Arrived : Mental Gear Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Micrifibre Accessory - Thomas Vickers

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
      The subject says it all.
      I arrived home today to find the Mental Gear Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose
      Micrifibre Accessory waiting for me

      Tvickers
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
        Html here

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/MHG-IR-TV/

        Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory

        Initial Report - December 2, 2007

        Thomas Vickers

        39 years old
        Male
        5 ft 11 in tall (1.8 m)
        175 lb (79 kg)
        redroach@...
        Southeast Texas, Houston Area

        Tester Background:
        I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick trip
        into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has evolved and
        over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter weight approach
        to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents, just lighter versions).
        While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I feel that I am more of a
        mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of comfort, while carrying the
        lightest load possible.

        Initial Report
        December 2, 2007

        Manufacturer Information:

        Manufacturer: Mental Gear

        Website: http://www.mentalgear.com

        Sizes available: One size fits all

        Year Manufactured: 2007
        MSRP: $ 14.95 US
        Information From Tester:
        (all measurements approximate)

        Color/pattern: Black

        Weight : 1.10 oz (31 gm)

        Measurements: 16 x 9 in (41 x 23 cm)

        Tester's head size: 23 in (58 cm)

        Initial tester expectations:
        After visiting the Mental website I had a lot of questions in my head. How
        do I care for the HeadCase? How large is it? How much does it weigh? There
        is a short description of the item there, but beyond that I had to use my
        imagination to come up with most of my mental impressions of it before it
        arrived.

        Description from the manufacturer:
        The HeadCase multi-functional accessory works for all kinds of activities.
        It provides maximum comfort and protection against wind, snow, sun, etc.
        The HeadCase is manufactured from 100% pllyester micro-fibre, which is
        wind-resistant, breathable, and wicks moisture. The HeadCase is constructed
        without seams and will not loose its shape. The micro-fibre dries in
        minutes, retains it (sic) elasticity and does not fray.
        Tester's Description:
        The Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory is a tube of
        polyester fabric. It is black (inside and out) and has the "Mental" logo on
        four locations. The material is stretchy and very soft. I was a bit
        surprised that I could see light through the HeadCase fabric even when it is
        doubled over. I had expected the fabric to be a bit 'heavier', but what is
        a good test without a few surprises? The ends of the microfibre tube are not
        hemmed in any way.
        Impressions:
        The HeadCase is an interesting piece of gear from the start. The fabric was
        much lighter and softer than I had expected after seeing it on the website.
        Being able to actually see light and shapes through the fabric has me a bit
        worried about its ability to keep me warm during the colder months, but I
        have a lot of testing in store for the HeadCase before I can make a
        judgement on that issue.

        The website was rather sparse on information about the HeadCase, except for
        the description above. It did show several ways to wear the HeadCase, but
        provided no instructions on how to fold or apply the HeadCase. The hang tag
        that came with the HeadCase did solve some of these mysteries for me. The
        hang tag shows nine ways to wear the HeadCase and it provides detailed
        instructions on how to create a beanie and skull cap out of this item.

        Test Strategy:
        Here are some questions that I plan on using as a guide for my testing of
        the Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory:

        Fit:
        1. How well does this item fit? This seems like an easy question, but a
        seamless tube of microfiber fabric which stretches might be too tight or too
        lose upon my pointy head.
        2. Are there ways to wear the HeadCase that don’t work for me due its
        size/fit?
        3. How fashionable will I look on the trail?
        4. Can I wear a climbing helmet over the HeadCase?
        Use:
        1. How much does it weigh?
        2. The website shows 8 different ways to wear it. Can I use all of them? Are
        there other ways beyond the "8" that I can use this item?
        3. How well does it protect my head from the sun when worn as a cap/head
        covering?
        4. Can I wet the HeadCase and then wear it as a cap in order to keep my head
        cool and covered during warmer weather? How long does it stay wet?
        5. Is it thick enough to keep my head/neck warm on cool
        days/evenings/nights? Will it keep my head warm on cold nights in my
        hammock?
        6. Does it provide any type of protection from biting insects? Or can they
        bite through the fabric?
        7. Will it work as a trail towel? Wash cloth?
        Durability:
        1. Does the HeadCase stretch out? How well does it hold its shape/elastic
        qualities over time?
        2. Does it develop nasty odors? Can the odors wash out or air out without
        too much lingering stink?
        3. How resistant to snags and pilling is it? The website claims that it does
        not fray, is this true?
        4. Do stains wash out easily?
        5. What are the washing care instructions? Are they easy to follow in the
        field?
        6. Can I treat the HeadCase with insect repellant?
        Final thoughts:
        I am very interested to see how well this item holds up to trail use. The
        company website was a bit sparse (in my opinion) on its uses and care
        instructions. This isn't a minus to me because it means I really don't have
        any preconcieved notions about what I can or can't do with this item. It
        simply leaves everything up to me and I am more than willing to experiment.

