Application Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy Arnold Peterson

  • al peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      Application to test Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy

      Arnold Peterson
      I have read the by-laws and all the required material including BGT
      Bylaws v. 0609 and will abide by the rules. I have also mailed in a
      signed test agreement in late 2006.

      Date: February 1, 2007

      Biographical Information
      Name Arnold Peterson
      Age 69
      Gender M
      Height 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      Weight 165 lb (74.8 kg)
      Email Address ALP4982 AT yahoo DOT com
      Location Wilmington Massachusetts USA

      Backpacking Background: At this time almost all my experience has
      been hiking in New Hampshire, Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick,
      and Nova Scotia Canada using an 11 lb (5 kg) day pack. I have
      backpacked on Mt. Washington and Imp Shelter located between North
      Carter and Mount Moriah mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will
      be writing about has been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in
      New Hampshire. I have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers
      (1219 m) of New Hampshire. My longest day hike was 12 hours covering
      almost 20 miles (32 km). I spend most of my time in Mt Lafayette
      5260 ft (160 m) area of New Hampshire. There is usually snow and ice
      above 2500 ft (762 m) starting in late October.

      Test plan for the Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy
      In "58" I went backpacking without a tent and only a sleeping bag. I
      had to contend with hail and rain, not a lot of fun. In "74", I
      started to do a lot of backpacking and camping with tents.
      My test plan would be built around function, comfort, usability, and
      durability. I will be testing in NH, ME, and VT USA. The
      temperatures could typically be as low as -20 F (-29 C). Rain and
      snow is almost a certainty. Mt Washington has had temperatures as
      low as -60 F (-51 C) and has recorded the strongest winds on earth at
      231 MPH (372 km/hr). This year I will not be going south and have
      started gearing up for colder hiking weather. Temperatures change
      greatly from the base of the mountain with altitudes ranging from
      4000 to 6000 ft (1219-1829 m). Being able to stay warm is more than
      comfort, it is survival. The following mountains are on my winter
      agenda: Sandwich Mt 980 ft (121 m), Mt Nancy 3926 ft (1197 m), Mt
      Weeks N peak 33901 ft (1189 m), Mt Weeks S peak 3885 ft (3885 m),
      Vose Spur 3862 ft (1177 m). The Sleepers E peak 860 (1177 M), Nubble
      Peak 3813 ft (1162 m), and Cannon Balls NE peak 3769 ft (1149 m),
      which are all part of the New England Hundred Highest Peaks.
      Contingency peaks would be Mt Lincoln 5089 ft (1551 m), Mt Liberty
      4489 ft (1359 M) and Mt Moosilauke 4802 ft (1464 M).

      My test plan would be built around function, ease of use, and
      durability. I will be testing in NH, ME, and VT USA. The overnight
      temperatures could be as low as -20 F (-29 C) and sometimes lower.
      Rain or snow is a certainty on many trips. The initial testing will
      be a 1-2 night backpacking at a local forest. This is something I
      have done with all my backpacking equipment.

      Function and ease of use
      I will investigate compatibility issues with my backpack. Will it
      fit easily into my backpack? I am testing the Big Agnes Battle
      Mountain sleeping bag and I will be looking at how well it integrates
      with the 3 BS 3 Wire Bivy. One of my goals is to explore products
      that will extend the amount of time I spend living outdoors. The
      following issues will be addressed using the 3 Wire Bivy: Ease of
      setting up the 3 Wire Bivy even in low light conditions. Getting up
      in the morning and ready for the trail. Will I be able to easily
      stake the Bivy in snow ice and frozen ground? Will the stakes be
      durable enough for this kind of treatment? How good is the
      ventilation? I will find any problems associated with putting the
      sleeping bag into and out of the 3 Wire Bivy. I will look for any
      shifting between the products. How well with this gear ventilate?
      Will any layers trap moisture and result in cold spots? Will the
      zipper get caught easily in the material? If it does get caught, is
      it easy to fix? Does the zipper system allow to have to bottom open
      if temperatures get to warm for the feet? How well will I be
      protected from wind driven rain or snow? How easy will it be for me
      to get in and out of this Bivy? For my height I have a large frame
      and this could pose problems.

      How well will the Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy stand up to trail use? I
      will be using the zipper a lot especially for nature calls. I will
      be looking for smooth operating zippers over the long haul. Will the
      seams stay water resistant over time? Will any of the stress areas
      show signs of weakening?

      Testing will also be done in the White mountains of NH USA. I will
      be testing in local forest east of Manchester New Hampshire. It is
      also possible that I will be testing it in some local Massachusetts
      State Forrest and in the mountains of Vermont. The mountains I plan
      on hiking will have elevations of 4-5 thousand ft (1219-1824 m). I
      will note any problems if I will need to pack a wet shelter.

      Previously Written Reports

      Current Projects
      In the FR stage for Big Agnes sleeping bag system, Black Diamond
      Headlamp and Kahtoola MICROspikes. Waiting to receive Gregory
      Applications under consideration.
      I wish to thank those who will be evaluating my application for the
      Big Agnes Battle 3 Wire Bivy.
      Arnold Peterson