Re: EDIT: IR - Brunton Vapor Stove Kevin H

  • kholling55
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      Sheila,

      I know that you said that it wasn't necessary to do a rewrite, I
      thought because of some of the responses that I read that I would do
      it any way. I don't know how much more I can change it. I left the
      conclusion in "The Field Report will be amended to this report in
      approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
      back then for further information. " because that is what I read on
      BGT to have in the reports. Of course I can change it if you like. I
      also left my email the same, because I have never had aproblem and I
      thought that we were suppose to have a clickable address. I am
      submitting it again for edit.

      Sorry for the problems.Cheers,

      Kevin

      The html is here

      http://tinyurl.com/2vot7e

      The rest is here:

      Initial Report (January 31, 2008)

      Tester Information:
      Name: Kevin Hollingsworth
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 1" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
      Email address: kholling55@...
      City, State, Country: Williamsburg, Virginia. USA

      I started backpacking and camping when I was in the Scouts. I spent
      20 years in the military, which curtailed my personal outdoors
      adventures. While day-hiking, I normally carry a light load, a waist
      pack with mostly food and water and a few other things. On three to
      four day trips, I will carry a pack weighing about 45 to 50 lb (21 to
      23 kg). I prefer to hike in the mountains. I have been hiking in
      Colorado (USA), Korea, Egypt, and most recently the eastern part of
      the United States.

      Initial Report - January 31, 2008

      Product Information & Specifications:
      Manufacturer: Brunton
      Year of Manufacture: 2007

      Listed Specifications:

      Weight: 16.0 oz (454 g)
      Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.2 x 2.3 in (10.4 x 13.2 x 5.8 cm)
      (folded)
      Approximate heat energy rating: 10,000 BTU (10, 551 kJ)
      (Liquid fuel) - 12,000 BTU (12,660 kJ)(Butane)
      Fuel: butane, white gas, kerosene, diesel #1, auto fuel, and jet
      fuel
      Burn time: Up to 2.5 hours-high output
      Boil time (2.1 pt (1 L) of water): 3.5 minutes
      MSRP: $180.00 USD

      Measured Specifications:

      Weight (stove): 13.25 oz (375.58 g)
      Weight ( stove, bottle and pump): 20.45 oz (579.69 g)
      Weight (stove, bottle, pump and accessories): 25.15 oz (713.05 g)
      Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.5 x 2.5 in (10.4 x 14.0 x 6.4 cm)
      (folded)
      Warranty: Limited Lifetime: Brunton warrants this product to be
      free of defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the
      original owner, and is nontransferable. This warranty does not cover
      damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, or tampering.

      Product Description:

      The Brunton Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition Stove is a multi-fuel stove
      that uses a single jet for all liquid fuels and butane. The stove is
      constructed of aluminum, stainless steel and brass. It has precision
      simmering control and a quick-priming burner. The fuel bottle uses a
      self-purging Flip-stop pump for ease of use. The Flip-stop pump is
      designed to prevent fuel spillage and release air pressure from the
      fuel bottle prior to disconnecting from the stove.

      The stove came with the stove assembly, an empty liquid fuel bottle,
      a plastic pump, a folded aluminum windscreen, a servicing kit, a
      stuff sack, and two sets of instructions. The instructions are
      written in English and Japanese, and contain safety warnings, fuel
      types, operating instructions, cleaning instructions, and a parts
      list.

      The servicing kit consists of a jet cleaning needle, spare O-rings
      and a maintenance tool. This is all packed in a small plastic zip
      lock bag.

      The stove has of a large, orange aluminum burner cup, with the
      letter "G" and "L" engraved in it. A brass inner burner cup with the
      screw-in jet is located on the inside of the large outer cup. Sitting
      on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. This is kept
      in place by a wire keeper that is connected to one of angled steel
      leg/pot supports. These legs/supports are attached to the burner cap
      by a screw and can be rotated from the storage position out to makes
      the base for the stove. Each of the supports is the name "Brunton"
      and a few oblongs cut into them. On the top of the supports there is
      a saw-tooth pattern cut into the metal.

      A control valve with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom
      of the inner burner and extending past the supports. Coming from the
      side of the control valve is the braided steel fuel hose that is used
      to connect the fuel source to the stove.

      The fuel bottle is made from aluminum and has a black plastic screw-
      in plug. The pump is made from orange plastic and fits into the
      bottle for use with liquid fuels. The pump has the words "ON"
      and "OFF" on opposite sides of the pump. It also has two plastic
      tubes extending out of the pump. There is an adjustment valve where
      the feed line connects to the pump.

      The stuff sack is constructed of black nylon-like material. On the
      inside of the sack there is a zippered compartment that the service
      kit fits into. The stuff sack is large enough so that all the
      components that are included. The sack is closed by a cord with a
      plastic tensioner.

      To use the stove with gas/butane type fuel, it is turn the control
      valve on at the stove slightly, releasing some gas and then light the
      gas with a match or lighter. To turn the stove off, just close the
      control valve.

