Post: IR - Brunton Vapor Stove Kevin H

  • Kevin Hollingsworth
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
      Enclosed is my IR For the Brunton Vapor. Thanks in adance for the edits. Html is located here:

      http://tinyurl.com/2y6eum

      Cheers,

      Kevin H

      Brunton Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition Stove
      Test Series by Kevin Hollingsworth
      January 31, 2008

      Tester Information:
      Name: Kevin Hollingsworth
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’ 1” (1.9 m)
      Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
      Email address: kholling55@...
      City, State, Country: Williamsburg, Virginia. USA

      I started backpacking and camping when I was in the Scouts. I spent 20 years in the military, which curtailed my personal outdoors adventures. While day-hiking, I normally carry a light load, a waist pack with mostly food and water and a few other things. On three to four day trips, I will carry a pack weighing about 45 to 50 lb (21 to 23 kg). I prefer to hike in the mountains. I have been hiking in Colorado (USA), Korea, Egypt, and most recently the Eastern part of the United States.

      Initial Report - January 31, 2008

      Product Information & Specifications:
      Manufacturer: Brunton
      Year of Manufacture: 2007

      Listed Specifications:

      Weight: 16.0 oz (454 g)
      Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.2 x 2.3 in (10.4 x 13.2 x 5.8 cm)(folded)
      Approximate heat energy rating: 10,000 BTU (10, 551 kJ)(Liquid fuel) - 12,000 BTU (12,660 kJ)(Butane)
      Fuel: Butane, White gas, Kerosene, Diesel #1, Auto Fuel, and Jet Fuel
      Burn time: Up to 2.5 hours-high output
      Boil time (1 L of water): 3.5 minutes
      MSRP: $180.00 USD

      Measured Specifications: Note: All measurements are mine (unless otherwise specified)

      Weight (stove): 13.25 oz (375.58 g)
      Weight( stove, bottle and pump): 20.45 oz (579.69 g)
      Weight (stove, bottle , pump and accessories): 25.15 oz (713.05 g)
      Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.5 x 2.5 in (10.4 x 14.0 x 6.4 cm)(folded)

      Warranty: Limited Lifetime: Brunton warrants this product to be free of defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner, and is nontransferable. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, or tampering.

      Product Description:
      The Brunton Vapor™ AF All Fuel Expedition Stove is a multi-fuel stove that uses a single jet for all liquid fuels & butane. The stove is constructed of aluminum, stainless steel and brass. It has precision simmering control and a quick-priming burner. The fuel bottle uses a self-purging Flip-stop pump for ease of use. The Flip-stop pump is designed to prevent fuel spillage and release air pressure from the fuel bottle prior to disconnecting from the stove.

      The stove came with the stove assembly, an empty liquid fuel bottle, a plastic pump, a folded aluminum windscreen, a servicing kit, a stuff sack, and two sets of instructions. The instructions are written in English and Japanese, and contain safety warnings, fuel types, operating instructions, cleaning instructions, and a parts list.
      The servicing kit consist of a jet cleaning needle, spare O-rings and a maintenance tool. This is all packed in a small plastic zip lock bag.
      The stove consists of an orange aluminum burner cup, with the letter ‘G’ and ‘L’ engraved in it. Located inside the burner cap is a brass inner burner cup with the jet. Sitting on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. It is kept in place by a wire keeper that attached to one of the three angled steel leg/pot supports. Each of the legs swings around the burner from the folded position to makes the base for the stove and the pot support. The supports have a saw-tooth pattern for pot support. Cut out of each of the supports is the Brunton name and a few oblongs.

      A control valve, with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom of the inner burner. Coming from the side of the control valve is the braided steel fuel hose that is used to connect the fuel source to the stove.

      The fuel bottle is made from aluminum and has a plastic screw in plug. The pump is made from orange plastic and fits into the bottle for use with liquid fuels. The pump has the words “ON” and “OFF” on opposite sides of the pump. It also has two plastic tubes extending out of the pump. There is an adjustment valve where the feed line connects to the pump.
      The stuff sack is constructed of black nylon-like material. On the inside of the sack there is a zippered compartment that the service kit fits into. The sack is closed by a cord with a plastic tensioner.
      Stove operation (from user manual):

      The Vapor is able to burn butane or liquid fuels with only one jet and an easy turn of the burner cup. The stove is adjusted for canister or liquid fuel buy rotating the body to
      change the air inlet arrangement. The rotating part of the stove body has either a 'G' (for gas) or an 'L' (liquid). Simply rotate the valve stem towards the side of the fuel used and go.

      To use the stove with gas type fuel:
      Turn control handle 1/2 turn counter clockwise or until gas is heard coming from the jet. Once gas is heard coming from the jet, use a flame to ignite the burner. For desired output, turn the control handle. To turn burner off, simply close the canister valve and control handle by turning clockwise until fully closed.
      To use the stove with liquid type fuel:
      To use the stove with liquid type fuel and to vaporize the fuel, the burner must be primed or preheated. To prime the stove, first ensure the control handle is fully closed by turning clockwise and “ON” is showing on the bottle pump. Then pump the pump approximately 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the fuel bottle. For bottles that are less than half full, it may require additional 20-25 strokes. Then turn control handle ½ turn, counter clockwise. After about two seconds, turn control handle fully off. There should now be a small amount of fuel in the burner jet and on the priming wick. Note: When in a cold and windy climate or when using kerosene or diesel, it may be necessary to keep the control handle on for approximately four seconds to release more priming fuel. Once there is a small amount of fuel in the jet and on priming wick, light the wick. This will prime the burner. The priming flame will heat the conductor ribs of the burner, which will
      quickly conduct to the valve house of the burner where the fuel is vaporized. Once priming flame is down to a small flame, slowly turn the control handle a quarter of a turn counter clockwise. The burner should release fuel and produce a controlled, blue flame. If the burner starts to surge, turn down the control handle until flame is blue and steady. Leave it burn for about 20 second at this level before increasing output again. It may necessary to pump the bottle a few times to increase output. Stop pumping once firm resistance is felt on the pump. A high, surging and yellowish flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the bottle.
      To turn the stove off, simply rotate the bottle until “OFF” is showing on the pump. The fuel feed hose of the pump will start to feed air instead of fuel. This allows for the remaining fuel in the pump, hose and burner will be burnt and after a short time the flame will automatically burnout. Air pressure is automatically released through the burner jet, which helps to clean the jet.

      Care and Cleaning (from user manual):
      Remove the flame spreader and then pierce the jet hole with the cleaning needle. If stove output is still poor, it may be necessary to remove the jet to clean it. Remove the burner plate, and unscrew the jet using the provided Multi-tool. Carefully prick the jet orifice using the cleaning needle, then reassemble the jet and burner plate.
      Brunton also recommends to making it a habit of cleaning the burner jet prior to setting it up, and packing out.
      Initial Impressions:

      My initial impression of the stove was that it was a quality product. It seems durable and very well made. Being used to using primarily gas type stoves, I had a concern with the procedure on lighting the stove when using liquid type fuel. But after reading the instructions a few times, I figured it can’t be that difficult. I hopefully will be able to master it after a few tries. Beside the quality of workmanship, what impressed me was its ability to use such a wide variety of fuel, without changing any jets.
      Conclusions: Upon my initial assessment, I like the Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition Stove and Brunton’s quality of workmanship.
      I would like to thank both, BackpackGearTest and Brunton, for the opportunity to test the Vapor stove. This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for further information.

    • S
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
        Hi Kevin,

        Wow, the photos in your report are fantastic!

        What you wrote is great, but a lot of it sounds surprisingly similar to what Jenn E. wrote. I
        mean, so much so that if you were my students, I'd pull you both aside after class to see if
        you two would shake when I told you that. I guess there are only so many ways of writing
        about a stove!

        Anyhow, my EDITs, Edits and Comments are below.

        When you upload the report (I don't think the folder is up yet), don't forget to delete your
        report from the test folder.

        See you in a couple months! :-)

        Sheila

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Hollingsworth <kholling55@...>

        > Email address: kholling55@...

        EDIT: You should write your email with the words "at" and "dot" so the spammers don't get
        ya!

