IR- DeFeet Un-D-Shurt- askLarry (POST)

  • larry
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
      ...and here is my IR for the DeFeet Un-D-Shurt.

      The text is below, and the html can be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/32xozo

      Thanks!

      -larry

      DeFeet Un-D-Shurt Short
      TEST SERIES BY LARRY KIRSCHNER

      INITIAL REPORT - March 3, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Larry Kirschner
      EMAIL: asklarry98@...
      AGE: 43
      LOCATION: Columbus, OH
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that
      my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I
      typically do 8-10 weekend hikes per year, and have spent time over
      the past 2 years backpacking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimarron,
      New Mexico and canoeing the Atikaki wilderness in Manitoba. I like to
      travel "in comfort", so I used to pack heavier than needed, but now
      I'd say I'm down to medium weight. With all of my investment into
      these ventures, I expect my wife and I will continue to trek long
      after the kids are gone…

      ----------

      INITIAL REPORT
      March 3, 2008

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: DeFeet
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: www.defeet.com
      MSRP: USD $30.00
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 4.1 oz (116 g) (XL size)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The DeFeet Un-D-Shurt (which I will refer to as the "Shurt", or the
      shirt) arrived packed in a ziplock type plastic bag, with a
      information insert describing it. The shirt is made of Microsupreme
      Acrylic fiber, which is apparently a composite fabric consisting of
      64% polyester, 19% Hydrofil nylon, and 17% Spandex. The shirts come
      in three styles: a tank top, a short-sleeved shirt, and a long-
      sleeved shirt, and this test is concerned with the short-sleeved
      variety.

      The idea behind the Un-D-System, of which the Un-D-Shurt is one
      component, is to provide a thin baselayer for athletic activities,
      including hiking, biking, etc. The pieces are very thin and are
      designed to be form-fitting, so that they can be layered underneath
      other garments, or multiple Shurts can be layered on themselves for
      extra warmth. The shirts have wicking ability, as would be expected
      for a modern-day baselayer.

      On first examination, the shirt has a fine-woven waffle knit texture,
      which is smooth to the touch. There is a tag at the back of the neck
      which is flush with the fabric, and the DeFeet logo is present on the
      front of the chest. Both the neck and the sleeves have a reinforced
      border, whereas there bottom of the shirt is unfinished. There is a
      tag with washing instructions (machine wash cold, tumble dry low) at
      the inside of the left lower seam. This is a good benchmark to
      demonstrate the thinness of the shirt, as the tag is easily seen
      through the shirt.

      EXPECTATIONS AND CONCERNS FOR THE GEAR

      At this point, I think the shirt is actually nicer than I expected.
      It is quite comfortable (see below) and the spandex gives it a fitted
      feel. My only concern for the Shurt is the fact that it only comes in
      white. I wonder what this will look like after a few days on the
      trail?

      TRYING IT OUT

      I have not worn the Shurt on the trail yet, but I have worn it around
      town as a quick way to try it out. First of all, the shirt is very
      soft to wear, and is quite comfortable. It is also very thin, and I
      had no problems wearing it under another T-shirt. I wore it on a
      short walk (0.6 mi/1 km each way) around town on a day when the
      temperature outside was about 35 F(2 C). I did feel that the Shurt
      kept me warm, despite the fact that I was only wearing another T-
      shirt and a sweatshirt on top of it. I also noted that when I was
      inside, I did not feel it necessary to take off any layers, as the
      Shurt breathes very well.

      TEST PLAN

      For the Field test, I will be wearing my Un-D-Shurt during all of my
      hikes, as it should be a comfortable pieces for both cold weather and
      warm weather hiking. I will also wear it as a baselayer for other
      endeavors, including biking and running, and other outdoor activites.
      I want to see how the shirt looks after a few days outside, and if it
      can be restored to its current whiteness by simple washing. I also
      want to see if it will stretch out any to fit my body shape, or if it
      will retain its snug (but comfortable) feel over the course of the
      test

      This concludes my Initial Report on the DeFeet Un-D-Shurt. Please
      check back in 2 months for my Field Report on this item.

      Back to the Top

      ----------
      Thanks to DeFeet for providing the Un-D-Shurt for testing, and to
      BackpackGearTest.org for selecting me to participate in this test.

      -larry kirschner
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2008
        > EDIT: IR- DeFeet Un-D-Shurt- askLarry

        Hi Larry, below please find your edit for the Un-D-Shurt IR. As
        usual, I've marked as "EDIT"s things that require changing due to
        typo, grammar or house rules (projection or metric issues, etc.),
        as "Edits" things that I flag for your attention to consider changing
        though it remains your call to make, and my comments as,
        well, "Comment"s.

        André
        UnDshurt MonEtoare

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "larry" <asklarry98@...>
        wrote:
        <snip>
        > TESTER INFORMATION
        >
        > NAME: Larry Kirschner
        > EMAIL: asklarry98@...
        > AGE: 43
        > LOCATION: Columbus, OH
        <snip>

        EDIT: Please spell out "Ohio"
        Comment: Yes, I assume this is the first time it's flagged and it
        mostly doesn't occur to Americans, but it was decided some time in
        the past to help stupid foreigners like myself who may not be
        familiar with the standard abbreviations for the individual states.

        <snip>
        > The DeFeet Un-D-Shurt (which I will refer to as the "Shurt", or the
        > shirt) arrived packed in a ziplock type plastic bag, with a
        > information insert describing it.

        EDIT: with *an* information insert...

        <snip>
        > > Both the neck and the sleeves have a reinforced
        > border, whereas there bottom of the shirt

        EDIT: ... whereas *the* bottom of ...

        <snip>
        > TEST PLAN
        >
        > For the Field test, I will be wearing my Un-D-Shurt during all of
        my
        > hikes, as it should be a comfortable pieces

        EDIT: "piece" (sans "s")

        -------

        That's it. Please take care of the above and then upload to the
        appropriate folder: http://tinyurl.com/2y77d9
        Please also delete the test folder version once you're done.

        Nice pics. Well done.

        Regards,

        André
        UnDshurt MonEtoare