting on the results she experiences
      while backpacking this season! This concludes my Initial Report.
      Please check back in approximately two months for the addition of the
      Field Report. Thank you to BackpackGearTest and to Ruff Wear, Inc. for
      the opportunity to test the Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex.
    • Heather
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Jo Ann,

        Tell your dog she nice legs. :)

        Html looks good, just a tiny edit below.

        Thanks,
        Heather

        ---
        >Built on an anatomical mold like a human shoe - For consistent sizing
        >an fit.

        EDIT- `and'

        Also, under manufacturer specs do we need to put the country of
        currency in the price? Not clear on that but I always added US or
        whatever. No big deal, someone let me know what the word on that
        is...thanks!

        re: grip trex bark'n boots ruff wear