Application to Test Primus Eta Express Stove - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Please consider my application to test the Primus Eta Express Stove.

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement was sent in early January �08.

      I am very interested in testing this stove since I have never used an integrated cooking system like this nor a fuel canister. For the past 20 years, I have primarily used a MSR Whisperlite with white gas. The light weight and small size are particularly attractive. I make my own meals for the trail by dehydrating them at home. I love to eat/cook healthy and want good food on the trail too.

      Personal biographical information
      � Nancy Griffith
      � 41
      � Female
      � 5�6� (1.7 m)
      � 132 lb (60 kg)
      bkpkrgirl@...
      � Northern CA, USA
      � Backpacking background
      o I started backpacking in my early 20�s in Pennsylvania but have done most of my backpacking in the past 12 years. The past 7 years have been in the Sierra Nevada of California. Prior to that I backpacked mostly on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia , Tennessee and North Carolina completing nearly all of the AT in those states.
      o Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from an overnighter to a week long. I typically backpack in the summer and fall. I've recently discovered the virtues of lightening the load by updating some older gear, but I'm not an ultralight backpacker. My base pack weight is 15-20 pounds (7-9 kg).
      o In addition to backpacking, I spend a lot of time outdoors doing other activities like mountain biking, snow shoeing and fishing that allow me to get out often during every season.

      Test plan or strategy: My test plan would evaluate the following:
      1) Performance
      a. Time to boil at varying elevations
      b. Stability. How stable is the entire system? It looks a bit tall.
      c. Ease of clean-up.
      d. Ease of set up
      e. Fuel usage
      f. How easily does the stove simmer? Can it hold a simmer for a long period?
      g. Does the piezoelectric ignitor work easily? Light the first try?
      h. Do the handles stay cool and are they sturdy enough?
      2) Versatility
      a. How well does the lid function as a lid and as a frying pan?
      b. Can other cookware be use with it? Or does the windscreen interfere?
      3) Durability
      a. How does the pan and lid hold its shape in a backpack/daypack?
      b. How easy is it to bend the handles?
      c. Scratch resistance of nonstick surface
      4) Volume
      a. Is a 1 liter pan and frying pan adequate for 2 people? The specifications state 1-2 people
      5) Weight/Bulk

      Field information
      I plan to primarily test in the Northern Sierra Nevada mountains of California in varying conditions. I also have a mid-April backpacking and camping trip planned to the Superstition Wilderness of Arizona. I plan to backpack/camp 1-2 trips per month during the test period.

      The terrain in the Sierras will be mountainous at elevations from 2,000 to 9,000 ft (610 to 2740 m). Temperatures should range from 40�s to 80�s F (4 to 27 C) with rainy, overcast and/or sunny conditions.

      In the desert, the terrain will be from elevations of 2,000 to 5,000 ft (610 to 1524 m). Temperatures should range from 40�s to 80�s F (4 to 27 C) with dry, sunny conditions.

      Previously written reports My reviews can be viewed at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      I am a newbie and currently have two tests in the early Field Testing stage:
      DeFeet Cloud 9 Socks
      Vargo Titanium Sierra 750
      The newbie rule does not apply to these two items.

      I have one pending application for the Kayland Convert boots.

      Thanks for your consideration.

      Nancy