      To use the stove with liquid type fuel the startup procedure is a
      little different. The stove needs to be preheated or primed. To prime
      the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
      for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
      fuel bottle. Next turn the control valve allowing fuel into the
      burner jet and priming wick. Turn of the valve, light the wick, and
      once the flame has become small, turn the valve slowly on, until
      there is a controlled, blue flame. . A high, surging and yellowish
      flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the
      bottle. To turn off the stove, all that needs to be done is to rotate
      the fuel bottle and pump until off is seem on the pump. This allows
      for extra fuel to be burnt, and depressurization of the fuel bottle.
      Also, the escaping air pressure that is released through the burner
      jet will help to clean the jet.

      Care and Cleaning:
      To clean the stove, the flame spreader needs to be removed. Then
      using the included cleaning needle any debris or waste material is
      cleaned from the jet hole. If stove output is still poor, it may be
      necessary to remove the burner plate, unscrew the jet using the
      provided Multi-tool, and then carefully prick the jet orifice to
      remove any obstructing debris.

      Brunton also recommends to making it a habit of cleaning the burner
      jet prior to setting it up, and packing out.

      Initial Impressions:

      My initial impression of the stove was that it was a quality product.
      The stove seems durable and very well made. Being used to using
      primarily gas type stoves, I had a concern with the procedure on
      lighting the stove when using liquid type fuel. But after reading the
      instructions a few times, I figured it can't be that difficult. I
      hopefully will be able to master it after a few tries. Beside the
      quality of workmanship, what impressed me was the stove's ability to
      use such a wide variety of fuel, without changing any jets.

      Conclusions:

      Upon my initial assessment, I like the Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition
      Stove and Brunton's quality of workmanship.

      I would like to thank both BackpackGearTest and Brunton for the
      opportunity to test the Vapor stove. This concludes my Initial
      Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kevin,
      >
      > No need for that! If you find anywhere in the report where you need
      quotes, then add
      > them in. Otherwise, the report will be fine with the edits.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Sheila

    • S
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hi Kevin,

        Alrighty, I suppose it's good to start fresh anyway.
        As usual, EDITs, Edits and Comments are below.

        Sheila

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "kholling55" <kholling55@...> wrote:

        > Fuel: butane, white gas, kerosene, diesel #1, auto fuel, and jet

        Edit: It looks like there's an extra space before "jet"

        > The stove has of a large, orange aluminum burner cup, with the
        > letter "G" and "L" engraved in it. A brass inner burner cup with the
        > screw-in jet is located on the inside of the large outer cup. Sitting
        > on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. This is kept
        > in place by a wire keeper that is connected to one of angled steel
        > leg/pot supports.

        EDIT: legs

        > Each of the supports is the name "Brunton"

        EDIT: supports *has* the name

        > A control valve with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom
        > of the inner burner and extending past the supports.

        EDIT: extends

        > The stuff sack is large enough so that all the
        > components that are included.

        EDIT: finish the sentence

        > To use the stove with gas/butane type fuel, it is turn the control
        > valve on at the stove slightly, releasing some gas and then light the
        > gas with a match or lighter.

        EDIT: Cut "it is".

        > To prime
        > the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
        > for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
        > fuel bottle.

        EDIT: This is straight from the manual. Try using quotes in a sentence something like this:
        "To prime the stove, Bruton's Vapor manual says to, 'pump approximately 20-25 full
        strokes to build up air pressure in the fuel bottle.'"

        > Turn of the valve, light the wick, and
        > once the flame has become small, turn the valve slowly on, until
        > there is a controlled, blue flame. .

        EDIT: There's an extra space and period.

        A high, surging and yellowish
        > flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the
        > bottle.

        EDIT: This sounds pretty close to the manual. Instead, try something like, "According to
        the Vapor manual, over-pressurizing or insufficiently priming the fuel bottle will result in
        a 'high, surging and yellowish flame'."

        > To turn off the stove, all that needs to be done is to rotate
        > the fuel bottle and pump until off is seem on the pump.

        EDIT: Do you mean until "OFF" is seen? (not seem)

        > This allows
        > for extra fuel to be burnt, and depressurization of the fuel bottle.

        EDIT: and for depressurization

        > If stove output is still poor, it may be
        > necessary to remove the burner plate, unscrew the jet using the
        > provided Multi-tool, and then carefully prick the jet orifice to
        > remove any obstructing debris.

        EDIT: Again, this is just practically straight from the manual. How about something like: "If
        stove output is not improved after cleaning the jet hole, Brunton recommends removing
        the burner plate and unscrewing the jet to remove additional debris."

        > This concludes my Initial
        > Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in
        > approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
        > back then for further information.

        EDIT: I read your comment, but the BGT page is wrong and the word "amended" is wrong
        in this context. A lot of us, including myself, blindly copied this mistake when it was made
        on an example page on the BGT sit. Please take out the word "amended" from your report.
        There was some discussion of this mistake awhile back:
      • kholling55
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hey Sheila,

          Thanks for the edits. Sorry to be so much trouble. I just wanted to
          start off fresh. I corrected the edits. I took your advice on
          replaceing two sentences, but on the suggestion

          > To prime
          > the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
          > for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
          > fuel bottle.

          I used "The control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
          until firm resistance is felt. According to the provided manual, this
          usually occurs in "approximately 20-25 full strokes.""

          It just sounded better to me.

          I also added the length of the fuel line "Coming from the side of the
          control valve is a 11.5 in ( 29.2 cm) braided steel fuel hose that is
          used to connect the fuel source to the stove."

          I also changed amended to added.

          I will upload the report as soon as the folder is there.

          Cheers,

          Kevin H