Re: [backpackgeartesters] RE: SMith Optics selections

  • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2005
      Nope, not yet. I went OOP this past weekend to play in the snow and haven't
      finalized the choices yet.

      Quoting Scott Downard <rookthepagan@...>:

      > I'm not trying to be anxious, but I was wondering if the selections
      > for the Smith Optics Sunglasses have been made. I have been having
      > trouble with my computer and email accounts and have inadvertently
      > erased some messages. I I just wanted to make sure that I didn't
      > miss the notifications.
      >
      > Scott Downard

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Pascal Deschenes
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2005
        Here is my application to test the Kahtoola KTS Steel crampons.

        My specific requirements for this application are as follow:

        Size: Medium

        I have read and understood the latest version of the Survival Guide (V.
        1202) and will fully comply with all the requirements. A copy of my
        tester agreement is on file.

        Personal Biographical Information
        Name Pascal Desch�nes
        Age 30 years old
        Gender Male
        Height 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
        Weight 88 kg (195 lb)
        Shoe Size 10 1/2 US
        Email pasde at yahoo dot com
        City, State, Country Montreal, Quebec, Canada

        Background
        Long since I was young, I've always been an outdoor enthusiast: sea or
        white river kayaking, rock climbing, long and short distance hiking,
        classic and backcountry skiing, mountain biking.
        I can describe myself as being a hiker with a paradoxical style. On one
        side I tend toward fast tracking while on the other I halt frequently,
        gazing at various points of interest, fauna and flora. I'm also geared
        toward lightweight backpacking but wouldn't let my solo percolator
        home.
        Testing Location and Weather

        I�ll be testing mostly in Western Quebec with peregrinations into my
        near-by national parks and reserves. However, I plan going on peak
        bagging this spring in the Adirondack�s High Peak Region. During winter
        trips, the expected temperature will be ranging from -20 C (-4 F) to 0
        C (32 F) with lots of snow while during spring outings the temperature
        gets milder but lots of snow remains along with icy terrains.

        Test Plan

        I plan to test these crampons in various terrains and conditions. Much
        of my test will involves backpacking, or day hiking. However, I do not
        intend to be involved in any mountaineering activities. I definitely
        think that I am one of the few hikers having access to the condition
        where I would get the most six month use out of those crampons. Indeed,
        crampons are especially a must have during the late winter/spring
        season in the Lanrentiens, the White Mountains, or the Adirondack High
        Peaks Region, where trail conditions alternate between packed snow, ice
        and icy crust.

        Please note that since the testing duration is subject to some time
        constrains, it may be required to have several outing in a shorter time
        period, which may in the end impact the overall test results.

        Here is a list of several criteria that I will pay special attention
        while testing this product:

        � Efficiency
        Obviously, I am interested in the efficiency of these crampons. More
        specifically, how effective are the front teeth (with there 15 degrees
        angle design). Are the points long enough to hike securely on thick and
        icy crust? What would be their effectiveness while hiking downhill v.
        uphill? What kind of steepness such crampons can handle properly and
        securely?

        � Construction
        There must be a good reason for Kahtoola having preferred the steel
        construction over the aluminum one and I would like find out such
        reasons. Is the steel alloy subject to corrosion? Are the plastic parts
        resistant to cold temperature? Is the bar between the toe and heel
        section offering enough flexibility while trail running? Are the
        bendable double-welded side straps subject to any failure in the long
        term? Are the straps really �Water/Freeze resistant�?

        � Ergonomic Details
        My number one concern using crampons is stability. How stable are these
        while wearing different types of footwear (lightweight or heavy duty
        hiking boots and trail running shoes)? Would wearing such different
        types of footwear also have an impact on the comfort? To which degree I
        would be aware of wearing these while hiking? Do the heel section�s
        straps provide blister-free support while wearing below-ankle shoes?
        Can such crampons be put easily on while wearing gloves?

        Pending Applications:
        Scarpa ZG 65 GTX boot
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/65098)
        Smith Axis Interchangeable Series Sunglasses
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/65097)

        Currently Testing:

        Granite Gear Winterizer (IR on its way)
        Ibex Approach Tights (yet to be received)

        Owner Reviews

        WrightSock Double Layer CoolMax Running Socks
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/WrightSock%20Double%20Layer%20Running%20Socks/Owner%20Review%20by%20Pascal%20Deschenes/

        http://tinyurl.com/6md2h

        PETZL Tikka Plus LED Headlamp
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Petzl%20Tikka%20Plus/Owner%20Review%20by%20Pascal%20Deschenes/Owner%20Review%20by%20Pascal%20Deschenes/

        http://tinyurl.com/63bx6

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Scott Downard
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
          Ok. I'm in the process of going through the postings from the Yahoo site to catch up and see what I missed.

          Scott Downard

          Quoting Scott Downard <rookthepagan@...<mailto:rookthepagan@...>>:

          > I'm not trying to be anxious, but I was wondering if the selections
          > for the Smith Optics Sunglasses have been made. I have been having
          > trouble with my computer and email accounts and have inadvertently
          > erased some messages. I I just wanted to make sure that I didn't
          > miss the notifications.
          >
          > Scott Downard

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290ofr15/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1109117442/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ik2ob2n/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1109031042216337>
          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290ofr15/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1109117442/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ik2ob2n/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1109031042216337>