Application: LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen. I
      have read the Survival Guide v.0609 and my tester agreement is on
      file.

      Application to test the LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Washington, DC, USA

      Brief Background:
      I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost five years ago. Most
      of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I
      have recently finished 1200+ miles (1930+ km) of the Appalachian
      trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not spending a
      fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 20lbs (9 kg) with food
      for 2-3 days. I'm still new to winter camping, but I recently just
      started getting into kayak camping.

      Test Plan:
      As the DC area moves into spring, the weather becomes warm and humid
      with some cold driving rains. Which means equal parts muddy trails,
      and puddles, with dry rocks and leaves. I am interested in testing
      this stove as I have never used a canister type stove before and have
      been curious. I am interested in seeing if they are as easy to use as
      they seem. Is the stove stable, especially with a loaded pot on top.
      How well does the cup rest on the pot supports. Is the stove easy to
      screw into the canister. Is it possible for the stove to incur damage
      while left screwed to the canister for storage as suggested.

      My normal mode of cooking at camp is to heat up water, dump into a bag
      and rehydrate some freezer bag cooking. How full can the cup be filled
      before the possibility of boil overs. Does the stove put out enough
      heat to bring the contents of the cup to a full boil. Does the cup
      fit into the neoprene koozy. Does the cup come with a pouring spout.
      How tall is the cup. Will it be possible to eat directly from the cup
      or will it be hard to get food out of the bottom of the cup. Will
      food burn to the bottom due to the depth of the cup. Can the cup be
      safely stirred with a spoon to prevent scorching. How hard will it be
      to clean the cup after a cooked meal. Does the cup have a rounded
      corner or a square corner at the bottom. Does the handle of the cup
      get hot when the cup is heated.

      How well stitched is the neoprene koozy. Does the poly cup slide in
      and out easily from the koozy. How easy is the koozy to fold in half
      and fit around a fuel canister. How durable is the poly cup. Is it
      possible to find replacement cups should this cup crack or break. How
      easy is it to measure liquids with an opaque cup. Will it be possible
      to see the water level through the cup or the lines through on the
      inside. The cup is quite deep. Will eating from the cup be a
      problem. Will I be able to reach all the way to the bottom. A long
      handled spoon is recommended but are the corners of the cup rounded
      for easy food removal or square.

      The whole setup is designed to fit into the cup when not in use. Is
      there some mechanism to keep the poly cup and neoprene koozy in place
      on the cup to prevent items from falling out. Will placing the
      canister in the cup cause scratching on the surface. Will any
      resulting scratches form rust. If there is any moisture left in the
      pot will it cause the canister to rust. Does the cup accommodate the
      large and small canister. How well will the stove work in cool or
      cold weather. I don't anticipate temperatures below freezing anymore
      but if I should encounter any I will be interested in how the stove
      performs and how well the neoprene koozy works to keep the stove warm.

      My testing plan will include testing the LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen in
      the backyard to become comfortable with the controls and to run a few
      benchmarking tests. I will be backpacking sections of the Appalachian
      trail and Shenandoah park region which offers challenging hikes and
      many opportunities to do overnights and longer hikes. I am now a
      member of several local hiking/backpacking/kayaking meetups and there
      are always trips planned to join in on. I have at least one major
      weekend trip planned per month with day hikes scattered around. I
      also go on kayaking overnight trips that require the use of
      backpacking equipment. As I am currently taking over as head
      organizer, I am planning many trips out this year to drum up support.
      I also plan on running moon hikes and will be able to use the stove to
      make hot chocolate for people who are interested. In April and May, I
      have 2 three day trips and two day trips tentatively planned for
      Virginia, and South Carolina.

      I welcome the opportunity to test the LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen. I am
      also applying for the Primus EtaExpress. I have a slight preference
      towards the Primus stove.

      Previous Reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dark11lazarus

      Currently Testing: