REPOST: IR - Jocolat - Sheila

  • S
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Colleen, I can't find it either. So this is a repost of the same report. -Sheila

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Larabar%20Jocolat%20-
      %20Sheila%20Morrissey/

      http://tinyurl.com/2a383j

      LÄRABAR JŎCALAT BARS

      Initial Report - December 20, 2007
      Long-Term Report - Available by March 2008

      Initial Report: December 20, 2007
      TESTER BIOGRAPHY
      Name: Sheila Morrissey
      Age: 27
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.7 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email Address: geosheila(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Goleta, California, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I have been backpacking since 2005. Most of my trips have been from one to three nights
      in length on trails in the Sierra Nevada or Los Padres National Forest. My pack typically
      weighs around 25 lb (11 kg), including consumables.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Lärabar
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.larabar.com
      Listed Weight: 1.7 oz (48 g) each
      Measured Weight: 1.8 oz (51 g) each
      Measured Size: 1.5 cm (0.6 in) x 8 cm (3.1 in) each
      MSRP: US$32.00 per box (16 Jŏcalat bars)
      Flavors, nutrition facts and ingredients:

      Chocolate

      Chocolate Coffee

      Chocolate Mint

      Chocolate Orange

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      Lärabar Jŏcalat are energy bars available in four chocolately flavors: chocolate, chocolate
      coffee, chocolate mint and chocolate orange. The bars are all made primarily of dates and
      nuts. They are all rectangular, brown, somewhat sticky (not as sticky as dates) and have
      visible pieces of nuts. Larabar makes a number of environmental, health and diet claims
      about the bars: the cocoa is Fair Trade Certified, the ingredients are organic and non-
      GMO, there is no added sugar, they are Pareve Kosher certified, the bars and the facility
      where they are made are peanut-free, and the bars are also gluton-free, soy-free and
      vegan.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      I think it's a little strange that these bars are named Jŏcalat ("a centuries-old word" for
      chocolate) since they are all primarily made of dates, not chocolate. Dates and nuts are
      one of my favorite snacks and, since chocolate makes everything better, I was excited to
      try these Jŏcalat bars. Since I have so many of the bars to eat during this test, I went ahead
      and tasted each of the four flavors for this initial report. None of the bars taste as sweet as
      plain dates and nuts alone, probably because the unsweetened cocoa is rather bitter.
      Though they're not as sweet as I expected them to be, I like the taste of all the Jŏcalat
      bars.

      The Chocolate flavor is probably my favorite so far. I can easily taste the dates and the
      unsweetened cocoa. The almonds are in large enough chunks that they are recognizable
      and I was glad to find that they were crunchy as well. The Chocolate Coffee flavor is even
      less sweet and has a strong coffee bean flavor. The taste of the hazelnuts in it is also
      noticable. The Chocolate Mint flavor is my least favorite Jŏcalat bar so far. Even though I'm
      usually a fan of peppermint, especially when paired with chocolate, the peppermint flavor
      in this bar is a bit overpowering. The Chocolate Orange bar has a very strong flavor of
      bitter orange rind, but the date flavor is still quit noticeable.

      REMARKS
      This concludes my Initial Report. My completed Test Series will be complete by March
      2008. Thank you to Lärabar and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the
      opportunity to test the Jŏcalat bars.

      Read more gear reviews by Sheila Morrissey

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball" <tarbubble@...> wrote:

      > OK, post-holidays i'm trying to get the Jocolat IRs edited, but Yahoo
      > groups seems to want to hide them from me. Jocolat testers, can you
      > find your IRs and give me the message numbers? in the meantime i'll
      > keep trying to find them.
      >
      > also, do we no longer have a holiday hiatus? Bridget is showing me as
      > being late on my edits, which by normal standards i am. or if Bridget
      > just isn't programmed for the hiatus then i won't worry about it.
      >
      > thanks!
      >
      > -colleen

    • larry
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hey Colleen-

        I had to look back a few pages of Yahoo posts, but my IR post is
        #40302.

        I can repost if needed, but I'd rather not disturb the gods of Yahoo
        Groups, if you know what I mean!

        Cheers,

        -larry

        <tarbubble@...> wrote:

        > OK, post-holidays i'm trying to get the Jocolat IRs edited, but Yahoo
        > groups seems to want to hide them from me. Jocolat testers, can you
        > find your IRs and give me the message numbers? in the meantime i'll
        > keep trying to find them.

      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hey Sheila, thanks for re-posting. i searched the archives by
          "larabar," "jocolat," and by all of your names and got nothing.

          thank you for your IR, and here we go...

          edit #1: unfortunately we have to spell it "LARABAR" (with the umlaut
          over that first A).

          > where they are made are peanut-free, and the bars are also
          gluton-free, soy-free and vegan.

          edit: "gluten-free"

          > less sweet and has a strong coffee bean flavor. The taste of the
          hazelnuts in it is also noticable.

          edit: "noticeable."

          > in this bar is a bit overpowering. The Chocolate Orange bar has a
          very strong flavor of
          > bitter orange rind, but the date flavor is still quit noticeable.

          edit: "quite noticeable."

          OK, we're done. make your fixes and upload when ready.

          -colleen
        • S
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
            Thanks, Colleen! :-)
            Edits are made and I'll get it uploaded when there's a folder.

            Sheila

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball" <tarbubble@...> wrote:

            > Hey Sheila, thanks for re-posting. i searched the archives by
            > "larabar," "jocolat," and by all of your names and got nothing.
            >
            > thank you for your IR, and here we go...
            >
            > edit #1: unfortunately we have to spell it "LARABAR" (with the umlaut
            > over that first A).
            >

            > > where they are made are peanut-free, and the bars are also
            > gluton-free, soy-free and vegan.
            >
            > edit: "gluten-free"
            >

            > > less sweet and has a strong coffee bean flavor. The taste of the
            > hazelnuts in it is also noticable.
            >
            > edit: "noticeable."
            >

            > > in this bar is a bit overpowering. The Chocolate Orange bar has a
            > very strong flavor of
            > > bitter orange rind, but the date flavor is still quit noticeable.
            >
            > edit: "quite noticeable."
            >

            > OK, we're done. make your fixes and upload when ready.
            >
            > -colleen

          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
              > also, do we no longer have a holiday hiatus? Bridget is showing me as
              > being late on my edits, which by normal standards i am. or if Bridget
              > just isn't programmed for the hiatus then i won't worry about it.
              >
              > thanks!

              BridGeT doesn't take the holidays into account for edits. It's strictly a
              count from the day the report was posted to the day it was edited. Reports
              posted before the holiday should be edited ASAP, but anything posted during
              the holiday can be simply held until the resumption of activity. I will
              tell BridGeT to excuse any late edits. Let me know which tests. I've got
              the Jocolat.

              Shane
              BridGeT Wrangler