RE: [backpackgeartesters] Initial Report - Mental HeadCase Multi-purpose Microfibre Accessory - Thomas Vickers

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
      Lets just say that I came home.
      Found it
      Wrote my report (had already gotten the basic outline ready)
      Posted the arrival
      Then posted the report

      Just trying to look good ;)

      TV
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi

        I am assuming that this sentence was referring to a photo? If not, please
        disregard the following comment. If yes, then this is really not projection.
        Projection is only issue with respect to making assumptions about the use of
        a product or possible outcomes. Referring someone to a photo is okay.

        Thanks
        Andrew

        On 02/12/2007, Jenn K. <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

        > Mike
        >
        > I have one more edit.
        >
        > ***If you look carefully, you can see the filter element, barely
        > visible
        > under only about 2 in (5 cm) of water.
        >
        > EDIT: Remove the word "you" this is projection.
        >
        > Jenn K.
        >
        > -- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K."
        > <jennksnowy@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mike
        > >
        > > Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take the
        > following format:
        > >
        > > EDIT: Must be changed.
        > > Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
        > > Comment: Just that or something to think about.
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
          Mental Gear? Seems appropriate :-)

          Andrew

          On 03/12/2007, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

          > The subject says it all.
          > I arrived home today to find the Mental Gear Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose
          > Micrifibre Accessory waiting for me
          >
          > Tvickers

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
            HI TV

            Very fast indeed but maybe a touch to fast? :-) One thing I got or rather
            didn't get from reading your report is what the product is. Can you add in
            a short description of same ... i.e., what is that you are testing ...
            describe it that is.

            Thanks mate.
            Andrew

            On 03/12/2007, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

            > Lets just say that I came home.
            > Found it
            > Wrote my report (had already gotten the basic outline ready)
            > Posted the arrival
            > Then posted the report
            >
            > Just trying to look good ;)
            >
            > TV
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
              Sure thing

              TV
            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                Revised report

                Html here
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/MHG-IR-TV/

                Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory

                Initial Report - December 2, 2007

                Thomas Vickers

                39 years old
                Male
                5 ft 11 in tall (1.8 m)
                175 lb (79 kg)
                redroach@...
                Southeast Texas, Houston Area

                Tester Background:
                I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick trip
                into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has evolved and
                over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter weight approach
                to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents, just lighter versions).
                While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I feel that I am more of a
                mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of comfort, while carrying the
                lightest load possible.

                Initial Report
                December 2, 2007

                Manufacturer Information:

                Manufacturer: Mental Gear

                Website: http://www.mentalgear.com

                Sizes available: One size fits all

                Year Manufactured: 2007
                MSRP: $ 14.95 US
                Information From Tester:
                (all measurements approximate)

                Color/pattern: Black

                Weight : 1.10 oz (31 gm)

                Measurements: 16 x 9 in (41 x 23 cm)

                Tester's head size: 23 in (58 cm)

                Initial tester expectations:
                After visiting the Mental website I had a lot of questions in my head. How
                do I care for the HeadCase? How large is it? How much does it weigh? There
                is a short description of the item there, but beyond that I had to use my
                imagination to come up with most of my mental impressions of it before it
                arrived.

                Description from the manufacturer:
                The HeadCase multi-functional accessory works for all kinds of activities.
                It provides maximum comfort and protection against wind, snow, sun, etc.
                The HeadCase is manufactured from 100% pllyester micro-fibre, which is
                wind-resistant, breathable, and wicks moisture.  The HeadCase is constructed
                without seams and will not loose its shape.  The micro-fibre dries in
                minutes, retains it (sic) elasticity and does not fray. The suggested uses
                are "Bandana, head band, face mask, balaclava, scrunchee, helmet cover,
                beanie, neck warmer, and skull cap."
                Tester's Description:
                The Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory is a tube of
                polyester fabric. It is black (inside and out) and has the "Mental" logo on
                four locations. The material is stretchy and very soft. I was a bit
                surprised that I could see light through the HeadCase fabric even when it is
                doubled over.  I had expected the fabric to be a bit 'heavier', but what is
                a good test without a few surprises?
                The HeadCase is an interesting piece of gear from the start. It is designed
                to be a multi-use head/neck covering. Not a hat, not a bandana and not a
                balaclava, but something in between. I can best describe it as a head/neck
                multi-tool.
                Impressions:
                The fabric was much lighter and softer than I had expected after seeing it
                on the website.  Being able to actually see light and shapes through the
                fabric has me a bit worried about its ability to keep me warm during the
                colder months, but I have a lot of testing in store for the HeadCase before
                I can make a judgement on that issue. The ends of the microfibre tube are
                not hemmed in any way so I will also interested in how they hold up to wear
                and tear.

                The website was rather sparse on information about the HeadCase, except for
                the description above. It did show several ways to wear the HeadCase, but
                provided no instructions on how to fold or apply the HeadCase.  The hang tag
                that came with the HeadCase did solve some of these mysteries for me.  The
                hang tag shows nine ways to wear the HeadCase and it provides detailed
                instructions on how to create a beanie and skull cap out of this item.

                Test Strategy:
                Here are some questions that I plan on using as a guide for my testing of
                the Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory:

                Fit:
                1. How well does this item fit? This seems like an easy question, but a
                seamless tube of microfiber fabric which stretches might be too tight or too
                lose upon my pointy head.
                2. Are there ways to wear the HeadCase that don’t work for me due its
                size/fit?
                3. How fashionable will I look on the trail?
                4. Can I wear a climbing helmet over the HeadCase?
                Use:
                1. How much does it weigh?
                2. The website shows 8 different ways to wear it. Can I use all of them? Are
                there other ways beyond the "8" that I can use this item?
                3. How well does it protect my head from the sun when worn as a cap/head
                covering?
                4. Can I wet the HeadCase and then wear it as a cap in order to keep my head
                cool and covered during warmer weather? How long does it stay wet?
                5. Is it thick enough to keep my head/neck warm on cool
                days/evenings/nights? Will it keep my head warm on cold nights in my
                hammock?
                6. Does it provide any type of protection from biting insects? Or can they
                bite through the fabric?
                7. Will it work as a trail towel? Wash cloth?
                Durability:
                1. Does the HeadCase stretch out? How well does it hold its shape/elastic
                qualities over time?
                2. Does it develop nasty odors? Can the odors wash out or air out without
                too much lingering stink?
                3. How resistant to snags and pilling is it? The website claims that it does
                not fray, is this true?
                4. Do stains wash out easily?
                5. What are the washing care instructions? Are they easy to follow in the
                field?
                6. Can I treat the HeadCase with insect repellant?
                Final thoughts:
                I am very interested to see how well this item holds up to trail use. The
                company website was a bit sparse (in my opinion) on its uses and care
                instructions.  This isn't a minus to me because it means I really don't have
                any preconcieved notions about what I can or can't do with this item.  It
                simply leaves everything up to me and I am more than willing to experiment
                with the idea of a head/neck multi-tool.

                Please check back in February 2008 for my Field Test report and further
                information on the Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory.
              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Thanks.

                  Andrew