LTR - OR Exped Synmat 7 - AB

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
      LTR - OR Exped Synmat 7 - AB

      Here ya go!
      Have fun
      HTML can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/yrospm

      AB

      _____
      Visit Corridor9
      http://www.corridor9.net
      ____________________________

      Long Term Report: March 31, 2008
      Field Locations:
      During the Long Term Test phase I was able to use this air mattress a total
      of 3 additional times. All three nights were in the Land Between the Lakes
      Recreational area. The land is fairly flat with an elevation average for
      this area around 400 ft (122 m) above sea level. The temperatures this time
      were a bit colder than before. The high for this trip was roughly 56 F (13
      C) but the cold for the last night reached down to 21 F (-6 C). Luckily
      there was no precipitation during this trip either.
      Performance:
      Since no one wanted to join me on my Mammoth Cave trip, I decided that a
      nice walk along the North-South trail in LBL would do me good. For 3 nights,
      I was able to walk at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery along the lake.
      I decided not to take the hammock this trip and stay in shelters instead due
      to the cold temperatures and blowing wind that was forecast. Once again, the
      shelters had rock floors, and were nothing more than half culverts covering
      the rocks, but at least it was smooth and flat, and offered a good deal of
      protection from the wind.

      When packing, I decided again to leave the stuffsack at the house. While it
      is nice to have while car camping or something, the fact of the matter is
      it's simply too bulky and not an effective containment system for the Synmat
      7. I chose the Velcro strap again to more effectively compress the air
      mattress. I also decided to leave the repair kit at home this time and
      figured if I did develop a leak, I could easily cut my trip short and head
      home if need be. Throughout the entire testing period I have tightly rolled
      the Synmat 7 trying to get it down to as little a package as possible. In
      the beginning I was worried that this might cause a problem with the down
      shifting, but I have yet to experience this issue.

      Setup is still as easy as can be. I have found that if I let the mattress
      sit with the valves open right after I unroll it there doesn't seem to be as
      much back pressure when I am inflating it. I usually leave it sitting with
      the valves open for 5-10 minutes and this usually does the trick. In
      addition to the field testing I thought I had better try this mattress out
      with a standard sleeping bag at least once since I was primarily using my
      Big Agnes with the integrated air mattress pocket. I got out my 38 F
      Montbell and laid it on the mattress while I took a bit of a nap one day
      near the house. I found that I didn't slide off the mattress near as much as
      I thought I would. I also didn't slide around on the tent floor that much
      either. Keep in mind that my nap was only 2-3 hours, and thus not an entire
      night of testing, but I feel confident that I will be able to stay
      relatively stable on this mattress in the future.

      In the end, I have found that the Synmat 7 keeps me relatively warm down to
      roughly 15 F. I haven't been able to test it in temperatures below that so
      I'm not really sure how low the temperature can be and still have a
      comfortable sleep. In addition, I haven't really found an upper limit yet
      either. Unlike my other down insulated air mattress, sleeping on the Synmat
      7 in temperatures around 60 was not as hot as I thought it would be. I will
      definitely be using this well into the summer months.

      In all, I am very pleased with the Synmat 7. It has given me good nights of
      sleep, proven to be easily packable, and durable on the rocky ground. Having
      two valves allows for quicker deflation and an easier way to adjust the
      firmness throughout the night. There really aren't any negatives that I can
      think of as I have had wonderful nights sleep throughout the testing period.

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Outdoor Research for allowing
      me to participate in testing the Exped Synmat 7.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
        Hi Andrew, nice work. All three reviewers did a great job...and
        reading the reports has me wishing I had applied and got this one.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov"
        <rescue@...> wrote:

        > Since no one wanted to join me on my Mammoth Cave trip, I decided
        that a nice walk along the North-South trail in LBL would do me good.

        comment: some folks have standards...like not hiking with
        yanks...LOL. Actually, I wish I could have joined you. Maybe we can
        hike this summer if you can find a little time between changing baby
        diapers.

        Unlike my other down insulated air mattress, sleeping on the Synmat
        > 7 in temperatures around 60 was not as hot as I thought it would
        be.

        edit/comment: this is missleading. It reads like this mat is also a
        down mat. If you just left out "other" it would be fine. I would
        change it somehow to be more clear. you choice on how to go about it.

        That's all I see. Fix to your satisfaction and upload when you can.

        Thanks
        Coy Boy
      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
          > > Since no one wanted to join me on my Mammoth Cave trip, I decided
          > that a nice walk along the North-South trail in LBL would do me good.
          >
          > comment: some folks have standards...like not hiking with
          > yanks...LOL. Actually, I wish I could have joined you. Maybe we can
          > hike this summer if you can find a little time between changing baby
          > diapers.
          Sounds good. Probably won't get to go far from home. Maybe the wifey will
          let me go down to Savage Gulf again. :-P We'll look into something.

          > Unlike my other down insulated air mattress, sleeping on the Synmat
          > > 7 in temperatures around 60 was not as hot as I thought it would
          > be.
          >
          > edit/comment: this is missleading. It reads like this mat is also a
          > down mat. If you just left out "other" it would be fine. I would
          > change it somehow to be more clear. you choice on how to go about it.
          WOW... I can't believe I actually missed that. I had to go to the website to
          look and make sure it wasn't down. It feels so nice, I forgot it was
          synthetic! I'll change and upload.

          AB