APPLICATION: Patagonia Micro Puff Vest - Jamie DeBenedetto

  • Jamie D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
      I thought a micro puff is what happend when babies with powdered
      bottoms toot??? Hardy Har Har!!

      Please consider my application to test the Patagonia Micro Puff
      Vest. I have read the test requirements stated in the BGT Tester
      Bylaws as of Jan. 2008 and I promise to comply with them to the best
      of my abilities. My Tester Agreement is on file and I am not a new

      If selected I'm pretty sure I will need a size Large. My first
      color choice would be the Daffodill.

      Reviewer's Information

      Jamie J. DeBenedetto
      Female, 35 years old
      Height: 5'11" (180 cm)
      Weight: 160 lb (73 kg)
      Email: jdeben@...
      Personal Website: www.mydog8az.com
      Location: Phoenix, Arizona - The Grand Canyon State
      Date: Feb. 4th, 2008

      I began backpacking twenty years ago after a childhood packed with
      camping, day hiking, fishing, and rafting. At present I hike in some
      capacity about ten times a month, usually in Arizona with either the
      Canine Hiking Club or with my family. I prefer to sleep in a hammock
      and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that will enhance my
      comfort level for minimal weight. My total backpacking weight year
      round is rarely above 25 lbs (11 kg) for outings of two to three
      Test Area Information and Upcoming Trips

      All testing will be conducted in Arizona. Winter and spring are
      busy hiking seasons here in the Desert Southwest and I have several
      trips planned leading up to summer. I have had to cut down on the
      monthly overnight outings I was doing due to an ongoing family
      member's health issue. Lately I have been getting in one overnight
      trip (backpacking or car camping) about every other month or two in
      addition to long and short day hikes eight to ten times a month. I
      work as a hike leader for a local Parks and Rec Dept. so I at least
      get in two longer day hikes each month with them. I feel even with
      this change I can still give quality reviews depending on the type
      of gear. I have been selective with regard to what I apply for and
      I believe the Micro Puff Vest is within my testing abilities.
      Here's where and how I plan to test it.

      February thru April – I would be using the vest on the early morning
      and evening hikes I generally take two to three times a week. All
      are either in or on the outskirts of Phoenix, which is at an
      elevation below 2,200 ft (670 m). With the onset of winter I expect
      temps between 35 F (1.5) and 60 F (15.5 C) for all these treks.

      February thru June – I have six day hikes, two overnight backpacking
      treks and one three day car camping trip planned for these months in
      various locations around AZ. Lowest elevation is 1,600 ft (500 m)
      and the highest will be 7,500 ft (2,300 m). I expect temperatures
      to range between 40 F (4 C) and 75 F (24 C).
      The Micro Puff Vest would be used during the colder months of this
      test period to augment the Red Ledge Exile Shoftshell I am currently
      testing or as a stand alone piece depending on the temps. In May
      and June I have a day hike and an overnight backpacking trip planned
      for higher elevations where I'm assuming a light insulation layer
      will still be needed. I would use the Micro Puff in this role. I
      would also like to use it as a pillow while backpacking.

      Why I'm Applying

      The Micro Puff looks pretty sharp on the Patagonia website and a
      vest is definitely a doable piece of outerwear well into the early
      summer months around here. The website description, "Lightweight,
      windproof, compressible and earth-conscious core warmth" also caught
      my eye. That's just about everything I look for in a garment, wow!!
      How could I pass this test opportunity up? Finally, I'm down to
      only two tests and both are in the LTR phase so I thought I better
      start jumping in on stuff now.

      Proposed Test Plan

      If chosen for this test I will be evaluating the following aspects:

      *All manufacture claims -

      *Fit & Function –
      I don't always have good luck with the fit of women's garments
      because I am tall but with a vest, sleeve length shouldn't be a
      factor, right? Well I will still be reporting on how accurate their
      sizing chart was, how well the garment moves with me and how it
      works with my body types. On the function front I will evaluation
      the claims that it is lightweight, windproof, water-resistant, warm
      when wet, and compressible.

      *Extra Features –
      Like the chinflap, non-snag windflap, pockets, zippers, stuff sack
      option, etc.. There are too many bells and whistles but I will keep
      track of how they all perform and hold up to use.

      *Care and Cleaning –
      Didn't see much on the website about this but I will follow the
      directions to the best of my ability and report on how well the
      inner and outer material hold up.

      *Durability –
      I do not plan to subject this garment to any situations beyond what
      I would consider normal backcountry use but I will be watching
      closely for wear and tear and report on any issues should they
      arise. I will also report on how well or poorly the insulation stays
      put. The manufacturer claims it "won't drift or quilt". Let's find

      Other apps I have pending:

      Current Tests

      Blue Dessert SmarTube – LTR phase
      Red Ledge Exile Softshell – LTR phase

      Previously written reports:

      Direct link to all reports -

      Other BGT Contributions

      I am currently monitoring the Golite Adrenaline 20 Sleeping Bagþ test
      and I am the Edit Admin. Manager for the Owner Review Queue.

      Thank you for your time and for considering my application.
      Jamie J. DeBenedetto