        > I have been hiking in Colorado (USA), Korea, Egypt, and most recently the Eastern part
        of the United States.

        EDIT: eastern

        > Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.2 x 2.3 in (10.4 x 13.2 x 5.8 cm)(folded)

        Edit: How about a space before the "(folded)" or maybe a space and no parentheses?

        > Approximate heat energy rating: 10,000 BTU (10, 551 kJ)(Liquid fuel) - 12,000 BTU
        (12,660 kJ)(Butane)
        > Fuel: Butane, White gas, Kerosene, Diesel #1, Auto Fuel, and Jet
        Fuel

        Edit: The fuels don't need to be capitalized

        > Boil time (1 L of water): 3.5 minutes

        EDIT: conversion on the liter

        > Measured Specifications: Note: All measurements are mine (unless otherwise specified)

        EDIT: Eh...I don't get it. These are all your measurements, right? So you should just get rid
        of that note.

        > Weight( stove, bottle and pump): 20.45 oz (579.69 g)

        EDIT: Fix the spacing problem after "Weight"

        > Weight (stove, bottle , pump and accessories): 25.15 oz (713.05 g)

        EDIT: extra space after "bottle"

        > Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.5 x 2.5 in (10.4 x 14.0 x 6.4 cm)(folded)

        Edit: The "(folded)" looks funny, maybe add a space before and/or get rid of the
        parentheses.

        > Warranty: Limited Lifetime: Brunton warrants this product to be free of
        defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner, and is
        nontransferable. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse,
        or tampering.

        EDIT: I'm assuming this is a quote from Brunton, so use quotes.

        > Product Description:
        > The Brunton Vapor™ AF All Fuel Expedition Stove

        Comment: It isn't necessary to use the trademark symbol and since you didn't before, you
        might want to cut it for consistency.

        > is a multi-fuel stove that uses a single jet for all liquid fuels & butane.

        Edit: I'd write out "and" instead of using the ampersand.

        > The servicing kit consist of a jet cleaning needle, spare O-rings and a maintenance
        tool. This is all packed in a small plastic zip lock bag.

        EDIT: consists

        > The stove consists of an orange aluminum burner cup, with the letter `G' and `L'
        engraved in it.

        EDIT: The stove *has* ... (it consists of more than just the cup).
        EDIT: letters
        Comment/Edit: I'm not up on my quotation mark rules and such, but further down you use
        the double quotes for "on" and "off", so maybe you should have the same here for "G" and
        "L".

        >Located inside the burner cap is a brass inner burner cup with the jet. Sitting on top of
        the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. It is kept in place by a wire keeper that
        attached to one of the three angled steel leg/pot supports.

        EDIT: attaches or is attached to, not "that attached to"

        > Each of the legs swings around the burner from the folded position to makes the base
        for the stove and the pot support. The supports have a saw-tooth pattern for pot support.

        EDIT: The pot supports are there for pot support, that's a given. I think the saw-tooth
        pattern may be there so the pot doesn't slip.

        > A control valve, with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom of the inner burner.

        Edit: An odd comma slipped in there accidentally.

        > The fuel bottle is made from aluminum and has a plastic screw in plug.

        Edit: screw-in plug

        > The stuff sack is constructed of black nylon-like material. On the inside of the sack
        there is a zippered compartment that the service kit fits into. The sack is closed by a cord
        with a plastic tensioner.

        EDIT: There's an extra space before this paragraph.
        Edit: Could you say what else it holds?

        > Stove operation (from user manual):
        >
        > The Vapor is able to burn butane or liquid fuels with only one jet and an easy turn of
        the burner cup. The stove is adjusted for canister or liquid fuel buy rotating the body to
        > change the air inlet arrangement. The rotating part of the stove body has either a 'G' (for
        gas) or an 'L' (liquid). Simply rotate the valve stem towards the side of the fuel used and
        go.

        EDIT: You've already described exactly this in your own words, so the whole section should
        be cut.
        EDIT: Also cut the sections on using it with gas or liquid fuels, as that information is
        already above. The one piece of information you didn't describe in your own words above
        was about priming the pump for liquid fuels. You should add that in above.
        EDIT: Also cut the user manual section on turning the stove off. You mention that above.
        EDIT: Take out the user manual section on care and cleaning, but add something about it
        in your own words. Have you have tried taking the pieces apart like you'll have to do when
        you clean it? Is it easy to reassemble?

