LTR Katadyn Camp Filter Mike J Daurio Jr.

  • mikejr232323
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      http://tinyurl.com/2t7ply

      KATADYN BACKCOUNTRY SERIES CAMP WATER
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE DAURIO JR.
      LTR
      December 02, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Daurio Jr.
      EMAIL: mikejr232323@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Wonder Lake, Illinois USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 183 lb (83.00 kg)

      I am quite new to backpacking. My experience lies mostly as a canoe
      guide. My inspiration to get more into this sport/hobby was a
      backpack trip to Thailand in 2005. Due to my experience I am fond of
      lightweight, waterproof quality gear. I backpack in mainly hilly
      forested areas and of course near rivers and streams. I also do a
      lot of backpack traveling to other countries. I am a 3-season
      backpacker. Every year I spend time in the Ozarks in Missouri and in
      Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota. I'd love to explore
      Canyonlands National Park in Utah.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Katadyn Products AG
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      "http://WWW.KATADYN.COM" LINK TEXT = "WWW.KATADYN.COM">>
      MSRP: N/A
      Listed Weight: 13 oz (369 g)
      Measured Weight: 13.5 oz ( 383 g)
      Size: 6 in x 4 in x 4 in (15 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm)
      Hose length: 48 in (120 cm)

      Other details:
      The description and specifications as taken from the manufacturer's
      packaging:

      Filter technology: .3 micron pleated glass fiber removes bacteria,
      cysts, and sediment, removable filter protector, activated carbon
      core. 99.9999% Klebsiella, 99.99% Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
      Capacity of filter 200 gallons (750 l) depending on water quality.

      Large volume water bag (2.6 gal / 10 l)
      Easy open/close buckle system
      Long output hose with on/off valve

      Replacement Cartridge
      1120070

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "PACKAGE">>
      The filter came packaged in an oversized cardboard box and in good
      condition. The manufacturer could have used a smaller shipping box
      for the filter I'm sure. When I opened the shipping container I
      found the filter in its manufactured packaging. This box was
      appropriate for its contents. On the front of the box there is an
      opening which would give a finger access to feel the material of the
      filter's bag. I do not know what function this would serve to the
      consumer. I'd feel more comfortable that the contents wouldn't be
      damaged if the box wasn't accessible like that.

      After opening the box to reveal the filter I read the box to
      inventory the parts. The box reads as follows:
      1- 2.6 gallon water bag
      1- Anti Clog Hiker PRO Microfilter Cartridge
      1- removable filter protector
      48" Output Hose
      1- on/off output hose valve
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "CONTENTS OF
      BOX">>
      Also included in the package was a small bag containing a sponge and
      a small tube of silicone grease, and an instruction booklet.

      My initial impression was that I was without the removable filter
      protector but it was already installed on the cartridge.

      The filter is a dry bag type of bag with a hole at the bottom. A
      filter element is installed in the hole to create a gravity fed
      filter. The bag is made of vinyl and looks as the type of vinyl that
      would retain its stiffness in the hot sun. The bag is a soft dark
      blue and the color concerns me a bit. I am afraid the color of the
      bag will allow it to absorb the suns hot rays and changing the
      temperature of the output of water. I look forward to testing the
      sun's affect on the bag. The bag closes with a roll top feature that
      clips together. I am familiar with these as I am a canoe guide for a
      month out of the year, and I find this clip on most dry bags. The
      clip looks sturdy; however, it is placed at the fulcrum of where the
      bag will be hanging.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS / ASSEMBLY

