APPLICATION TO TEST: Patagonia Micro Puff Vest - Erich Roetz

  • eroetz93
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2008
      APPLICATION TO TEST the Patagonia Micro Puff Vest

      Erich Roetz

      Date: 2/2/08

      Please accept my application to test the Patagonia Micro Puff Vest.
      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5 and will
      comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed
      tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the
      minimum expected use requirements and plan to use the vest more
      than the required amount of time.

      NAME: Erich Roetz
      EMAIL: gerbil93 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking when I was Boy Scout
      over 27 years ago. I do mostly medium weight backpacking but I am
      doing more lightweight backpacking now that my son is a Scout. We
      camp one weekend a month all year round in temperatures from very hot
      (Virginia summers of 100F/38C) to very cold (Pennsylvania winters -
      below freezing) from sea level to about 2000 ft (610 meters)
      elevations.

      Field Information

      If I am chosen to test the Patagonia Micro Puff Vest (further know
      as the vest), I will test it in four separate locations on five
      different trips: Virginia Beach, Virginia; Surry, Virginia; Valley
      Forge, Pennsylvania; Crabtree Falls, Virginia. I should encounter
      some snow and wet weather in the Piedmont area of Virginia and also
      wet, cold weather in Valley Forge. On each trip, I will be out for
      two to three nights with the exception of a 4 day hike over Spring
      Break. The trips weekend trips will increase from 4 mi (6.4 km) to 10
      mi (16.1 km) while the Spring Break trip will be about 3 mi (4.8 km)
      per day.

      The average temperatures for the locations are:
      Virginia Beach, VA 54F to 36F (12C to 2C)
      Surry, VA 50F to 30F (10C to -1C)
      Valley Forge, PA 48F to 20F ( 9C to -7C)
      Crabtree Falls, VA 51F to 27F (12C to -2C)

      Testing Strategy:

      Comfort: How comfortable is the vest? How does it feel? How does
      the douple-ripstip polyester shell (treated with DelugeĀ® DWR) feel?
      Does the vest chafe my armpits? Will it feel differently when I'm
      sweating or when the vest is wet? Will the zipper chafe my neck?
      Does the chinflap work? How well does the vest hold up against the
      wind?

      Fit: How does the vest fit over layers? Does it feel comfortable
      when I'm wearing my backpack? Does it bunch up? Is the neck too
      tight or too loose when zipped up? Is a Patagonia "medium" the same
      as other mediums? Will the fit change after a couple of washings?

      Warmth: Does the vest keep me warm? Does the recycled insulation
      material keep me warm? How about when it's wet? How quickly does it
      dry? Are the handwarmer pockets placed for comfortable access for my
      hands (not too high or low)? Will they keep them warm? What type of
      material lines the pockets? Does it warm up quickly?

      Durability: How does the polyester shell hold up after multiple
      outings? Does it get any pulls? How well does it stand up to
      multiple washings? Will the color hold? Does it still feel as soft
      as new? How quickly does it dry after a washing? Does the zipper
      stick? What about after time?

      Appearance: How does it look? Will I look like a pineapple in it?
      Will I look as cool as I will feel? How well does the vest stuff
      into the interior pocket? Does the carabineer rub when I wear the
      vest? Is it useful to stuff it? Can I use the carabineer clip be
      used to carry anything inside the vest? Are the interior pockets
      useful?

      Size preference is Medium.

      Color Preference is Heritage Blue or Black.

      Owner reviews can be found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/gerbil93

      Current Test Series:
      Peak Camp `n Trail, FR due in March (the IR can be found here
      http://tinyurl.com/yvqxg9)
      Kombi Latitude Gloves, FR due in March (the IR can be found here
      http://tinyurl.com/2f9wru)

      Other Pending Applications:
      Vargo Titanium Ti-Lite Sierra Cup
      DeFeet Un-D-Shurt
      Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy Sack

      I would like to thank you and Big Agnes for your consideration,
      Erich Roetz