Revised IR BIG AGNES BATTLE MOUNTAIN SLEEPING BAG- Arnold Peterson

  • al peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      BIG AGNES BATTLE MOUNTAIN SLEEPING BAG
      TEST SERIES BY ARNOLD PETERSON
      IR
      URL for html report http://tinyurl.com/33ca7q
      text version below

      December 11, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Arnold Peterson
      EMAIL: alp4982(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
      AGE: 69
      LOCATION: Wilmington Massachusetts USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background:

      Presently almost all my experience has been hiking in New Hampshire,
      Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia Canada using an
      11 lb (5 kg) day pack. I have backpacked on Mt. Washington and at
      the Imp shelter located between North Carter and Mount Moriah
      mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will be writing about has
      been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in New Hampshire. I
      have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers (1219 m) of New
      Hampshire. My day hikes have been as long as 12 hours covering almost
      20 miles (32 km).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Big Agnes
      Year of Manufacture: Fall 2006
      "http://www.bigagnes.com" LINK TEXT = "www.bigagnes.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 289
      Listed Weight: 4 lb 15 oz (2.24 kg)
      Measured Weight: 80 oz (2.27 kg)
      Size: Regular Fits up to 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)
      Zipper: Right (doubled ended full length)
      Accommodate pad: 20 in x 72 in x 3.5 in (51 cm x 178 cm x 8.9 cm)
      Rating: -15 F (-26.1 C)
      Material: 75% goose down 34 oz (964 gm) 25% polyester 11 oz (312 gm)
      Lining: 100% Nylon
      Shell: 100% Nylon

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Items were packed in clear plastic. Items appeared new and in
      perfect condition. The Big Agnes sleeping bag is beautiful to look
      at. The top part of the Big Agnes sleeping bag looks like a typical
      mummy bag. The end is rectangular and looks like there is a lot of
      space for the legs. The zipper is a 2 way that allows one to open
      the bottom as well as the top. The operation of zipper was smooth
      and did not get tangled in itself. The top part of the zipper has a
      Velcro latch to keep the zipper in place in the closed position.
      There are even cozies to fit around the neck to keep that part warm.
      The sleeping bag has a pouch under the bag to accommodate a pad. I
      used the Big Agnes Deluxe pad with Hinman air pad.
      The sleeping bag, foam pad and air pad can be integrated as a unit.
      This should eliminate the sliding pad problem.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Top of
      sleeping bag">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Bottom of
      sleeping bag">>

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instruction for installing the sleeping pad was clear and easy to
      follow. I used a Big Agnes Deluxe pad and Hinman air pad with the
      correct size for this sleeping bag. A picture shows a stick figure
      inserting the sleeping pad into the sleeping bag. After inflating
      the sleeping pad, kneel on the valve end of sleeping pad. Then I
      opened the Velcro latch located at the head of the sleeping bag and
      inserted the sleeping pad into the opening. I alternated applying
      pressure from right to left and with very little effort the pad slid
      almost completely into the sleeping bag. There was a smaller access
      hole at the foot of the sleeping bag which I used to pull the pad the
      remaining short distance. This pad fits in precisely, there is no
      extra space. There are a few notes on using the proper size pad for
      the sleeping bag. Big Agnes provides several choices that fit their
      sleeping bags.

      CARE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instructions say the bag should only be cleaned when absolutely
      necessary. Bag insulation is fragile and performance can be
      adversely affected if washed too often or incorrectly.
      A front loading washer and dryer should be used, preferably the
      oversize commercial ones. Water temperature should be kept below
      140 F (60 C). Detergents specially designed for sleeping bags should
      be used. Dry cleaning should not be used as it prevents the lofting
      of the insulation.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I will be testing the Battle Mountain sleeping with a Big Agnes
      Deluxe pad and Hinman air pad, which will be written up in a separate
      report. I tried out the sleeping pad and found it to be very
      comfortable. Now it was time to try the complete package. I placed
      the bag on the floor in a cool room 55 F (13.8 C). I un-zippered the
      bag and got in. The comfort was the best that I have ever
      experienced. Probably as good as or better than any regular beds I
      have slept in. Then there was this warm feeling that was not only on
      the top side of my body but on the bottom as well. There were no
      cold spots or hard places. The warmth I felt was like being at a
      distance from an outdoor fire where the temperature is the same all
      over. I found this feeling truly amazing. There was plenty of room
      to move my legs and draw one to my chest as I do often in a regular
      bed. I could do all the things I could not do in a typical mummy
      bag. The area around the upper part of the body was adequate but not
      as roomy as the leg area. This is indeed a well engineered product
      provides isolation from rough surfaces with the air pad and then the
      next layer with the foam providing comfort. The sleeping bag itself
      has down on the top part where there is very little compression and
      this keeps the down in a state to provide maximum warmth. The bottom
      had polyester and works better than down under compression. If there
      is perspiration it will most likely find itself at the bottom where
      the polyester is better able to handle moisture. This sleeping
      system could very well replace my bed.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "zipper
      Velcro latch">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "opening for
      pad">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "end opening
      for pad">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "pillow in
      pouch">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7" IMAGE CAPTION = "neck
      warmer">>

      TESTING STRATEGY

      The first tests will be at least 2 one night trips in a local
      forest. We have had nighttime lows of 0 F (-9.4 C). This will
      uncover possible problems. The next tests will be in a local forest
      East of Manchester New Hampshire. This is about 40 mi (64 km) North
      of my house and temperatures are typically about 10 degrees F (-18
      C) colder. The tests will then move to the National Forest in New
      Hampshire. I have spoken with a Park ranger and have 4 possible
      places for testing depending on the predicted overnight
      temperatures. Some of these places have had temperatures as low as -
      20 F (-11 C). These places are located in Grafton and Lincoln New
      Hampshire. The places I have picked are 1-4 miles (1.6-6.4 km) from
      a parking spot. If problems occur the test plan will be modified for
      safety reasons.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 8" IMAGE CAPTION = "packed to
      go">>

      SUMMARY

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
      this report in approximately two
      months from the date of this report. Please check back then for
      further information.

      My thanks to Big Agnes and Backpackgeartesters for the opportunity to
      test the Big Agnes Battle Mountain sleeping bag.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.