      The instruction booklet starts out by explaining how to install the
      filter protector that has already been installed by the
      manufacturer. I am glad I read this as the booklet later states how
      to clean it if the filter's output is decreased due to clogging. The
      next step is the filter assembly. I must admit that with most
      purchases I make I skip the instruction booklet and try to assemble
      it before opening. This is as far as I got without having to
      reference the instructions. The filter is clearly labeled OUT so I
      knew I was putting it in correctly. The instructions clearly explain
      the need for the silicone grease in this area. They also voice
      caution to not grabbing the cartridge which can damage it. After
      lubing the O ring I placed the cartridge in the hole and grabbed the
      hard ring at the bottom of the bag. I applied pressure with my
      thumbs to the cartridge and it slipped in with ease. I figure this
      is the best way to insert it without damaging the filter.
      The instructions have a diagram to show assembly of the cartridge
      to the bag, fastened to the bag by a threaded cap. This was my first
      element of concern. If the cartridge is not fully installed the cap
      will not catch the threads. This was my indication to grab the
      instructions. Once I was educated and the cartridge was installed
      correctly the cap grabbed easily to the threads. I tightened the cap
      a little too much and the threads gave. I then tried over and
      tightened it just to the point of snugness.
      The booklet then goes on to say to flush the cartridge with 2
      liters ( 2.53 gal) of water and that it may produce discolored water
      on the flush cycle. It explains that this is normal.
      The booklet never mentions how to install the on / off valve. It
      took me a good minute just to figure it out. <<IMAGE GOES HERE.
      ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "SHUT OFF VALVE">>
      The instructions continue on to explain how to fill, hang, and start
      filtering. I will be referencing the instructions in the next
      section on these matters. Confident everything was installed
      correctly I proceeded to try it out.

      TRYING IT OUT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "IN USE">>

      The instruction's state to fill the bag with separate container. As
      I will not be bringing any other container with me I tried filling it
      without one. The book also warns not to touch the hose to the source
      of water.
      I filled the bag in the kitchen sink. I thought it would be simple
      but it proved a bit challenging but not impossible. During the
      filling period, hose became disconnected but I couldn't deal with
      that until it was full. When full, I followed the instructions to
      roll the bag 4-5 times and snap it closed. I then hung it on a hook
      right outside my back door. Reattaching the hose proved difficult
      while it was draining. After about a minute it finally slipped into
      place. The shut off valve did an adequate job of stopping the flow
      of water. It surprisingly didn't drip either. I started the filter
      draining into a 1 liter bottle ( 34 fl oz) it took 2 minutes 49
      seconds to fill. I then let the remainder of the water drain into a
      pan. I do not have a measurement on how much water was in the
      bladder but it took 25 minutes 50 seconds for the rest to drain.
      The filter seems to work better when the hose is as straight as
      possible. I will be commenting on its application in the field
      report.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I lead a wilderness canoe trip to the Ozark National Scenic Waterways
      every year. We canoe up
      to 60 miles (97 km) of the Current River and do day hikes about every
      other
      day. Last year we completed a 20 mi (32 km)section of the Ozark Trail
      when
      finished canoeing. We will be returning this year. I also spend time
      in Voyageurs National Park every year as my fiancée's family owns a
      home on Lake Kabetogama. We spend about a week canoeing and
      exploring the islands. This year we are planning a 2-day adventure
      on the locator lake trail and another two day trip to Cruiser Lake.
      My summer is also filled with many day hikes and small
      camping trips to the many state parks in Illinois and Wisconsin. My
      favorite being Kettle Moraine State park in Wisconsin.

      TEST PLAN:

      I will be using the filter in Minnesota, and Missouri this year on
      weeklong trips. The Missouri trip is where it will get the biggest
      test. I lead a group of 18 people down the current river. It is a
      spring fed river and we usually fill up water at the ranger stations.
      It will be a five day trip and we will probably use the filter almost
      all day. We will be filling up (2) five gallon thermos cooler 1-2
      times a day.
      Temperature could range anywhere from 60 degrees F (16 degrees C) to
      100 degrees F (38 degrees C).
      The filter will be used in rocky, wet, and dirty conditions. Water
      will range from clear spring fed moving water, to murky water that
      has been sitting. My test plan will be built around function,
      filtration, and durability.

