application to test FUEL headlamp Mike Daurio jr.

  • mikejr232323
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      APPLICATION to Test: Princeton Tec Fuel Headlamp

      MIKE J. DAURIO JR.

      Date: 12/02/07

      I have read The BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, the appendices,
      and the Survival Guide.
      My tester agreement is on file. I agree to comply with requirements
      as outlined in the Bylaws.

      Biographical Information
      Name: Mike J. Daurio Jr.
      Age: 30
      Gender: M
      Height: 6' 0"
      Weight: 185 lb
      Email Address: MIKEJR232323 AT aol DOT com
      Location: WONDER LAKE IL USA

      Backpacking background: I've been camping as long as I can
      remember. My backpacking experience is quite new. I lead a wilderness
      canoe
      trip to the Ozark national scenic waterways every year. We canoe up
      to 60 miles of the Current River and do day hikes about every other
      day. This year we completed a 20 mi section of the Ozark trail when
      finished canoeing. We will be returning this year. I also spend time
      in Voyageurs National Park every year as my fiancée's family owns a
      home on Lake Kabetogama. We spend about a week canoeing and
      exploring the islands. This year we completed a 2-day adventure
      on the Locator lake trail and another two day trip to Cruiser Lake.
      My spring and summer are also filled with many day hikes and small
      camping trips to the many state parks in Illinois and Wisconsin. My
      favorite being Kettle Moraine State park in Wisconsin.
      In October of 2005 I backpacked Thailand for 10 days. This was the
      start of my love for backpacking and carrying all my supplies on my
      back.
      My pack varies in size due to the nature of the trip. They range
      from a larger camelback style on dayhikes, to an Ultra Light pack that
      can hold a weeks worth of clothes and supplies. I am mostly a
      spring, summer and fall backpacker.

      TEST PLAN:

      I have two overnight trips planned in the cold. I am
      inexperienced in the cold weather camping category but figure I must
      try it if I ever want to upgrade to mountain trips. I will be
      spending the night on a 34 mile (55 km) trip to Kettle Moraine State
      Park in Wisconsin. I have just added, to my itinerary, a long
      weekend trip where I will travel back up to Lake Kabetogama In
      Minnesota for my future brother in-law's birthday. I do have a few
      day hikes planned for Menominee and Nicolet National forests. If
      awarded the opportunity to test the pack It will get a tremendous
      amount of use. In addition to the planned trips I will be using the
      pack to assist me in geocaching which I do 3-5 times per month, a
      potential Utah snowboarding adventure and if not a guaranteed upper
      Michigan weekend of snowboarding, and numerous day hikes in the 7
      conservation areas and state parks in my town and my neighboring
      town. I am planning a trip to Peru. I am trying to work out the
      finances and scheduling for this trip. It is possible the lamp
      would make it Peru depending on the test schedule.
      Temperatures in the Chicago land area can get down below 0 degrees
      F (-18 C). I am hoping to test the pack and plan my trips in
      temperatures between 30-40 degrees F (-1-5 C). Terrain will consist
      of dense boreal forests and glacial formed hills covered in meadow
      grasses. Although Chicago's snowfall in unpredictable the pack
      should see snow on the trail and guaranteed snow on the slopes.
      If I could make it to Peru the temperature could be between 50-90
      degrees F (10-32 C) and terrain would be rocky mountainous regions.
      I use a headlamp every night around camp, to work on things around
      my house, and to read while my fiancee sleeps.

      I plan to test the lamp simply around function.
      Does the lamp have adequate padding against the hard plastic contact
      with my skull? My lamp gets uncomfortable when reading too long.
      Does it do a better job. I'd like to see how true the 160 hour
      rating is. I'd plan to turn it on and leave it sit for 6+ days to
      see if this is true?
      Is the light easy to turn on , adjust, and easy to change light
      settings?
      Does the light do a good job of lighting up an area or is it too much
      of a spotlight?
      Are there any dark spots when illuminating text on a paper in the
      dark?
      Is the band easy to adjust?
      How well doe the emergency mode work?
      I will comment heavily on the weight of the lamp. I am impressed by
      the lumen rating and burn time of the lamp. It seems tremendous for
      the weight!

      I have been selected for the Go Lite Echo jacket and the Clif Shot
      products (both awaiting shipment). If awarded the opportunity it
      wouldn't interfere with the testing of the pack.
      I have also completed six owner reviews and am working on one more.
      My stuff is found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/YODAURIO
      Thank you for your consideration. If awarded the
      opportunity to test
      the lamp I ensure the report to be accurate and thorough.

      Mike J. Daurio