        > Initial Impressions:
        >
        > Beside the quality of workmanship, what impressed me was its ability to use such a wide
        variety of fuel, without changing any jets.

        Edit: Consider changing "its" to "the stove's" because at first I thought you meant, what
        impressed you about the quality of the workmanship...

        > Conclusions: Upon my initial assessment, I like the Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition Stove
        and Brunton's quality of workmanship.

        Comment: I think it's a little awkward to have conclusions in an initial report, but it's up to
        you.

        > I would like to thank both, BackpackGearTest and Brunton, for the opportunity to test
        the Vapor stove.

        EDIT: A couple extra commas found their way in again.

        > This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in
        approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for further
        information.

        EDIT: Amended is the wrong word. Try added or appended.
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

          > What you wrote is great, but a lot of it sounds surprisingly
          > similar to what Jenn E. wrote. I mean, so much so that if you were
          > my students, I'd pull you both aside after class to see if
          > you two would shake when I told you that.

          Excellent observation Sheila.

          I read it a couple of hours ago and thought the same thing. Some
          things are "exactly" the same. It is very rare to see that happen.

          As an editor I am very in-tune to the way that people write. I know
          the styles that many of us write like. Since I started dating Jenn I
          have been looking at her copy, doing a soft edit and suggesting ways
          to make it less analytical. (And she looks at mine and asks when I am
          going to learn HTML…)

          I had one of my early bag reviews copied almost exactly. It both
          irked me and intrigued me. I mentioned it here;

          His next review was a copy of a pad review I did. It is not there any
          longer. Maybe somebody noticed. At the time of the first one I was
          asked if I would like to make an issue of it, as BGT does not allow
          plagiarism, but they also need to walk carefully as you never know. I
          said that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and that is
          cool.

          I do not care any more that I was copied. It was obvious to me, and
          would be to anyone that knew my writing. (Following my progression
          was his biggest mistake.) I decided that that made me a desirable
          writer, and therefore tester, if it is good enough to get others to
          the promised land. (Greyson never did make it to tester status.) In
          fact I try as hard as I can to be the first person to post an
          application or report so that I can never be said to use other
          people's data points.

          And I have a lot of fun looking for the similarities (exact, that is)
          in the rest. As Sheila has proven, it is noticed.

          Ray
        • Jo Ann Moffi
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
            I looked at these reports just cause of your comment, Sheila. If you
            look at the downloadable instruction sheet, Kevin H.'s is even more
            similar to that. Some of it is to the point that it should be in
            quotations and stated that it was taken from there. That may be why
            the two reports are so similar, but Jenn E.'s is much less similar to
            the instruction sheet.

            Kevin H.'s HTML also has some font issues. I would suspect that it is
            from copying and pasting from the instructions sheet but neglecting to
            change the font so that it was like the rest of the report.

            Jo Ann

            On Jan 31, 2008 11:12 PM, rayestrella1 <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:
            >
            > > What you wrote is great, but a lot of it sounds surprisingly
            > > similar to what Jenn E. wrote. I mean, so much so that if you were
            > > my students, I'd pull you both aside after class to see if
            > > you two would shake when I told you that.

          • kholling55
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
              I did take some of the material from the instruction manual and tried
              to refraise it. That is why I put in the header "(from user manual)".
              I did not put it in quate or Italics because I tried to refraise it.
              I can if that is what is needed to be done.

              Kevin

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Ann Moffi"

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                If there is a problem, I can rewrite it.

                Except the parts that I said that came from the user manual, which I
                tried to rewrite in my own word, it is all mine. I do take alot if
                stuff from the manufacturer's website, the box and other sources, but
                I will rephrase it into my own words.

                Let Me know what you want,

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Hi Kevin,

                  No need for that! If you find anywhere in the report where you need quotes, then add
                  them in. Otherwise, the report will be fine with the edits.

