FR - OR EXPED SYNMAT LT7 - RALPH DITTON

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Coy Boy,

      I attach my Field Report for the OR Exped SynMat LT7 for your edits and
      comments.

      The tinyurl for the link in the test folder is:

      http://tinyurl.com/ynjfdm

      Cheers for 2008.

      Ralph

      FIELD REPORT

      2nd January, 2008

      I have taken the Exped Synmat LT 7 on two backpacking expeditions during

      this phase. The first was an overnighter to a campsite on the Coastal

      Plain Trail. I slept in the simple three-sided timber and iron sleeping

      shelter in early December. The average overnight temperature was 12 C

      (53 F) and the elevation is 71 m (262 ft). I slept on the sleeping

      platform with a groundsheet under the mat for protection and to help in

      keeping it clean. As no pillow pump was supplied I had to supply my own

      and inflate the mat by blowing my breath into it. This only took a few

      minutes to inflate the mat to my satisfaction. The mat was not blown up

      hard as I like a bit of softness when I lay on it and the mat can then

      mould itself to my body in whatever position I toss and turn.

      The second backpacking trip was a four nighter traversing the Nuyts

      Wilderness where elevations as far as sleeping went ranged from sea

      level to 53 m (174 ft). Average overnight temperatures were in the range

      of 12 C (53 F) to 20 C (68 F). Three of the nights I slept in a tent and

      for the one night I slept in the inner of the tent pitched on a sleeping

      platform of a simple three-sided timber and iron sleeping shelter at

      Long Point.

      I did not use any protection under the mat. All that was between the mat

      and the ground/sleeping platform was the floor of the tent which is made

      out of silnylon which is a very thin piece of material.

      On the first night of the trip we camped in an old quartz quarry and I

      was very worried about puncturing the tent floor and sleeping mat but

      that night passed uneventful. Like a good scout, I did have the repair

      kit in the backpack but it never saw the light of day.

      quartz gravel pit

      quartz gravel pit

      The above photo shows the base that the tent was set up on.

      I did not feel the stones under the mat when I fully laid on it. The

      only time that I felt stones was when I sat up to get out of the tent,

      or when I sat on the mat to get into the tent, after removing my shoes

      with my feet over the doorway of the tent. Even then the stones did not

      feel too rough on my bottom. The ground was still warm when I went to

      bed but cold the next morning. My sleep was very comfortable and I do

      toss and turn. I must admit that I was very surprised at how comfortable

      the night sleep was as I was half expecting a puncture and/or some

      deflation through the valves. None occurred.

      My next night was on a sleeping platform at Long Point. This was a very

      straight sleeping arrangement, inner tent, sleeping mat and sleeping

      gear on a level smooth surface. Absolutely no dramas at all.

      Long Point campsite

      Long Point campsite

      The next two nights was at the same location, Thompson Cove. The tent

      was pitched on a slight gradient with the head end higher than the feet

      end. The ground was covered in short grass and small ground covers. The

      ground was moist but not wet. If I knelt on the ground my pants at the

      knees would get ever so slightly damp after a few minutes. Moisture did

      not come through the bottom of the tent and wet the mat.

      Thompson Cove campsite

      Thompson Cove campsite

      My tent is the yellow one at the rear and the ground gradient can be

      seen. My head was at the high end.

      Blowing up

      I had to be careful not to be blowing the mat up like a bull at a gate

      because I suffer from high blood pressure and I am on medication. Once

      when I blew it up very quickly I became very giddy and dizzy and I put

      this down to my medical condition. When I took my time to inflate the

      mat by blowing it up I suffered no ill effects. I estimate that it took

      about two minutes to bring the mat up to my desired firmness.

      Warmth

      As it is currently summer I was not looking for extra warmth but a good

      insulator from the ground and this mat provided this. I was not able to

      feel the heat from the quartz stones and cool dampness from the ground.

      One day we had a rest afternoon so I laid directly on the mat with the

      sleeping bag pushed to one end and I stripped down to my jocks as the

      afternoon was around 28 C (82 F). I had a comfortable few hours sleep in

      the afternoon and did not perspire onto the mat, nor did the mat make me

      feel hot and sticky. Most impressed.

      Length

      The inflated length of 178 cm (70 in) and width of 54 cm (21 in) was

      very generous for my build. I had plenty of leg space when stretched out

      and could curl up into a foetal position very comfortably without bits

      hanging over the sides. I had to bend the mat slightly to get it inside

      the door of my tent as I inflate the mat outside the tent. My hips do

      not touch the ground when I lay on my side which I greatly appreciate.

      It is so comfortable.

      Valves

      The valves have not given any trouble when I open or close them, nor

      have they come open accidentally when I have bumped gear against them

      inside the tent. I tend to place gear around my head for easy reach such

      as a headlamp, water bottle and extra clothing should I get cool during

      the night.

      Packing up

      This operation is very easy. I open up both valves and roll up the mat

      to expel as much air as possible. I then close off the valves so no more

      air sneaks in and repeat the process until I trap any remaining air at

      the valves end. I then open the valves and complete the rolling for the

      last bit to expel the air. I then close off the valves, fold up and put

      it in the stuff sack. The stuff sack fits very neatly inside my backpack

      down near the bottom alongside my sleeping bag. They are both the same

      height.

      Envy factor

      When my backpacking companions saw me inflating my mat they immediately

      saw that it was very different to their self-inflating mats and examined

      it. They were all impressed with the light weight and how thick the mat

      is when inflated and could visualize the comfort that I enjoyed compared

      to their comfort level. Needless to say, questions were asked.

      This concludes my Field Report. The Long Term Report should be completed

      in approximately two months time. Please check back then for further

      information.

    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        Why so early Ralph? I do hope that I have my dates right, but I show this
        isn't due till the 5th of Feb. Is that right?

        AB

        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net

      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
          Andrew,

          BridGet has me due for the FR on the 8/1/08 with the LTR due 19/2/08 so I
          got it in now.

          Ralph

          _____

          http://www.corridor <http://www.corridor9.net> 9.net