INITIAL REPORT - RAB Drillium Jacket - Curry

  • mrqcace
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
      Report follows:
      HTML here: http://tinyurl.com/324kxx

      RAB DRILLIUM JACKET

      Test series by Russell Curry
      RAB Logo
      copyrighted Logo from RAB website

      Initial Report - January 7, 2008

      Tester Biography:

      Name: Russell Curry
      Age: 60
      Height: 6'0" (1.83 m)
      Weight:: 182 lbs (83 kg)
      Chest: 42
      Neck: 17
      Email: mrqcace@...
      City, State, Country: Orange, Texas, USA

      Backpacking Background:

      My hiking experiences began while stationed near the German Alps in
      the Army in 1966. I have hiked in many countries across the world as
      well as most states in the US. I hike in all seasons, in temperatures
      as low as 5 F (-15 C) to as high as 110 F (43 C), in rain, shine and
      snow and from desert to forest to mountain. My pack weights vary from
      25 lbs (11 kg) to 10 lbs (5 kg). I frequently bike over road and
      mountain, and kayak and raft when possible.

      Product Identification & Technical Details:

      Item: RAB Drillium Jacket
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Website: www.rab.uk.com
      MSRP: Not indicated on web site
      Listed Weight: 350 g (12.3 oz)
      Weight as Received: 352 g (12.4 oz)
      Fabric: eVent® 3 layer storm fabric
      Colors: Amber, Black, Indigo

      Sizes: S - XXL
      Warranty: Repair or replace at manufacturers
      discretion
      Laundry: Frequent washing required. Machine
      wash using liquid detergent.
      Rinse twice, hang dry. Steam
      iron warm to rejuvenate water
      repellent finish. Do not use
      bleach or fabric softener. Do not dry
      clean.
      Tested Color & Size: Black, large size ordered based on the
      sizing charts on the RAB website, but I
      found the jacket to be more
      snug in the chest than what I am used
      to. My chest size does balloon
      somewhat, and I have had problems in the past
      with jacket and shirt fits.

      Product Description:

      The RAB Drillium Jacket is a short cut, lightweight, multi-sport
      jacket made from eVent® 3 layer fabric. It features a roll away wire
      peak hood, separate protective collar, water resistant front zip and
      internal storm flap, 2 outer self draining pockets, and 1 laminated
      inner pocket. The lightweight jacket has minimal pack size and
      maximum breathability, and has been designed to provide comfort and
      protection during summer mountain activities. The Drillium uses
      totally waterproof fabric to achieve maximum breathability even during
      strenuous exercise.

      Initial Observations:

      The jacket arrived with 3 hang tags, in a clear plastic bag. The hang
      tags cover details on the fabric, RAB quality assurance and warranty,
      and a tag indicating the features of the jacket. I must say the
      jacket reeks of quality design and fabrication. The seams are
      extremely tight, very fine stitching and finish. The two exterior
      pockets have reinforcement at the corners. Both exterior pockets have
      zippers, and even have a little pouch at the top for the zipper to
      slip into to seal them from the weather. The inside pocket is mesh
      with a zipper. There is a laundry tag sewn onto the inside mesh
      pocket. The exterior zippers are water resistant, with nylon pull
      tabs. The zippers are of the YKK variety. The sleeves are longer than
      normal and have hook and loop type ties. The tail extends longer in
      the back, and there are pull strings for the tail as well. The collar
      can be folded or will stand up. Inside the collar is a wired peak
      hood. It folds nicely into the collar when not needed. The pouch that
      contains the rolled up peak hood has hook and loop type closures. The
      wired peak hood contains 3 drawstrings, one on each side for closure
      and one at the rear to adjust the angle of the hood. The front zipper
      will zip entirely to the top of the collar.

      The black jacket is actually two colors, not evident on the RAB
      website. The main fabric is a dark charcoal, and the fabric at the
      sides and extending under the arms is a lighter charcoal.

      Sleeve end showing the ties
      End of the sleeves with the ties. The sleeves are longer and will
      actually completely cover my hands.

      Stand up Collar
      The stand up collar containing the wired peak hood. Notice that the
      zipper will zip all the way to the top of the collar, Great feature,
      zippers are well fabricated and smooth to operate.