                  Thanks,

                  Sheila

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "kholling55" <kholling55@...> wrote:

                  > If there is a problem, I can rewrite it.
                  >
                  > Except the parts that I said that came from the user manual, which I
                  > tried to rewrite in my own word, it is all mine. I do take alot if
                  > stuff from the manufacturer's website, the box and other sources, but
                  > I will rephrase it into my own words.
                  >
                  > Let Me know what you want,
                  >
                  > Kevin
                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                    And, as the Monitor for this test, Sheila will deal with it....because it is
                    *her* job.

                    Jerry

                    reviews and tests on the planet.

                    > What you wrote is great, but a lot of it sounds surprisingly similar
                    > to what Jenn E. wrote. I mean, so much so that if you were my
                    > students, I'd pull you both aside after class to see if you two would
                    > shake when I told you that.

                    Excellent observation Sheila.

                    I read it a couple of hours ago and thought the same thing. Some things are
                    "exactly" the same. It is very rare to see that happen.

                    As an editor I am very in-tune to the way that people write. I know the
                    styles that many of us write like. Since I started dating Jenn I have been
                    looking at her copy, doing a soft edit and suggesting ways to make it less
                    analytical. (And she looks at mine and asks when I am going to learn HTML.)

                    I had one of my early bag reviews copied almost exactly. It both irked me
                    and intrigued me. I mentioned it here;

                    His next review was a copy of a pad review I did. It is not there any
                    longer. Maybe somebody noticed. At the time of the first one I was asked if
                    I would like to make an issue of it, as BGT does not allow plagiarism, but
                    they also need to walk carefully as you never know. I said that "imitation
                    is the sincerest form of flattery" and that is cool.

                    I do not care any more that I was copied. It was obvious to me, and would be
                    to anyone that knew my writing. (Following my progression was his biggest
                    mistake.) I decided that that made me a desirable writer, and therefore
                    tester, if it is good enough to get others to the promised land. (Greyson
                    never did make it to tester status.) In fact I try as hard as I can to be
                    the first person to post an application or report so that I can never be
                    said to use other people's data points.

                    And I have a lot of fun looking for the similarities (exact, that is) in the
                    rest. As Sheila has proven, it is noticed.

                    Ray

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • kholling55
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Sheila,

                      I know that you said that it wasn't necessary to do a rewrite, I
                      thought because of some of the responses that I read that I would do
                      it any way. I don't know how much more I can change it. I left the
                      conclusion in "The Field Report will be amended to this report in
                      approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
                      back then for further information. " because that is what I read on
                      BGT to have in the reports. Of course I can change it if you like. I
                      also left my email the same, because I have never had aproblem and I
                      thought that we were suppose to have a clickable address. I am
                      submitting it again for edit.

                      Sorry for the problems.Cheers,

                      Kevin

                      The html is here

                      http://tinyurl.com/2vot7e

                      The rest is here:

[...]

                      Boil time (2.1 pt (1 L) of water): 3.5 minutes
                      MSRP: $180.00 USD

                      Measured Specifications:

                      Weight (stove): 13.25 oz (375.58 g)
                      Weight ( stove, bottle and pump): 20.45 oz (579.69 g)
                      Weight (stove, bottle, pump and accessories): 25.15 oz (713.05 g)
                      Overall dimensions: 4.1 x 5.5 x 2.5 in (10.4 x 14.0 x 6.4 cm)
                      (folded)
                      Warranty: Limited Lifetime: Brunton warrants this product to be
                      free of defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the
                      original owner, and is nontransferable. This warranty does not cover
                      damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, or tampering.

                      Product Description:

                      The Brunton Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition Stove is a multi-fuel stove
                      that uses a single jet for all liquid fuels and butane. The stove is
                      constructed of aluminum, stainless steel and brass. It has precision
                      simmering control and a quick-priming burner. The fuel bottle uses a
                      self-purging Flip-stop pump for ease of use. The Flip-stop pump is
                      designed to prevent fuel spillage and release air pressure from the
                      fuel bottle prior to disconnecting from the stove.

