EDIT: Field Report - OR Elixir Jacket - André

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      Here ya go!
      As usual:
      EDIT: Change me
      Edit: Think about changing me
      Comment: Everything else

      AB

      _____
      Visit Corridor9
      http://www.corridor9.net
      ____________________________

      EDIT: At the top of your report you need to add a date for the field report
      phase.

      > Field Experience:
      > I've been wearing this jacket dayhiking in the local hills
      > (elevation not exceeding 330 m / 1000 ft), in wind and various kinds
      > of rain, running errands around Bonn and sightseeing in Tokyo, and
      > on a spontaneous summit hike of Kumotori-san (2018 m / 6621 ft) in
      > the snow, temps down to -7 C (20 F).
      EDIT: Can you give account of how much use this jacket has seen?

      > the best for DWR treatments, but am surprised to see it fadings so
      EDIT: Please change fadings to fading.

      > I'm told the fabric laminate thereby stops allowing
      > water vapour to pass.
      EDIT: Please change vapour to vapor.
      Edit: Can you elaborate on where you got this information about the vapor
      not being able to pass.

      > This phenomenon is most apparent along the
      > zipper, where the surface of the jacket experiences friction a lot.
      Edit: Does this happen along the pit zippers as well, or just the front
      zipper?

      > I have not yet noted a similarly strong loss of its DWR coating on
      > the jacket's shoulders.
      Edit: where have you noticed the loss. Is it simply around the zipper, or
      are there other places?

      > Water Vapour Permeability:
      EDIT: Please change Vapour to Vapor

      > Yet I was never stewed in sweat, which I attribute to an excellent
      > base layer and the breathability and venting options of this jacket.
      Comment: Have you sweated in this jacket yet? Have you been able to soak the
      inside of the jacket?

      > Durability:
      > Except for the fading DWR, there have been no durability issues with
      > the jacket. It seems well made.
      Edit: You mention in another email that you've worn this 30+ times during
      this phase alone. It sounds like it's your primary jacket most of the time.
      That being said, could the storage, wear, and moisture this jacket has
      received attribute to the DWR wearing off? For example, I usually set my
      jacket on a chair when not in use. My wife hangs her purse off that chair as
      well. During a rainy day I noticed a line developing on the shoulder where
      my wife's purse consistently rubs against my jacket.

      > ... I would still have liked to have an accessible chest pocket.
      > It's only a minor gripe, though.
      EDIT: Doesn't the Napoleon pocket count as a chest pocket? If you're talking
      about another style of pocket, please explain.

      > Overall: So far, I'm very happy with the jacket. It's proven most
      > useful on my recent outing.
      Comment: Not trying to tell you how to feel about the jacket, but the
      statements about the DWR wearing off so easily and the lack of pockets that
      you mentioned numerous times; it seems as if you've got some reservations
      about the jacket. Are you sure you're "very happy"?
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
        Andrew, thanks for the edits and sorry for the repeat upload notices -
        why is it I can't spot a typo on the test upload when it's obvious
        in the site folder?

        I added a few words which hopefully explain why the pockets and DWR
        issues don't make me less than very happy about the jacket.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov"
        <rescue@...> wrote:
        <snip>
        > EDIT: Please change vapour to vapor.

        Naw, that's real English. Anytime a noun ends in "consonant-o-r",
        there's a good chance there used to be a "u" in there after the o.
        Labour
        Harbour
        Colour
        Odour
        Vapour
        Armour
        Neighbour
        etc.

        André
      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
          André,

          Trust our cousins across the ditch to take shortcuts with the spelling <g>

          Ralph

          _____

          Andrew, thanks for the edits and sorry for the repeat upload notices -
          why is it I can't spot a typo on the test upload when it's obvious
          in the site folder?

          I added a few words which hopefully explain why the pockets and DWR
          issues don't make me less than very happy about the jacket.

          --- In backpackgeartesters <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>
          @yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov"
          <snip>

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            > I added a few words which hopefully explain why the pockets and DWR
            > issues don't make me less than very happy about the jacket.

            Sounds good to me.

            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov"
            > <rescue@...> wrote:
            > <snip>
            > > EDIT: Please change vapour to vapor.
            >
            > Naw, that's real English. Anytime a noun ends in "consonant-o-r",
            > there's a good chance there used to be a "u" in there after the o.
            > Labour
            > Harbour
            > Colour
            > Odour
            > Vapour
            > Armour
            > Neighbour
            > etc.
            Yea... figured as much, and I've seen both spellings. However, as my spell
            checker wanted it one way, I figured I'd post it like that.

            AB
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
              Hi AB

              You can always install a real dictionary :)

              Andrew

              --
              Senior Edit Moderator