Re: EDIT: IR - Brunton Vapor Stove Kevin H

  • S
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi Kevin,

      No need for that! If you find anywhere in the report where you need quotes, then add
      them in. Otherwise, the report will be fine with the edits.

      Thanks,

      Sheila

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "kholling55" <kholling55@...> wrote:

      > If there is a problem, I can rewrite it.
      >
      > Except the parts that I said that came from the user manual, which I
      > tried to rewrite in my own word, it is all mine. I do take alot if
      > stuff from the manufacturer's website, the box and other sources, but
      > I will rephrase it into my own words.
      >
      > Let Me know what you want,
      >
      > Kevin
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        And, as the Monitor for this test, Sheila will deal with it....because it is
        *her* job.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          Sheila,

          I know that you said that it wasn't necessary to do a rewrite, I
          thought because of some of the responses that I read that I would do
          it any way. I don't know how much more I can change it. I left the
          conclusion in "The Field Report will be amended to this report in
          approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
          back then for further information. " because that is what I read on
          BGT to have in the reports. Of course I can change it if you like. I
          also left my email the same, because I have never had aproblem and I
          thought that we were suppose to have a clickable address. I am
          submitting it again for edit.

          Sorry for the problems.Cheers,

          Kevin

          The html is here

          http://tinyurl.com/2vot7e

          The rest is here:

          Initial Report (January 31, 2008)

          Tester Information:
          Name: Kevin Hollingsworth
          Age: 43
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6' 1" (1.9 m)
          Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
          Email address: kholling55@...
          City, State, Country: Williamsburg, Virginia. USA

          I started backpacking and camping when I was in the Scouts. I spent
          20 years in the military, which curtailed my personal outdoors
          adventures. While day-hiking, I normally carry a light load, a waist
          pack with mostly food and water and a few other things. On three to
          four day trips, I will carry a pack weighing about 45 to 50 lb (21 to
          23 kg). I prefer to hike in the mountains. I have been hiking in
          Colorado (USA), Korea, Egypt, and most recently the eastern part of
          the United States.

          Initial Report - January 31, 2008

          Product Information & Specifications:
          Manufacturer: Brunton
          Year of Manufacture: 2007

          Listed Specifications:

          Weight: 16.0 oz (454 g)
          Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.2 x 2.3 in (10.4 x 13.2 x 5.8 cm)
          (folded)
          Approximate heat energy rating: 10,000 BTU (10, 551 kJ)
          (Liquid fuel) - 12,000 BTU (12,660 kJ)(Butane)
          Fuel: butane, white gas, kerosene, diesel #1, auto fuel, and jet
          fuel
          Burn time: Up to 2.5 hours-high output
          Boil time (2.1 pt (1 L) of water): 3.5 minutes
          MSRP: $180.00 USD

          Measured Specifications:

          Weight (stove): 13.25 oz (375.58 g)
          Weight ( stove, bottle and pump): 20.45 oz (579.69 g)
          Weight (stove, bottle, pump and accessories): 25.15 oz (713.05 g)
          Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.5 x 2.5 in (10.4 x 14.0 x 6.4 cm)
          (folded)
          Warranty: Limited Lifetime: Brunton warrants this product to be
          free of defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the
          original owner, and is nontransferable. This warranty does not cover
          damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, or tampering.

          Product Description:

          The Brunton Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition Stove is a multi-fuel stove
          that uses a single jet for all liquid fuels and butane. The stove is
          constructed of aluminum, stainless steel and brass. It has precision
          simmering control and a quick-priming burner. The fuel bottle uses a
          self-purging Flip-stop pump for ease of use. The Flip-stop pump is
          designed to prevent fuel spillage and release air pressure from the
          fuel bottle prior to disconnecting from the stove.

          The stove came with the stove assembly, an empty liquid fuel bottle,
          a plastic pump, a folded aluminum windscreen, a servicing kit, a
          stuff sack, and two sets of instructions. The instructions are
          written in English and Japanese, and contain safety warnings, fuel
          types, operating instructions, cleaning instructions, and a parts
          list.

          The servicing kit consists of a jet cleaning needle, spare O-rings
          and a maintenance tool. This is all packed in a small plastic zip
          lock bag.

          The stove has of a large, orange aluminum burner cup, with the
          letter "G" and "L" engraved in it. A brass inner burner cup with the
          screw-in jet is located on the inside of the large outer cup. Sitting
          on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. This is kept
          in place by a wire keeper that is connected to one of angled steel
          leg/pot supports. These legs/supports are attached to the burner cap
          by a screw and can be rotated from the storage position out to makes
          the base for the stove. Each of the supports is the name "Brunton"
          and a few oblongs cut into them. On the top of the supports there is
          a saw-tooth pattern cut into the metal.

          A control valve with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom
          of the inner burner and extending past the supports. Coming from the
          side of the control valve is the braided steel fuel hose that is used
          to connect the fuel source to the stove.

          The fuel bottle is made from aluminum and has a black plastic screw-
          in plug. The pump is made from orange plastic and fits into the
          bottle for use with liquid fuels. The pump has the words "ON"
          and "OFF" on opposite sides of the pump. It also has two plastic
          tubes extending out of the pump. There is an adjustment valve where
          the feed line connects to the pump.

          The stuff sack is constructed of black nylon-like material. On the
          inside of the sack there is a zippered compartment that the service
          kit fits into. The stuff sack is large enough so that all the
          components that are included. The sack is closed by a cord with a
          plastic tensioner.

          To use the stove with gas/butane type fuel, it is turn the control
          valve on at the stove slightly, releasing some gas and then light the
          gas with a match or lighter. To turn the stove off, just close the
          control valve.