                      The stove came with the stove assembly, an empty liquid fuel bottle,
                      a plastic pump, a folded aluminum windscreen, a servicing kit, a
                      stuff sack, and two sets of instructions. The instructions are
                      written in English and Japanese, and contain safety warnings, fuel
                      types, operating instructions, cleaning instructions, and a parts
                      list.

                      The servicing kit consists of a jet cleaning needle, spare O-rings
                      and a maintenance tool. This is all packed in a small plastic zip
                      lock bag.

                      The stove has of a large, orange aluminum burner cup, with the
                      letter "G" and "L" engraved in it. A brass inner burner cup with the
                      screw-in jet is located on the inside of the large outer cup. Sitting
                      on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. This is kept
                      in place by a wire keeper that is connected to one of angled steel
                      leg/pot supports. These legs/supports are attached to the burner cap
                      by a screw and can be rotated from the storage position out to makes
                      the base for the stove. Each of the supports is the name "Brunton"
                      and a few oblongs cut into them. On the top of the supports there is
                      a saw-tooth pattern cut into the metal.

                      A control valve with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom
                      of the inner burner and extending past the supports. Coming from the
                      side of the control valve is the braided steel fuel hose that is used
                      to connect the fuel source to the stove.

                      The fuel bottle is made from aluminum and has a black plastic screw-
                      in plug. The pump is made from orange plastic and fits into the
                      bottle for use with liquid fuels. The pump has the words "ON"
                      and "OFF" on opposite sides of the pump. It also has two plastic
                      tubes extending out of the pump. There is an adjustment valve where
                      the feed line connects to the pump.

                      The stuff sack is constructed of black nylon-like material. On the
                      inside of the sack there is a zippered compartment that the service
                      kit fits into. The stuff sack is large enough so that all the
                      components that are included. The sack is closed by a cord with a
                      plastic tensioner.

                      To use the stove with gas/butane type fuel, it is turn the control
                      valve on at the stove slightly, releasing some gas and then light the
                      gas with a match or lighter. To turn the stove off, just close the
                      control valve.

                      To use the stove with liquid type fuel the startup procedure is a
                      little different. The stove needs to be preheated or primed. To prime
                      the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
                      for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
                      fuel bottle. Next turn the control valve allowing fuel into the
                      burner jet and priming wick. Turn of the valve, light the wick, and
                      once the flame has become small, turn the valve slowly on, until
                      there is a controlled, blue flame. . A high, surging and yellowish
                      flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the
                      bottle. To turn off the stove, all that needs to be done is to rotate
                      the fuel bottle and pump until off is seem on the pump. This allows
                      for extra fuel to be burnt, and depressurization of the fuel bottle.
                      Also, the escaping air pressure that is released through the burner
                      jet will help to clean the jet.

                      Care and Cleaning:
                      To clean the stove, the flame spreader needs to be removed. Then
                      using the included cleaning needle any debris or waste material is
                      cleaned from the jet hole. If stove output is still poor, it may be
                      necessary to remove the burner plate, unscrew the jet using the
                      provided Multi-tool, and then carefully prick the jet orifice to
                      remove any obstructing debris.

                      Brunton also recommends to making it a habit of cleaning the burner
                      jet prior to setting it up, and packing out.

                      Initial Impressions:

                      My initial impression of the stove was that it was a quality product.
                      The stove seems durable and very well made. Being used to using
                      primarily gas type stoves, I had a concern with the procedure on
                      lighting the stove when using liquid type fuel. But after reading the
                      instructions a few times, I figured it can't be that difficult. I
                      hopefully will be able to master it after a few tries. Beside the
                      quality of workmanship, what impressed me was the stove's ability to
                      use such a wide variety of fuel, without changing any jets.

                      Conclusions:

                      Upon my initial assessment, I like the Vapor AF All Fuel Expedition
                      Stove and Brunton's quality of workmanship.

                      I would like to thank both BackpackGearTest and Brunton for the
                      opportunity to test the Vapor stove. This concludes my Initial
                      Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in
                      approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
                      back then for further information.

                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Kevin,
                      >
                      > No need for that! If you find anywhere in the report where you need
                      quotes, then add
                      > them in. Otherwise, the report will be fine with the edits.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Sheila

                    • S
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                        Hi Kevin,

                        Alrighty, I suppose it's good to start fresh anyway.
                        As usual, EDITs, Edits and Comments are below.

