TED Rab Drillium IR

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Mt Drillium IR is at

      http://tinyurl.com/yqo7el

      Text follows. Thanks!

      Ted.

      RAB DRILLIUM JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY EDWARD RIPLEY-DUGGAN
      INITIAL REPORT
      January 5, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Edward Ripley-Duggan
      EMAIL: erd@...
      AGE: 54
      LOCATION: Catskills, New York State
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 215 lb (97.50 kg)
      I enjoy walking in all its forms, from a simple stroll in the woods to
      multi-day backpack excursions. Though by no means an extreme
      ultra-light enthusiast, from spring to fall my preference is to carry
      a pack weight (before food and water) of 12 lb (5.5 kg), more or less.
      In recent years, I've rapidly moved to a philosophy of "lighter is
      better," within the constraints of budget and common sense.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Rab (Equip Outdoor Technologies Ltd.)
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.rab.uk.com/
      MSRP: Not stated on website
      Listed Weight: 12.3 oz (350 g) [size weighed not stated]
      Measured Weight: 13 oz (368 g)
      Fabric: Three-layer lighweight eVENT, ripstop
      Available colors: Amber, Black, Indigo
      Available sizes: S-XXL
      Tested size and color: XL, Indigo

      The Rab Drillium jacket

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      I safely received the Rab Drillium jacket. It was packaged in a clear
      plastic garment bag, and had three hang tags attached. One of these
      tags advertises the eVENT fabric itself; another provides the basic
      specs for the Drillium jacket; a third describes the Neutrino range of
      clothing to which the jacket belongs, and provides guarantee
      information. This last is pretty much industry-standard
      repair/replacement boilerplate coverage for failure in workmanship or
      materials.

      I carefully inspected the jacket once I'd unpacked it. The quality of
      stitching is excellent, with a high stitch count and very neat sewing
      and finishing. All seams are taped, and the taping is reinforced at
      high-stress areas, especially the interior corners of the exterior
      pockets. There are no raw selvages on the inside of the jacket, and
      indeed my immediate impression was of impeccable quality of construction.

      The jacket's eVENT fabric is in two colors, a feature not visible on
      the Rab website's image of the jacket. The side panels, extending up
      the sleeves are graphite colored. All of the exterior zippers are
      water resistant YKK brand, and these have neat nylon tabs attached to
      the zipper pulls with cord. The front of the garment bears the Rab
      Neutrino logo, and the right arm has the embroidered logo of the eVENT
      fabric from which it is constructed. The jacket is described as
      "providing comfort and protection during summer mountain activities"
      on the hang tag (of course, summer mountain activities doesn't rule
      out cold and snow, depending on where the mountains are)! Both the
      website and the descriptive tag note that the jacket has a roll away
      wire peak hood, a separate protective collar, water resistant front
      zip and internal storm flap, and two outer self draining pockets (plus
      a laminated inner pocket). More on these presently.

      eVENT (now manufactured by G.E.) is explicitly described as highly
      breathable. Indeed, the motto used on the eVENT tag is "let the sweat
      out," a pretty basic (if somewhat charmless) statement of the fabric's
      function. I hope it performs as billed, as I run very hot when engaged
      in aerobic activities, and have to be very careful not to soak out. As
      a result, superior breathability in jacket fabrics is very important
      to me. I intend to wear this as a general shell for winter activities
      over the test period, in conjunction with various layers for warmth as
      and when needed. I'm not intending to wear the jacket in extreme
      winter conditions, since this falls outside the parameters for which
      it is designed.

      The fit of the XL size I requested suits me well. I'm generally a US
      size 46 in jackets, a bit on the stocky side, although I'm slightly
      narrow in the shoulders. The jacket is neither too loose or
      restrictive, and I have already confirmed that there's room for a warm
      layer underneath, provided it is not too bulky. A MontBell Alpine
      Light down jacket works well for this purpose, without any sense of
      constriction. The same (or something heavier) fits equally well over
      the Rab Drillium, providing versatility.
      Hood
      Hood extracted from collar

      The high collar is comfortable, not at all tight in fit. The hood is
      concealed within. This is of excellent construction. It is folded into
      the collar compartment and is kept out of the way with several strips
      of hook-and-loop fastener, which seal the collar closed when the hood
      is not in use. When it is deployed, the hood is controlled by a left
      and right drawstring, each with a spring-loaded toggle, as well as
      another drawstring at the back (also with a toggle) to control the
      angle of the hood. The result, on a preliminary basis, is a good snug
      fit with ample visibility. There is enough room in the hood for a
      helmet (climbing or bike).

      All the zips move smoothly at room temperature. I'll be interested to
      see how they do in the cold, as this type can sometimes stiffen in
      chilly conditions. The exterior pockets (positioned quite high. almost
      Napoleon-style) are spacious, and the garment is intended to be stowed
      in them (there is no separate stuff sack). The interior pocket, made
      of a light mesh, has a simple vertical security zipper, and will
      easily fit a fuel canister, food bars, a pair of gloves, or what-have-you.

      The jacket is cut to be longer in the rear, with a dropped tail or
      "bum-warmer," and there's a waist drawstring controlled with two
      toggles. The sleeves can be sealed tight around the zip with a
      nylon-backed hook-and-loop fastener strip, kept in place by a smaller
      patch of female fastener when not in use. The main zip has a patch of
      soft fabric to insulate it from my bare neck. All said and done, this
      is a jacket with lots of interesting features to test!

      Laundry Instructions
      The instructions for cleaning are on a tag sewn on the interior
      pocket. Frequent machine washing is suggested, using warm water and
      liquid detergent, followed by a double rinse. The jacket should be
      hung dry. One slightly atypical recommendation is that the jacket be
      steam ironed on a warm setting to rejuvenate the waterproof setting.
      The recommendation of ironing is not in itself unusual, but I can't
      recall that I have seen steam ironing specified before.

      SUMMARY
      I look forward very much to testing this jacket in the coming four
      months. I'm initially impressed by the features, which show
      considerable thought. The aspect that I will be examining more closely
      than any other is how well the eVENT fabric works when the jacket's
      worn during periods of intense activity. I'll be using it for
      cross-country skiing as well as for hiking and backpacking. My field
      report will be due two months from this initial report, and a final
      long-term report will be posted after four months. My thanks to Rab
      (Equip Outdoor Technologies Ltd.) and BackpackGearTest for the
      opportunity to test the Drillium jacket.

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer
      Version 1. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        EDIT: TED Rab Drillium IR

        Ted,

        Here is your official edit of your Rab Drillium Jacket IR. HTML
        looks good, as always. Just a few nits and you may upload when
        ready. Nice working with you again...

        Fuzzy
        Rab Drillium Monitor
        ************************
        Mt Drillium IR is at
        [EDIT] My, not Mt ;-)

        PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

        Listed Weight: 12.3 oz (350 g) [size weighed not stated]
        [Nit] I had to reread this a couple times, but I get it. In
        situations like this (I assume that the weight listed is for a
        Medium – or perhaps a Large) *I* state such here, i.e.
        "Listed weight (Size M): 12.3oz". Your call...

        Indeed, the motto used on the eVENT tag is "let the sweat out," a
        pretty basic (if somewhat charmless) statement of the fabric's
        function.
        [Comment] I can always count on you to use words nobody else would in
        a report – `charmless', indeed...

        The jacket is neither too loose or restrictive, and I have already
        confirmed that there's room for a warm layer underneath, provided it
        is not too bulky.
        [Nit] either-or ... neither-nor
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008