      Jacket Tail and drawstrings
      The back of the jacket is cut longer than the front, and there are
      drawstrings on each side, (not evident in this photo)

      Inside Pocket on Jacket
      The inside pocket on the jacket, with the laundry tag. The pocket has
      a zipper as well.

      Wired peak hood outside of the collar
      This is the peak hood unrolled. It has 3 drawstrings. It rolls up and
      fits nicely into the collar.

      Drillim Jacket on RAB Website
      The jacket as it appears on the RAB website. Image courtesy of RAB.

      Field Use:

      I intend to use this shell a lot during the next several months,
      especially on my bike. It was designed with bike riding in mind, and I
      ride on average 60 to 80 miles (97 to 129 km) per week minimum. I
      will also be using it on a few shorter hikes with my outdoor clubs. I
      do not have any severe winter conditions in my area, so I expect to be
      wearing this shell for every activity outdoors over the next several
      months.

      Since the jacket is a little tight for my chest, I have not been able
      or willing yet to actually wear it during an outdoor activity. I
      notice on the features listed for the jacket that it lists the
      exterior pockets as being "self-draining". I have been unable to
      verify this, I see no openings in the bottoms of the pockets to allow
      water to escape, and since I may be returning this jacket for a larger
      size, I have not been able to fill the pockets with water to see if it
      weeps through the fabric. I will test this further if or when I get a
      larger size jacket.

      I am very impressed with the quality, design, fabrication, features
      and fabric of this jacket. I am excited about putting it to the test
      of a good long bike ride and for other strenuous outdoor activities.
      It appears to be extremely well made, loaded with features,
      lightweight and comfortable.

      Thanks to RAB and Backpackgeartest for this opportunity.

      Russell Curry
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
        EDIT: INITIAL REPORT - RAB Drillium Jacket - Curry

        Russell Curry,

        Here is your Official Edit of your Rab Drillium IR. Nice work. HTML
        looks good - *great* photos, very descriptive. Just one little
        thing, and you may upload when ready.

        Fuzzy
        Rab Drillium Monitor
        *********************
        My hiking experiences began while stationed near the German Alps in
        the Army in 1966.
        [Comment] My breathing experiences began while I was stationed in the
        bassinet next to my mommy's bed in 1966 – a good year, that one... ;-
        )

        My chest size does balloon somewhat, and I have had problems in the
        past with jacket and shirt fits.
        [Comment/Edit] I get the fitting problems part (I'm 5'8", 243#), but
        I don't quite grasp the `balloon' comment – could you clarify?
      • RonC
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
          Thanks for the edits. Since I am exchanging this
          jacket for the next larger size, Jason has indicated
          for me to wait until I get the new one to post my IR,
          at which time I intended to "update" this one to
          reflect new comments on the fit of the larger jacket.

          So should I wait then for the new jacket? Jason
          indicated I would be on a different schedule than the
          other two testers.

          Regards,

          Russ
          --- Fuzzy <chuck_kime@...> wrote:

          > EDIT: INITIAL REPORT - RAB Drillium Jacket - Curry
          >
          > Russell Curry,
          >
          > Here is your Official Edit of your Rab Drillium IR.
          > Nice work. HTML
          > looks good - *great* photos, very descriptive. Just
          > one little
          > thing, and you may upload when ready.
          >
          > Fuzzy
          > Rab Drillium Monitor
          > *********************
          > My hiking experiences began while stationed near the
          > German Alps in
          > the Army in 1966.
          > [Comment] My breathing experiences began while I was
          > stationed in the
          > bassinet next to my mommy's bed in 1966 – a good
          > year, that one... ;-
          > )
          >
          > My chest size does balloon somewhat, and I have had
          > problems in the
          > past with jacket and shirt fits.
          > [Comment/Edit] I get the fitting problems part (I'm
          > 5'8", 243#), but
          > I don't quite grasp the `balloon' comment – could
          > you clarify?

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Jason Boyle
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
            Yes you should wait until the new jacket arrives. Sorry I didn't
            copy you on the emails Fuzzy, there wasn't a monitor assigned until
            this weekend.

            Jason B
            Test Mod

            ______________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Boyle" <c4jc88@...>
              wrote:

              > Yes you should wait until the new jacket arrives. Sorry I didn't
              > copy you on the emails Fuzzy, there wasn't a monitor assigned until
              > this weekend.

