IR Warmfront :RE-POST: DOUG MCCOY

  • dmccoy805
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 10:23 PM
      My Humblest apologies every one. There has been a serious lack of
      understandign on my part in regaurds to the warmfront. Here (I hope)
      is the IR with HTML and ready for edit. I promise I will saty on top
      of this from here on out. It proved itself worthy this weekend on my
      oop. Butyouall will have to wait for the FR on that one. Again sorry
      for such the delay, and miscomunications of it all.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Warmfront%20%
      20Doug%20McCoy/

      WARMFRONT
      TEST SERIES BY DOUGLAS MCCOY
      IR
      February 11, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Douglas McCoy
      EMAIL: dmccoy805@...
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Spokane, Washington (State) U.S.A.
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I've always been intrigued by the outdoors, and as a kid I sometimes
      stayed on a farm or did some camping, but never really had the
      opportunity to fully enjoy the outdoors until about 7 years ago. I
      really got serious about backpacking 4 years ago, and it is now more
      of a lifestyle than an activity. Most of my backpacking is solo and
      often off trail "via throw a dart on a topo" and plot a route. In
      accordance with this, I've transitioned from "heavy" to "ultralight",
      and constantly seek ways to lighten my load and share my ever growing
      knowledge with others.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Warmfront™
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      "http://www.thewarmfront.com/home.html" LINK TEXT
      = "www.thewarmfront.com">>
      MSRP: US $ 24.99 U.S.
      Listed Weight: NA
      Measured Weight: 2.4 oz (68 g)
      Other details: Taken from the Warmfront website: The Warmfront™ is
      made in the USA from the best technical Malden Mills fleece that
      blocks the wind, yet breathes and transfers perspiration from your
      body so you don't get cold and wet from sweat.
      Road. Mountain. Commuter. CX. Ski. Board. XC. Moto

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Shown on
      the outside of my jersey">>

      The Warmfront™ is a rectangular piece of wind resistant fleece with
      a stretchy neck strap that is secured around my neck. It is designed
      to be worn against my chest beneath my hiking apparel or cycling
      jersey to provide and added layer of frontal warmth and protection
      from wind and slight rain. The main body of the Warmfront™ is
      approximately 14 inches (36 cm) wide and 20 inches (51 cm) tall. The
      neck strap measures about 16.5 inches (42 cm) long by 2 inches (5 cm)
      wide and is stretchier in comparison to the Warmfront™ itself. It has
      a simple hook and loop fastener that extends about 2 inches (5 cm)
      which makes the neck piece about 18 inches (46 cm) in total length.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      My initial impressions with the Warmfront™ is hopeful. I have not yet
      had the oportunity to test is as of yet because we have been
      recieving a rash of snow storms that has left up to 2 ft (61cm) in my
      front yard at an elevation of 2000 ft (610 m). So because of the
      current road conditions it has prevented me from even being able to
      get to a local park or one of my favorite hiking areas to test it
      out. As soon as the weather "clears" I will be able to get out and
      some testing with it, and taking it along on my early spring
      backpacking trips. I will be also using the Warmfront™in my regular
      riding routine that I do, but the focus of my testing will be done in
      regaurds to backpacking since that is whom and what I am tetsing it
      for.
      I must admit the the Warmfront™ looks like a fleece bib. But as far
      as functionality I can only speculate that it will perform up to the
      task it is given, which is to protect me against the wind and
      elements. It has a nice soft comfy fleece feel against my skin, neck
      strap does not chock me in any way, but I only have a 15in (38 cm)
      neck so there is no worries there.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Shown
      inside of jesrey">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Jersey
      fully zipped, note neck strap position">>

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Instructions:
      There were non provided. But the product is straight forward and easy
      to figure out on how to put it on. There is a tag attached to the
      lower part of the body that gives washing instructions: "Machine Wash
      Warm" "Do Not Bleach" "Tumble Dry Low".

      TRYING IT OUT

      I put the Warmfront™on just for initial testing purposes and photo
      shoot. I did it with my cycling gear on because I figure if it is
      going to fit under my cycling gear then it will fit under my loose
      fitting hiking shirts. I like the way it feels against my skin and
      has a secure fit around my neck. I was able to tuck it under my
      jersey and smooth it out well enough to not agitate me with clumps
      under my jersey. It did kind of give me a "poofy" look but that is
      expected when wearing a base layer of clothing over an already snug
      fitting long sleeve riding jersey. I had free range of motion when
      swinging back and forth and it did not "ride up" my torso enough to
      bother me.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      My main testing strategy will be on my early spring backpacking trips
      where the temps ranges will be from 20 to 50 f ( -6to 10 c) I may
      include it in a few snow board trips as well. The elevations will be
      from 1500 ft to 4500ft ( 457 to 1372 m) which keeps me below and at
      snow melt levels for the months of February through April which is
      when the field report is due. I also will be testing it on my day
      hikes around town and in the vicinity of where I live. The temp
      ranges will be the same as stated above.
      Some items I am going to look for in testing the Warmfront™ are:
      Does it breathe as stated?
      Will it keep me warm in adverse weather conditions or on a long
      descent after heavy sweating?
      Will it block the wind?
      How easy is it to take on and off while still being under clothing?
      Will it stay in place or does it bunch up while hiking?
      How versatile is it?
      Will there be any piling?
      Is the snap and hook closure going to stay in place after along
      period of use?
      Will the surged edges remain en-tac or will they begin to unravel?

      SUMMARY

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately
      2 months for my Field Report to see how the Warmfront™ has been
      performing in the early spring season. I would also like to thank
      BackpackGearTest and Warmfront for letting me test this gear item.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.