      Function:
      Time of filtration will be a heavily weighted category for the
      filter. We my stop to fill up midday and still need to keep on
      schedule. Also after cooking the thermos would have to be
      replenished. How long will that take?
      Is the bag easily filled in different situations? A shallow creek?
      How hard is it to change the filter cartridge? Is it easily
      carried? How well
      does the shutoff valves work? I also have concern about how easy it
      will be to find a place to hang the bag. Does the clip hold? I will
      also bring a rope to make sure we will be able to find a place to
      hang it.

      Filtration:
      How does the water look smell and taste? Does the particles and
      debris I may pick up sit in the bag? Is it easy to clean out
      afterwards? How does it do with various clarities of water? Does the
      time to filter decline over the long term use of the cartridge?

      Durability:
      Can the material hold up if stored exposed on my canoe, or will it
      need to be in a protected area? Does it soften when sitting in the
      sun? Does that significantly effect the temp of the water? The
      bladder looks like it can be hung, will it stretch or hold with the
      weight of the water?

      SUMMARY

      I look forward to getting in the field to test the
      performance of the filter. It seems to be the perfect product for
      my needs. Thank you to Katadyn and Backpackgeartest.org for the
      opportunity to test the filter.

      This concludes my Initial report.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I was able to use the filter on two separate trips this summer. The
      first was a wilderness canoe trip down the Current River with
      sixteen people. After we floated for six days, we then spent a
      night on the Ozark Trail. Terrain was mostly gravel bars and
      mountainous forests. The river winds through large tree covered
      bluffs and naturally creates huge gravel bars. Most of the time
      these bars are lined with dense forests. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT
      = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Our terrain for six days">>
      As the river winds through the mountains, its elevations receded
      from 852 ft (260 m) above sea level down to 570 ft (174 m). When
      on the trail elevations reached 870 ft (265 m). The trail's terrain
      was dirt or gravel trail through dense forests primed with hungry
      deer flies ready to bite and annoy us. Temperatures scorched to a
      recorded 113 degrees F (45 C) dropping to a comfortable 72 degrees F
      (22 C) at night.

      The second was a five day adventure in Voyageurs National Park in
      Minnesota. It was spent with my fiancée, and her two younger
      brothers. We canoed Lake Kabetogama setting up three different
      base camps and heading out on numerous day hikes to do some
      exploring. The terrain is rocky shores covered in grass and moss,
      some sandy beaches, and dense northwoods forests containing pines,
      poplars, and quaking aspen. Elevations stayed pretty constant
      between 1100 -1200 ft (335-366 m) above sea level. Temperatures were
      between 85-89 degrees F (29-32 C) during the sunny days, and got
      down to almost 60 degrees F (16 C) at night.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      On the first trip the filter was perfect for our use. Sixteen people
      were on our trip each having two Lexan bottles (32 total) and we had
      two 5 gallon (19 L) containers. I am a beginning backpacker and
      have only borrowed a pump style filter. I couldn't imagine using
      that to fill up 32 Lexan bottles or two 5 gallon (19 L) water
      coolers. Given the temps outside, and size of the group, the filter
      received tremendous use. Before we launched we filled up at our
      outfitter's spigot. I tried the water it had a strong iron taste. I
      got the first bag full filtering into the water cooler while we
      loaded the bus. The filter takes about 20 minutes to drain and
      filter its capacity. I got two of these done in the time it took to
      load. We then transferred the water to our Lexan bottles. We only
      had enough filtered water for about half of the individual bottles,
      so it was decided we all got one iron tasting and one filtered Lexan
      bottle. We then filled the two water coolers and shipped off. I
      have found no information that the filter filters iron; however, in
      comparison the filtered water was definitely more palatable. There
      was virtually no taste of the heavy iron content the water from the
      spigot had. As for quality of water I was impressed already.

      Daily we had to filter a large amount of water so every stop, I kept
      replenishing the water coolers, and from the water coolers we
      replenished our Lexan bottles. It was a good system and we'd time
      our breaks around the time it took to filter a bag of water. While I
      was in charge of water throughout the day when we stopped to camp I
      shared the responsibility with my traveling partners. The others
      found the process of filling the bag and filtering the water,
      equally simple.