              Jason,

              No sweat. I will watch the list.

              Fuzzy
            • mrqcace
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
                Enclosed herewith is my IR on the RAB Jacket. Easier viewing and pics
                can be found here:

                http://tinyurl.com/324kxx

                RAB DRILLIUM JACKET

                Test series by Russell Curry
                RAB Logo
                copyrighted Logo from RAB website

                Initial Report - February 3, 2008

                Tester Biography:

                Name: Russell Curry
                Age: 60
                Height: 6'0" (1.83 m)
                Weight:: 182 lbs (83 kg)
                Chest: 43

                Website: http://www.rab.uk.com/
                MSRP: Not indicated on web site
                Listed Weight: 350 g (12.3 oz)
                Weight as Received: 352 g (12.4 oz)
                Fabric: eVent® 3 layer storm fabric
                Colors: Amber, Black, Indigo

                Sizes: S - XXL
                Warranty: Repair or replace at manufacturers
                discretion
                Laundry: Frequent washing required. Machine
                wash using liquid detergent.
                Rinse twice, hang dry. Steam
                iron warm to rejuvenate water
                repellent finish. Do not use
                bleach or fabric softener. Do not dry
                clean.
                Tested Color & Size: Black, large size ordered based on the
                sizing charts on the RAB website, but I
                found the jacket to be more
                snug in the chest than what I am used
                to. My chest inflates quite a
                bit when exercising, and I have had problems in the past
                with jacket and shirt fits.
                The jacket was exchanged for an XL size that fits me much better.

                Product Description:

                The RAB Drillium Jacket is a short cut, lightweight, multi-sport
                jacket made from eVent® 3 layer fabric. It features a roll away wire
                peak hood, separate protective collar, water resistant front zip and
                internal storm flap, 2 outer self draining pockets, and 1 laminated
                inner pocket. The lightweight jacket has minimal pack size and
                maximum breathability, and has been designed to provide comfort and
                protection during summer mountain activities. The Drillium uses
                totally waterproof fabric to achieve maximum breathability even during
                strenuous exercise.

                INITIAL REPORT

[...]

                Based on the chart sizes on the RAB website, I initially ordered a
                large size. However, once I received the jacket, I found it a bit
                restrictive across my chest, especially if I were to have a cycling
                jersey on. I suspect that the problem is that while my chest measures
                for the large size, my lung capacity has increased from a lot of
                activity, especially bike riding. When I bike, hike or exercise, I
                breathe deeply and my chest expands a bit more than normal. I am not
                that muscular, and I have had this problem with other clothing once in
                a great while. I was able to send the jacket back and get the extra
                large size, which is a much better fit, and it allows me to easily
                wear my cycling jacket under the shell.

                Likes:

                I am very impressed with the quality, design, fabrication, features
                and fabric of this jacket. I am excited about putting it to the test
                of a good long bike ride and for other strenuous outdoor activities.
                It appears to be extremely well made, loaded with features,
                lightweight and comfortable.

                Dislikes: None at this time.

                Thanks to RAB and Backpackgeartest for this opportunity.

                Russell Curry
              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
                  EDIT: INITIAL REPORT - RAB Drillium Jacket - Curry

                  Russel,

                  Here is your official edit. I apologize for the delay. I was, in fact, OOP
                  and since my return on Sunday, I have been seriously ill.

                  In looking at your HTML, I have to note that your report exceeds the
                  recomended width at 1024 resolution, this is because on of your images
                  exceeds the maximum width of 800 pixels. You should try to resolve that
                  before uploading.

                  Edits follow.

                  Thanks!

                  Shane

                  ***

                  > The hang tags cover details on the fabric, RAB quality

                  EDIT: Extraneous space after comma.

                  > The seams are extremely tight, very fine stitching and finish.

                  EDIT: Sentence fragment.

                  > Both exterior pockets have zippers, and even have a little
                  > pouch at the top for the zipper to slip into to seal them from
                  > the weather.

                  Comment: Do you mean to say for the slider to slip into?

                  > The zippers are of the YKK variety.

                  Edit: YKK is the brand. The type of zipper is 'water resistant coil'.

                  General comment: This is a good IR. I will be interested to see the
                  performance of the jacket under your test conditions.