Application to test- DEFEET UNDSHIRT- Will Rice

  • dalenmoney
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      currently at work...will upload second approved OR as soon as I get
      home...in the mean time wanted to get this in before it closed.

      Please accept my application for the privilege of testing the DEFEET
      UNSHIRT. I, Will Rice have read and agree to comply with the report
      requirements stated in chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Bylaws v.
      0609.

      Bio

      NAME: William Rice
      EMAIL: tdnarrator@...
      AGE: 26
      LOCATION: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I began backpacking at the age of 13 when I first went to summer
      camp (1993). In 1999, I started working with a college tripping
      organization in outdoor trip logistics (in gear preparation), and
      then as a leader. My most frequented hiking locations are in the
      Carolina Appalachians and the Smoky Mountains during the cold early
      spring and the summer. I stopped being a trip leader in 2004, and
      now I average about 4 backpacking trips and 4 day hikes per year. I
      carry between 25 and 35 lbs (11.3-15.8 kg) on multi-day trips.

      Field Info:
      I intend to test this gear in Atlanta, North Georgia, North
      Carolina, and West Virginia. It will be tested all at elevations
      below 6600 ft, on flat and calm terrain in Atlanta, but otherwise in
      the Appalachian foothills and mountains. Since it is winter in the
      southeast, I expect that temperatures will range from freezing to
      about 70 degrees. In West VA, I intend to use it while
      snowboarding, so temperatures will be freezing and lower with wind
      chill. There will be sun and rain during testing, but likely not
      snowfall.

      I am an extremely active guy that likes to train, in preparation for
      being active. I run 2-3 times a week (2-3 miles at a time) in all
      weather, walk wherever I can, mountain bike, climb, and do whatever
      outdoor activities that present themselves as an option. I am a bit
      of a gear nut, preferring my accessories to perform multiple roles
      in addition to what they advertise. Being not very big in stature,
      I also prefer lightweight gear that won't bog me down should I
      decide to do some rock hopping or take urban shortcuts.

      I plan to test this gear as a base layer while running during the
      week, especially on a rainy day. I also plan to test while doing
      some day hikes, probably at Stone Mountain, GA. Lastly, it will go
      snowboarding with me in WVA. Other possible test usages are:
      bouldering with me in Charlotte, NC and some more light hiking and
      climbing in western and central NC.

      Test Questions:
      Is it comfortable? Does it fit well and stay in place during lots
      of motion? Does it restrict motion?
      Does it keep me dryer when I am sweating?
      Does it keep me warmer when its cold?
      Does it chafe?
      How durable is it when used more than once a week?
      Does it stain, or come clean when you wash it?

      I have finished two owner reviews that can be viewed here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/DalenAT08