          To use the stove with liquid type fuel the startup procedure is a
          little different. The stove needs to be preheated or primed. To prime
          the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
          for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
          fuel bottle. Next turn the control valve allowing fuel into the
          burner jet and priming wick. Turn of the valve, light the wick, and
          once the flame has become small, turn the valve slowly on, until
          there is a controlled, blue flame. . A high, surging and yellowish
          flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the
          bottle. To turn off the stove, all that needs to be done is to rotate
          the fuel bottle and pump until off is seem on the pump. This allows
          for extra fuel to be burnt, and depressurization of the fuel bottle.
          Also, the escaping air pressure that is released through the burner
          jet will help to clean the jet.

          Care and Cleaning:
          To clean the stove, the flame spreader needs to be removed. Then
          using the included cleaning needle any debris or waste material is
          cleaned from the jet hole. If stove output is still poor, it may be
          necessary to remove the burner plate, unscrew the jet using the
          provided Multi-tool, and then carefully prick the jet orifice to
          remove any obstructing debris.

          Brunton also recommends to making it a habit of cleaning the burner
          jet prior to setting it up, and packing out.

          Initial Impressions:

          My initial impression of the stove was that it was a quality product.
          The stove seems durable and very well made. Being used to using
          primarily gas type stoves, I had a concern with the procedure on
          lighting the stove when using liquid type fuel. But after reading the
          instructions a few times, I figured it can't be that difficult. I
          hopefully will be able to master it after a few tries. Beside the
          quality of workmanship, what impressed me was the stove's ability to
          use such a wide variety of fuel, without changing any jets.

          Conclusions:

          Upon my initial assessment, I like the Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition
          Stove and Brunton's quality of workmanship.

          I would like to thank both BackpackGearTest and Brunton for the
          opportunity to test the Vapor stove. This concludes my Initial
          Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in
          approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
          back then for further information.

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

          > Hi Kevin,
          >
          > No need for that! If you find anywhere in the report where you need
          quotes, then add
          > them in. Otherwise, the report will be fine with the edits.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Sheila

        • S
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
            Hi Kevin,

            Alrighty, I suppose it's good to start fresh anyway.
            As usual, EDITs, Edits and Comments are below.

            Sheila

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "kholling55" <kholling55@...> wrote:

            > Fuel: butane, white gas, kerosene, diesel #1, auto fuel, and jet

            Edit: It looks like there's an extra space before "jet"

            > The stove has of a large, orange aluminum burner cup, with the
            > letter "G" and "L" engraved in it. A brass inner burner cup with the
            > screw-in jet is located on the inside of the large outer cup. Sitting
            > on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. This is kept
            > in place by a wire keeper that is connected to one of angled steel
            > leg/pot supports.

            EDIT: legs

            > Each of the supports is the name "Brunton"

            EDIT: supports *has* the name

            > A control valve with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom
            > of the inner burner and extending past the supports.

            EDIT: extends

            > The stuff sack is large enough so that all the
            > components that are included.

            EDIT: finish the sentence

            > To use the stove with gas/butane type fuel, it is turn the control
            > valve on at the stove slightly, releasing some gas and then light the
            > gas with a match or lighter.

            EDIT: Cut "it is".

            > To prime
            > the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
            > for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
            > fuel bottle.

            EDIT: This is straight from the manual. Try using quotes in a sentence something like this:
            "To prime the stove, Bruton's Vapor manual says to, 'pump approximately 20-25 full
            strokes to build up air pressure in the fuel bottle.'"

            > Turn of the valve, light the wick, and
            > once the flame has become small, turn the valve slowly on, until
            > there is a controlled, blue flame. .

            EDIT: There's an extra space and period.

            A high, surging and yellowish
            > flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the
            > bottle.

            EDIT: This sounds pretty close to the manual. Instead, try something like, "According to
            the Vapor manual, over-pressurizing or insufficiently priming the fuel bottle will result in
            a 'high, surging and yellowish flame'."

            > To turn off the stove, all that needs to be done is to rotate
            > the fuel bottle and pump until off is seem on the pump.

            EDIT: Do you mean until "OFF" is seen? (not seem)

            > This allows
            > for extra fuel to be burnt, and depressurization of the fuel bottle.

            EDIT: and for depressurization

            > If stove output is still poor, it may be
            > necessary to remove the burner plate, unscrew the jet using the
            > provided Multi-tool, and then carefully prick the jet orifice to
            > remove any obstructing debris.

            EDIT: Again, this is just practically straight from the manual. How about something like: "If
            stove output is not improved after cleaning the jet hole, Brunton recommends removing
            the burner plate and unscrewing the jet to remove additional debris."

            > This concludes my Initial
            > Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in
            > approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
            > back then for further information.

            EDIT: I read your comment, but the BGT page is wrong and the word "amended" is wrong
            in this context. A lot of us, including myself, blindly copied this mistake when it was made
            on an example page on the BGT sit. Please take out the word "amended" from your report.
            There was some discussion of this mistake awhile back:
          • kholling55
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
              Hey Sheila,

              Thanks for the edits. Sorry to be so much trouble. I just wanted to
              start off fresh. I corrected the edits. I took your advice on
              replaceing two sentences, but on the suggestion

              > To prime
              > the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
              > for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
              > fuel bottle.

              I used "The control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
              until firm resistance is felt. According to the provided manual, this
              usually occurs in "approximately 20-25 full strokes.""

              It just sounded better to me.

              I also added the length of the fuel line "Coming from the side of the
              control valve is a 11.5 in ( 29.2 cm) braided steel fuel hose that is
              used to connect the fuel source to the stove."

              I also changed amended to added.

              I will upload the report as soon as the folder is there.

              Cheers,