POST: Ibex Woolies Zip T-Neck IR - Pam Wyant

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2007
      HTML version here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Ibex%20Woolies%
      20IR%20-%20Pam/

      OR: http://tinyurl.com/2jk7dg

      Ibex Woolies Zip T-Neck Baselayer Top

      Initial Report - December 2007

      Tester Information:

      Name: Pam Wyant
      Age: 50
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (77 kg)

      Bust: 40 in (102 cm)
      Waist: 35 in (89 cm)
      Sleeve: 32 in (81 cm)

      E-mail address:
      pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Location:
      Western West Virginia, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:
      Pursuing a long-time interest, I started backpacking four years ago,
      beginning with day-hiking and single overnights. Currently I'm
      mostly a `weekend warrior', hiking and backpacking mainly in the
      hills and valleys of West Virginia, but have started a project to
      section hike the Appalachian Trail (AT), accruing a little over 200
      mi (300 km) in the last two years. My usual shelter is a hammock,
      but occasionally I use a tent. In general my backpacking style is
      lightweight and minimalist and I try to cut as much pack weight as I
      can without sacrificing warmth, comfort, or safety.

      Photo-Wearing the Woolies Zip T-Neck

      Initial Report - December 2007

      Photo - Neck detail

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Ibex
      Year of manufacture: 2007
      Model: Woolies Zip T-Neck

      Size tested: Women's X-Large
      Color tested: Soft Brown

      Advertised weight: 5.3 oz (150 g), size not specified
      Actual Weight: 6.1 oz (173 g), size XL

      Website: www.ibex.com

      MSRP: $65.00

      Product Description:

      Photo - Cuff detail

      The Woolies Zip T-Neck is a lightweight stetchy ribknit 100% Merino
      wool baselayer top, listed by Ibex as being 'superfine 18.5 micron
      New Zealand Merino'. The 2 1/2 in (6.5 cm) high collar is a standup
      mock turtle neck style, with a double layer of fabric forming the
      collar. An 8 in (20 cm) zipper allows ventilation options as well as
      making it easy to pull the top on and off. The fabric is thin enough
      that I can see through it when I hold it up to the light, yet heavy
      enough not to appear 'see thru' when I put it on.

      The top is constructed with flatlock style seams, which allow the
      stitching to show on both the inside and outside, but result in a
      seam that is smooth on the inside as well as the outside. The
      shoulder areas have a gussetted panel which tapers from about 3 in
      (7.5 cm) wide at the neck to about 6 in (15 cm) wide at the sleeve.
      This allows a good fit in the shoulder area and eliminates seams on
      top of the shoulder where they could irritate the skin when wearing a
      pack. The cuffs are a double layer of fabric extending up the sleeve
      about 3.5 in (7.5 cm). The shirt is otherwise simply constructed with
      a single seam at each side, and a single seam on the underside of the
      sleeves.

      Photo - Shoulder detail

      The sleeves measure about 27 in (69 cm) from the top of the shoulder
      to the bottom of the cuff. The back of the shirt measures about 24
      in (61 cm) from the bottom of the collar to the hem. The shirt
      measures about 38 in (94 cm) around the bottom of the hem. A 1/2 x
      3/4 in (1 x 2 cm) off white tag on the bottom right side of the hem
      features the Ibex logo in dark purple. The tag continues onto the
      reverse side of the hem where it proclaims "It Just Feels Right."
      The neck has 'tag-free' labeling, with the manfacturer logo, name,
      size, country of manufacture (Fiji), and laundering instructions
      printed in creamy white directly on the fabric. The instructions are
      written in English only, and state to machine wash gentle in cold
      water with like colors, using a mild deteregent, and caution not to
      use bleach, to lay flat to dry, and use a cool iron if necessary.
      The typical international cleaning symbols are located under the
      written instructions, as well as the website URL of www.ibex.com.

      Fit and preliminary impressions:
      I could pretty well cover this with two words - "I like".

      Photo - Inside zipper detail

      To be more detailed, the top fits very well, skimming my torso
      without feeling tight or binding. It fits somewhat more generously
      than what I would have expected from the website photo, with the
      sleeve and hem both being longer on me than they appear on the
      model. (Of course, that might be because the model is considerably
      thinner than me and undoubtedly is wearing a smaller size!) The
      sleeves are on the long side, but not overly so, and I enjoy them
      that way on cool weather base layers to keep my wrists and the tops
      of my hands warmer. I can push the sleeves up on my arm, comfortably
      stopping at 'three quarter' length without the cuffs feeling too
      tight. Although I can force them up over my elbows, at that point
      the cuffs become uncomfortably tight.

      The bottom of the hem is hip-length, hitting just below my tailbone
      in the back. It's comfortably long enough to stay put even when I
      raise my arms.

      On the packaging the top comes in the following statement is
      made: "The lower the microns the finer the wool. Our award-winning,
      guide-approved Woolies are 18.5 micron Merio for unmatched softness.
      The ribbed knit offers a forgiving form-fit that moves with you and
      keeps it shape." So far, I pretty much agree with the statement.
      The top does feel very soft. I noticed a slight prickle when I first
      put it on, but within a minute or so, it just feels incredibly soft
      and cozy. When I stretch and move about, the fabric stays snug yet
      does not bind or inhibit my motions. Nice!

      The garment appears to be well constructed for the most part, with
      even stitching and no visible fabric flaws. The only irregularity I
      found was that the fabric on the inside of the zippered opening has a
      couple of areas that don't lay flat, having a slight wrinkled look.
      This does not appear to affect performance in any way.

      More to come:

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in late February
      for field testing results.

      Thanks to Ibex and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test
      the Woolies Zip T-Neck baselayer top.
    • tcoug7
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Pam,

        Happy New Year! I hope your holiday time is going well. Very nice
        job on your report. Your HTML looks fine too. I found a couple of
        edits, nothing big.

        Tim

        Initial Report - December 2007

        ##edit: I'm pretty sure you want a more specific date here Pam,
        like December 20, 2007

        The Woolies Zip T-Neck is a lightweight stetchy

        ##edit: stretchy

        Ribknit

        ##Comment: my spell checker has it as "rib knit"; your call.

        The top is constructed with flatlock style seams, which allow the
        stitching to show on both the inside and outside, but result in a
        seam that is smooth on the inside as well as the outside. The
        shoulder areas have a gussetted

        ##edit: gusseted

[...]

        ##edit: manufacturer

        logo, name,
        size, country of manufacture (Fiji), and laundering instructions
        printed in creamy white directly on the fabric. The instructions are
        written in English only, and state to machine wash gentle in cold
        water with like colors, using a mild deteregent,

        ##edit: detergent

        and caution not to
        use bleach, to lay flat to dry, and use a cool iron if necessary.
        The typical international cleaning symbols are located under the
        written instructions, as well as the website URL of www.ibex.com.

        On the packaging the top comes in the following statement is
        made: "The lower the microns the finer the wool. Our award-winning,
        guide-approved Woolies are 18.5 micron Merio

        ##edit: Merino
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          Thanks for the edits Tim. All made, except the date. It's acceptable
          to have only the month and year, and I've went to using that since it
          seems more reflective of the overall report date (i.e. should it be the
          date written, posted, approved, uploaded, etc.?) It's simpler just to
          use the month and just as relevant to the reader.

          Sorry about the spelling errors. I forgot to spell check before
          posting!

          Pam