Application – LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen - Mark McLauchlin

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the LuxuryLite Koozy Kitchen Stove
      by LuxuryLite Gear, from here on known as the LLK. I have read Chapter 5
      of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide version 0609, and will follow all
      instructions and fulfill all requirements. As a non-US based tester I am
      also accepting the need to pay for freight.

      This will be an ideal item for me to test as I am in the process of
      investigating many different stoves for purchase to fulfill my light
      hiking requirements.

      I have also applied to test the Primus Eta Express Stove and have
      modified this report to reflect.

      One of the key technical advantages of the LLK is the combination of
      stove and koozy all in one package that can also be packed into the cup
      for storage. This is truly exciting and something I will thoroughly
      document and.

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Mark McLauchlin
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.76 m (5' 9")
      Weight: 80 kg (176 lb)
      Email: mark at swanvalleyit.com.au
      City: Perth, Western Australia

      Backpacking Background
      I have been hiking for approximately 12 months with most of my hiking
      consisting of day walks averaging 16 – 22 km (10 – 14 mi) and
      short overnight trips where possible.

      I consider myself to be a light hiker with an average pack weight of
      13 kg (29 lbs).

      My preference is for hot dinners, breakfasts of cereals with fresh
      fruit, and lunches usually of bars and sandwiches. I am starting to work
      with freezer bag type meals.

      Field Information

      I intend to test the LLK on a few planned hiking trips. The hiking trips
      will include single over night and multi day/night in the Hills area of
      Perth Western Australia and the Southern regions of the state. Average
      temperatures that can be expected this time of the year range from a
      mean maximum temperature of 25.5 C (77 F) to mean minimum temperature of
      8 C(46 F), with an average elevation of 30 Meters (115 ft), however I
      will be attempting to camp at 580 Meters (1903 ft).

      Average rainfall expected during the initial few months of testing is
      134mm or 5.28 in. (April to June).

      The first weeks of testing I plan to camp over night at some of the
      northern end campsites along the Bibbulumn track
      <http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org/> <http://tinyurl.com/3cw23v
      <http://tinyurl.com/3cw23v> >. These campsites all host a three sided
      hut, water tanks, bush style toilet and a cleared space for tents
      (although quite small).

      May this year (2008) I am planning a hike into the South Western end of
      state (Western Australia) where the temperatures change dramatically.
      Average maximum temperature of 21.0 C (70 F), and minimum temperatures
      of 11.0 C (52 F). Rainfall during this time is also expected to be
      approximately 75 mm (2.95 in). A detailed plan of this trip can be
      provided, however it is expected to consist of 5 nights, 7 days,
      covering approximately 123 km (76 mi).

      Test Plan

      The emphasis of my test plan will be on day trips and overnight hikes,
      which I actively combine into geocaching. If I am lucky to be accepted
      to test the LLK it will perhaps make the perfect companion in terms of
      size, weight, durability and functionality, all of which and more will
      be evaluated. I look forward to being able to make hot drinks and meals
      with a minimal weight stove. As above stated I also plan on some longer
      multi day hiking.

      * True weight of the LLK, as listed on the manufacturer's
      website, is 369g or 13 oz. This is a great weight when you include the
      stove and 710ml or 24 oz stainless steel cup I will accurately weight
      all components.

      Durability factor;

      * How easy does the Stainless steel cup scratch?
      * Will any of the components deteriorate over time?
      * Do the handle hinges become loose?
      * Will the igniter lose the ability to spark after a period?
      * Do any of the components, i.e., koozy and main body distort over
      time with the application of hot liquids and foods?

      * Is the volume of the pot (710ml or 24 oz) enough to re-hydrate my
      meals in one boil?
      * I will also accurately measure and record the volume of the pot.

      * Are you able to get all the pieces `nest' together or is it
      like a Japanese origami exercise?
      * Is it nice and easy to clean or will it stain?
      * Is the efficiency of the boil (2 minutes) really good, I will test
      this by measuring temperatures over time and create a graph to represent
      this under `normal' atmospheric conditions (ref to temperature
      ranges listed in my Field Information section. I will compare to the 2
      min boiling time the manufacture lists.
      * Does the koozy provide insulation enough to assist with keeping the
      food warm, helping to burn when cold and also prevent your hands from

      * How stable it the LLK going to be both on the ground or table, am I
      going to be comfortable that it will not topple over?

      Previously Written Reports
      Owner Reviews:

      Columbia Trail Meister Hiking Shoes <http://tinyurl.com/2y3ha2
      <http://tinyurl.com/2y3ha2> > –
      October 15th 2007

      Marine Blue Sunscreen with Insect Repellent <http://tinyurl.com/2ghah5
      <http://tinyurl.com/2ghah5> >
      – November 11th 2007

      My reports and reviews can be found at;

      I am currently waiting on the arrival of DeFeet Cloud 9 Socks (5 weeks)
      and the Flej Solo (4 weeks) as my first reviews.

      Thank you for your consideration Kenny B,

      Mark McLauchlin