      As our surroundings changed I had to get creative to find places
      to hang the bag and even more creative on how to hang it. I
      sometimes lucked out with a sturdy branch about 7 ft (213 cm) from
      the ground. For this ideal situation hanging the bag was as simple
      as clicking the clasps in place around the branch. <<IMAGE GOES HERE.
      ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Hanging with a bungee">>
      A couple of times I had to bungee it around the trunk of a tree at
      the ideal height. I found it useful to bring a 25 ft (762 cm) rope
      to help create possibilities for hanging. I'd fill the bladder and
      attach the rope. I'd then throw the other end over a higher branch
      and tie it to the trunk. This was tedious when I had to refill the
      bag over and over to replace our cooking water. This method was also
      easier with two people but had been performed the first time by
      myself. I welcomed the offer for help the next time. The bag and
      clasp held up for the most part. On one occasion there was a small
      protrusion of bark on the branch it was hanging from that triggered
      the clasp and created a large splash. I refilled the bag and was on
      my way filtering again.

      The Current River is spring fed and we grabbed water from the
      cleanest sources possible. There were times I stopped and had to get
      water from stationary parts of the river. The filter performed
      consistently with all types of water, the well water at the
      outfitter, the flowing spring water, and the stationary pool water.
      Every time I was finished filtering I rinsed the inside of the bag
      out to rid it of debris. Filling the bag was easy but did require
      getting into the water to do so. If faced with having to stay dry to
      fill the filter's bag, I'd use a large ladle or pot to fill from the
      shallow shore. I hope to test a situation like this for my long
      term report.

      Use was a little more involved for our trip to Lake Kabetogama. The
      filling and hanging was an equally challenging situation. What
      proved more challenging was the attention factor. On this trip we
      had no 5 gallon (19 L) reservoir. I had to fill the Lexan bottles
      individually versus the hang and let drain method used in the
      Ozarks. It takes approximately 2-2 1/2 minutes to fill each bottle.
      The water quality in Voyageurs National Park was a clear, but golden
      tinted. It filtered clear and odor free. It didn't seem as
      refreshing as the water in the Ozarks, but I believe the warm sun
      increased the temperature of Lake Kabetogama. The Current River,
      being spring fed, has a cooler year round temperature. Other than
      its refreshing qualities the temperature of the water had no bearing
      on the filter's performance.

      A couple of lessons learned. I learned to figure out the place of
      hanging the filter before filling it. I got a good workout the first
      few times as the bag is heavy when full. Also it is easier to
      attach the small hose to the bottom of the filter before filling it.
      It proves harder to attach the hose when water is coming out.
      Finally, I found that the temperature increases when the bag is in
      the direct sun. Finding shade to hang it in rectified this situation.

      SUMMARY

      The trips were definitely an ideal way to test the filter. The
      filter performed well yet required some adaptation as our
      surroundings change. I am pleased with the quality of water that it
      produces with different water clarities and odors.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will be bringing the filter on a few dayhikes and mountain biking
      trips to state parks in the Illinois and Wisconsin areas. I hope to
      try filtering some really murky water taken from some shallow areas
      to test its abilities further.
      This concludes my field report. My long term report will be amended
      in December. Check back for more information.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Glacial
      Park (MCCD)">>
      The Katadyn Camp filter has tagged along on a few day hikes in
      Glacial Park part of the McHenry County Conservation District. I
      usually just pack water on a day hike but I wanted to test the
      ability to filter different water sources, so I flung it in my day
      pack and hit the trail. Glacial Park is a glacial formed park filled
      with hills and grasslands with some patches of forested acres. The
      trails wind across the Nippersink Creek, whose headwaters stem from a
      man made lake. The hikes took place on a cool evening with
      temperatures at approximately 65 degrees F (18 C) and on a brisk
      morning with temperatures around 50 degrees F (10 C).
      The filter was also used in the Harrison-Benwell conservation area
      also part of the MCCD. I chose this location to test the filter
      because the 3.5 mile loop crosses a swampy area. The trail is a
      groomed trail through a forest consisting of maple, oak, black
      walnut, and boxelder trees. The terrain is flat and sometimes muddy.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "filtering
      the Nippersink's finest">>
      The filter has performed exceptionally with all it's been asked to
      do. The Camp filter has withstood the 80 or so gallons (303 liters)
      of clear, cool water in the Current River, approximately 10 gallons
      (38 liters) of Lake Kabetogama's finest, and another 10 gallons (38
      liters) of water from various sources. The filter has taken out the
      floating particles of the Nippersink and left the filtered water
      clean and clear. When asked to perform against the murky wetland
      water in the Harrison-Benwell Recreation area it stepped up to the
      plate. With the swamp water, the filter produced a clean product
      that had a slight odor. The filtered water did taste fine and after
      drinking it I never felt the effects of any "beaver fever" or
      parasites.