        Please check back in February 2008 for my Field Test report and further
        information on the Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory.
      • Jo Ann Moffi
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
          Wow. That must be a record. Didn't you JUST post your arrival of the Headcase?

          Jo Ann

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
            Lets just say that I came home.
            Found it
            Wrote my report (had already gotten the basic outline ready)
            Posted the arrival
            Then posted the report

            Just trying to look good ;)

            TV
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
              Hi

              I am assuming that this sentence was referring to a photo? If not, please
              disregard the following comment. If yes, then this is really not projection.
              Projection is only issue with respect to making assumptions about the use of
              a product or possible outcomes. Referring someone to a photo is okay.

              Thanks
              Andrew

              On 02/12/2007, Jenn K. <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

              > Mike
              >
              > I have one more edit.
              >
              > ***If you look carefully, you can see the filter element, barely
              > visible
              > under only about 2 in (5 cm) of water.
              >
              > EDIT: Remove the word "you" this is projection.
              >
              > Jenn K.
              >
              > -- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K."
              > <jennksnowy@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Mike
              > >
              > > Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take the
              > following format:
              > >
              > > EDIT: Must be changed.
              > > Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
              > > Comment: Just that or something to think about.
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                Mental Gear? Seems appropriate :-)

                Andrew

                On 03/12/2007, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                > The subject says it all.
                > I arrived home today to find the Mental Gear Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose
                > Micrifibre Accessory waiting for me
                >
                > Tvickers

              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                  HI TV

                  Very fast indeed but maybe a touch to fast? :-) One thing I got or rather
                  didn't get from reading your report is what the product is. Can you add in
                  a short description of same ... i.e., what is that you are testing ...
                  describe it that is.

                  Thanks mate.
                  Andrew

                  On 03/12/2007, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                  > Lets just say that I came home.
                  > Found it
                  > Wrote my report (had already gotten the basic outline ready)
                  > Posted the arrival
                  > Then posted the report
                  >
                  > Just trying to look good ;)
                  >
                  > TV
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Thomas Vickers
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Sure thing

                    TV
                  • Thomas Vickers
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Revised report

[...]

                      minutes, retains it (sic) elasticity and does not fray. The suggested uses
                      are "Bandana, head band, face mask, balaclava, scrunchee, helmet cover,
                      beanie, neck warmer, and skull cap."
                      Tester's Description:
                      The Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory is a tube of
                      polyester fabric. It is black (inside and out) and has the "Mental" logo on
                      four locations. The material is stretchy and very soft. I was a bit
                      surprised that I could see light through the HeadCase fabric even when it is
                      doubled over.  I had expected the fabric to be a bit 'heavier', but what is
                      a good test without a few surprises?
                      The HeadCase is an interesting piece of gear from the start. It is designed
                      to be a multi-use head/neck covering. Not a hat, not a bandana and not a
                      balaclava, but something in between. I can best describe it as a head/neck
                      multi-tool.
                      Impressions:
                      The fabric was much lighter and softer than I had expected after seeing it
                      on the website.  Being able to actually see light and shapes through the
                      fabric has me a bit worried about its ability to keep me warm during the
                      colder months, but I have a lot of testing in store for the HeadCase before
                      I can make a judgement on that issue. The ends of the microfibre tube are
                      not hemmed in any way so I will also interested in how they hold up to wear
                      and tear.

[...]

                      with the idea of a head/neck multi-tool.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Thanks.

                        Andrew