IR - Sigg 1 L Traveler Bottle - Coy Boy

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2007
      I wanted this in before going OOP the next few days. I rushed but did
      spell check... I am considering making the top photo smaller as it
      seems to dominate the opening. All coments and edits welcome. I
      should be back sometime Friday to upload. Enjoy!

      http://tinyurl.com/3y7am2

      SIGG RED TRAVELER 1.0L
      Classic Water Bottle
      Test Report Series by Coy Starnes
      Initial Report: December 18, 2007

      Image on right

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 45
      Weight: 238 lb (108 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      E-Mail: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama, USA

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy biking, hunting, fishing,
      canoeing, and most other outdoor activities but backpacking is my
      favorite pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I
      hike throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid
      months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light.
      However, I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A
      typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food
      or water.

      Product Information
      Item: SIGG RED TRAVELER 1.0L
      Manufacturer: Sigg
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Capacity: 1 L (33 oz)
      Listed Weight: 5.2 oz (147 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.1 oz (145 g)
      Color: Red
      MSRP: 19.99 USD

      Product Description
      The Sigg Red Traveler 1 L(33 oz) is made from a single extruded piece
      of aluminum. It is designed to hold a veriety of liquids and is not
      supposed to impart any taste or leach any aluminum. The "secret"
      liner is "FDA approved and independently tested to be taste and scent
      inert and resistant to any leaching (0.0%) so 100% safe." My 1 L (33
      oz) bottle is the middle size with 0.6 L (20 oz) and 1.5 L (50 oz)
      also available. The 1 L (33 oz) Traveler measures 10.25 in (26 cm)
      tall with a diameter of 3.25 in (8 cm) and an outside circumference
      of approximately 10 in (25 cm).

      Initial Impression
      The Traveler arrived exactly as depicted on the Sigg website. It
      reminds me a lot of liquid fuel bottles I am familiar with. I was
      expecting it to be light weight but it is still surprisingly light
      when picked up empty. The cap screws off and back on easily. I like
      it. Below is the 1 L (33 oz) Traveler, flanked by a 0.6 L (20 oz)
      Traveler and a 2 L (68 oz) Coca-Cola.

      Instructions
      I never knew something so simple could have such detailed
      instructions. The instructions are glued on the bottom of the bottle
      but folds out to reveal the instructions in no less than 12
      languages. Unfortunately, I tore the English part when removing
      them. Added to this, I could not even read the instructions with my
      reading glasses so I got my daughter to read them off to me.
      Therefore, if their are any errors here it is her fault... "Wash the
      bottle before use. Suitable for fruit juice and isotonic drinks.
      When using carbonated drinks avoid unnecessary shaking and take care
      when opening. Caution, Alcoholic, fermented or nutrient rich
      beverages may cause excessive pressure to build up inside the
      bottle. Do not use for long term storage. Contents should be
      consumed relatively rapidly. Fill bottle to no more then 3 cm (1 1/4
      in) below the rim. Do not use for non drinkable substances ex liquid
      fuels or other flammables, corrosive or chemical substances. Not
      suitable for the microwave (risk of explosion) for cooking or deep
      freezing. Bottle can be placed in the refrigerator. Children should
      only be allowed to drink from bottle with a drinking cap. Always
      check that the drinking cap is firmly in place. Take care when using
      with hot drinks (risk of burning)."

      I found the cleaning directions printed on the instructions card but
      also online. The online version says; "Rinsing your SIGG thoroughly
      under the faucet with warm, soapy water at the end of every day and
      letting it air dry with the top off provides sufficient cleaning in
      most cases. When more thorough cleaning is required, you can use
      baking soda and vinegar. For tough jobs, pick up some SIGG cleaning
      tablets and a SIGG brush. Do not use a hard bristled brush to clean
      the interior of your SIGG bottle as this may damage the liner."

      Future Testing
      I have already carried the bottle on my bike in my MountainSmith Day,
      albeit, empty, for the official weigh in at my local post office.
      However, I plan to use it regularly in the same pack both on my bike
      and while hiking. I will use it for a variety of beverages and see
      how well the "secret" liner keeps the drink form one use form
      affecting the taste of the next drink. I will carry water, tea,
      coffee and perhaps some fruit juice depending on my mood. I expect
      to carry coffee on colder hikes or rides and am wondering how long it
      will remain hot due to the fact that the bottle is not insulated. I
      will report back on all my uses and any issues that may arise like
      keeping up with the stopper.

      Anticipated Testing Locations and Conditions
      I will be making several short overnight hikes and a few longer hikes
      over the next 4 months. I will be testing in the southeastern US with
      trips into the local mountains of Tennessee, Georgia, and North
      Carolina. However, most testing would be done in Northeast Alabama
      and much of that will be on my bike. Elevations will generally be
      less than 4000 ft (1219 m).

      Winters in the southeastern US are generally mild, with some short
      stints of very cold weather. I generally see some rain while
      backpacking, often in the form of sleet and ice in the winter.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately
      2 months for my Field Report to see how the Traveler 1 L (33 oz) is
      doing. I would also like to thank BackpackGearTest and Sigg for
      letting me test this bottle.
    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2008
        OK, the holidays are over! hooray!

        Coy, here we go. nice report, a few small edits. IMHO, you should
        reduce the size of the initial picture of the bottle. it does tend to
        dominate the screen.

        > of aluminum. It is designed to hold a veriety of liquids and is not
        > supposed to impart any taste or leach any aluminum. The "secret"

        edit: "a variety of liquids..."

        > reading glasses so I got my daughter to read them off to me.
        > Therefore, if their are any errors here it is her fault.

        edit: "if there are any errors..."

        Children should
        > only be allowed to drink from bottle with a drinking cap. Always
        > check that the drinking cap is firmly in place.

        comment: is a drinking cap included or is that an accessory that must
        be purchased separately? you might mention the answer in the report.

        > I have already carried the bottle on my bike in my MountainSmith Day,
        > albeit, empty, for the official weigh in at my local post office.

        edit: "Day, albeit empty, for the..."

        > how well the "secret" liner keeps the drink form one use form
        > affecting the taste of the next drink. I will carry water, tea,

        edit: "the drink from one use from affecting..."

        > coffee and perhaps some fruit juice depending on my mood. I expect
        > to carry coffee on colder hikes or rides and am wondering how long it
        > will remain hot due to the fact that the bottle is not insulated.

        comment: based on my experience with aluminum bottles, the temperature
        of your drinks will rapidly change to the air temperature.

        that's it! thanks for your good work. fix and upload when ready.