                        Sheila

                        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "kholling55" <kholling55@...> wrote:

                        > Fuel: butane, white gas, kerosene, diesel #1, auto fuel, and jet

                        Edit: It looks like there's an extra space before "jet"

                        > The stove has of a large, orange aluminum burner cup, with the
                        > letter "G" and "L" engraved in it. A brass inner burner cup with the
                        > screw-in jet is located on the inside of the large outer cup. Sitting
                        > on top of the inner cup is a steel flame spreader cup. This is kept
                        > in place by a wire keeper that is connected to one of angled steel
                        > leg/pot supports.

                        EDIT: legs

                        > Each of the supports is the name "Brunton"

                        EDIT: supports *has* the name

                        > A control valve with a folding wire handle is located at the bottom
                        > of the inner burner and extending past the supports.

                        EDIT: extends

                        > The stuff sack is large enough so that all the
                        > components that are included.

                        EDIT: finish the sentence

                        > To use the stove with gas/butane type fuel, it is turn the control
                        > valve on at the stove slightly, releasing some gas and then light the
                        > gas with a match or lighter.

                        EDIT: Cut "it is".

                        > To prime
                        > the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
                        > for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
                        > fuel bottle.

                        EDIT: This is straight from the manual. Try using quotes in a sentence something like this:
                        "To prime the stove, Bruton's Vapor manual says to, 'pump approximately 20-25 full
                        strokes to build up air pressure in the fuel bottle.'"

                        > Turn of the valve, light the wick, and
                        > once the flame has become small, turn the valve slowly on, until
                        > there is a controlled, blue flame. .

                        EDIT: There's an extra space and period.

                        A high, surging and yellowish
                        > flame is the result of insufficient priming or over-pressurize of the
                        > bottle.

                        EDIT: This sounds pretty close to the manual. Instead, try something like, "According to
                        the Vapor manual, over-pressurizing or insufficiently priming the fuel bottle will result in
                        a 'high, surging and yellowish flame'."

                        > To turn off the stove, all that needs to be done is to rotate
                        > the fuel bottle and pump until off is seem on the pump.

                        EDIT: Do you mean until "OFF" is seen? (not seem)

                        > This allows
                        > for extra fuel to be burnt, and depressurization of the fuel bottle.

                        EDIT: and for depressurization

                        > If stove output is still poor, it may be
                        > necessary to remove the burner plate, unscrew the jet using the
                        > provided Multi-tool, and then carefully prick the jet orifice to
                        > remove any obstructing debris.

                        EDIT: Again, this is just practically straight from the manual. How about something like: "If
                        stove output is not improved after cleaning the jet hole, Brunton recommends removing
                        the burner plate and unscrewing the jet to remove additional debris."

                        > This concludes my Initial
                        > Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in
                        > approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check
                        > back then for further information.

                        EDIT: I read your comment, but the BGT page is wrong and the word "amended" is wrong
                        in this context. A lot of us, including myself, blindly copied this mistake when it was made
                        on an example page on the BGT sit. Please take out the word "amended" from your report.
                        There was some discussion of this mistake awhile back:
                      • kholling55
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
                          Hey Sheila,

                          Thanks for the edits. Sorry to be so much trouble. I just wanted to
                          start off fresh. I corrected the edits. I took your advice on
                          replaceing two sentences, but on the suggestion

                          > To prime
                          > the stove, the control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
                          > for about 20-25 full strokes to build up air pressure with-in the
                          > fuel bottle.

                          I used "The control valve is closed and the bottle is "pumped up"
                          until firm resistance is felt. According to the provided manual, this
                          usually occurs in "approximately 20-25 full strokes.""

                          It just sounded better to me.

                          I also added the length of the fuel line "Coming from the side of the
                          control valve is a 11.5 in ( 29.2 cm) braided steel fuel hose that is
                          used to connect the fuel source to the stove."

                          I also changed amended to added.

                          I will upload the report as soon as the folder is there.

                          Cheers,

                          Kevin H