LTR - Streamlight Enduro - Sheila Morrissey

  • S
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hi Jason,

      Below is the text and link for my Streamlight Enduro LTR. The Stylus Pro is coming next.
      Thanks for your edits!

      Sheila

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-
      %20Streamlight%20Enduro%20-%20Sheila%20Morrissey/

      http://tinyurl.com/2pv6nk

      Long-Term Report: February 5, 2008
      CONDITIONS
      I used the Enduro headlamp on a two-day backpacking trip in Los Padres National Forest.
      I camped at an elevation of about 4,500 ft (1,370 m) and the nighttime temperature was
      around 35 F (2 C). There was no precipitation.

      I also used it on a second two-day trip in the Los Padres National Forest. I camped at an
      elevation of about 2,000 ft (600 m) and the nighttime temperature was about 40 F (4 C).
      There was light rain.

      In addition, I brought the Enduro headlamp along for creek sampling during storms. The
      temperature was around 45 F (7 C) during two evenings of work and about 35 F (2 C)
      during one early morning's work. The elevation was near 100 ft (30 m).

      TEST RESULTS
      Performance
      I finally found the perfect use for this light: playing Scrabble by the campfire. Otherwise, I
      wasn't thrilled with this light and would would rate its performance as just okay. Certainly
      having any sort of light is helpful in the dark, but this headlamp isn't particularly bright
      and the beam only reaches about 10 ft (3 m). Because of this short range, I'm only likely to
      want to continue using this headlamp for cooking, reading or playing games. I'm not
      certain that it would be worth it for me to carry this headlamp on my future backpacking
      trips when I'll probably also want to take another brighter light. The light that I would
      prefer to carry is actually a penlight by the same company.

      Comfort
      I still think this is a very comfortable headlamp. The light and battery casing don't feel
      heavy on my forehead. I can also easily adjust the angle of the light, which securely clicks
      into place when I adjust it. The straps are easily shorted and lengthened, with a huge range
      in lengths. The straps are thick, so the elastic feels secure, but not uncomfortably tight.

      Ease of Use
      I find that headlamps in general are convenient because they don't require that I hold onto
      the light. I can also easily strap a headlamp to my backpack by stringing a backpack strap
      through the headlamp strap.

      Putting batteries in this light (the one time that I put batteries in it) was easy enough and
      seemed rather intuitive to me. Turning the light on and switching between low and high
      modes is done easily with a push of the button.

      What I found inconvenient was was the way that the light turns on, switches between
      modes and turns off. I would much prefer separate buttons or a sliding switch for the high
      and low modes. I didn't like having to scroll through the low mode to get to the high
      mode, or to move through the high mode in order to turn the light off. This was the same
      annoyance I dealt with during the field-testing stage.

      Waterproofness
      Yep, seems it pretty waterproof! I used it during storms both while backpacking and
      working and it doesn't look like any water got inside the light and battery casing. This is a
      great feature of the headlamp because it was great not to have to worry about whether the
      light would still work when I was out in the rain.

      Durability
      The brightness of the light hasn't seem to diminish since I first put in the batteries. I've
      now probably had the light on for a total of about eight hours, most often in the high
      mode. The light itself and the straps are still in great shape.

      REMARKS
      This concludes my Test Series. Thank you to Streamlight and BackpackGearTest.org for
      providing me with the opportunity to test the Enduro headlamp.