      The filter has also had a consistent rate of approximately 3 minutes
      per liter (34 fl oz) of water. The exception of this has been when
      filtering the Swamp water. It took almost five minutes to filter a 1
      liter (34 fl oz) Nalgene full of water. I believe this was due to
      the floating algae bloom that was scooped into the filter's bag.

      I used a small Gatorade bottle to fill the bag with the swamp
      water. Until now I have entered the water source to fill the
      filter's bag. I wanted to test how this method would differ. I had
      no trouble filling the filter's bag with the extra container but I
      did have to lug an empty bottle around. Because it has come in
      contact with the tainted swamp water, the empty Gatorade bottle
      although light, is a useless bulk that would need to be carried to
      fill the filter this way.

      The swamp water clogged the filter with its muck and algae.
      Although it still did the job it was a more time consuming task to
      clean. I rinsed the filter out thoroughly and then filled it full of
      water and dumped two caps full of bleach ion the filled bladder. I
      then just rolled the top and hung it on a post on my deck to drain.

      The shutoff valve does an excellent job of keeping the water from
      flowing in the tube. Although it was initially a concern of mine,
      the simple design of the valve not only performs well it serves
      another function. While filtering water in Glacial Park, I had a
      lack of nearby trees. After deciding to hold the filter while it was
      filtering instead of hauling water in the filter about 200 yards (183
      m) to a tree, I used the valve to clip the hose in a fixed position
      on the Nalgene bottle. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "another use for the shut-off valve">>

      SUMMARY

      POSITIVES: I am overall pleased with the performance of the filter.

      1. It is the absolute perfect filter for our annual canoe trip
      down the Current River and it worked great for the four of us
      trekking Lake Kabetogama's Islands.
      2. I am impressed with its filtered product. The filter has
      bested even the funkiest of water qualities.

      3. The weight of the filter not much more than the filter cartridge
      itself.

      4. The simple design is easy to use.

      5. I like the fact that I can fill the filter and let it drain
      clean water in my container

      NEGATIVES:

      1. Filling the bag is a slight inconvenience. It is extremely
      easier to fill the bag by getting wet, however that method could pose
      dangerous in cooler temperatures. Filling it by bringing a separate
      container poses a different annoyance. I brought the extra Gatorade
      bottle specifically to test this method but was hampered with
      carrying around the useless bulk of an empty contaminated bottle full
      of bacteria.

      2. Holding the bag to filter it can be tiring; only a problem if no
      trees are around to hang it on.

      3. The filter isn't very packable. There is no protection from
      crushing the filter and no case or sack that comes with it. I
      haven't found a container or sack I like to store the filter yet.

      CONTINUED USE

      I will definately bring the filter with on any trips with more than
      two participants that can all benefit from the volume of water the
      bladder can handle. In solo or coupled outings I'd weigh my
      options. I will continue to use the filter and am glad it's in my
      arsenal. It especially comes in handy for high volume needs. I
      really appreciated the filter when stopping to cook. I filtered
      water to drink, cook and dish duty all in one filling.

      Thank you to BGT and Katadyn for allowing me to test the filter.

      Mike J. Daurio Jr.