EDIT LTR: Katadyn Base Camp Filter - Mike Curry

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2007
      Mike

      Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take the following format:

      EDIT: Must be changed.
      Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
      Comment: Just that or something to think about.

      ***This period of testing provided opportunites to use the filter with water that was dirtier than than I encountered during initial field testing.

      EDIT: change �opportunites� to opportunities delete a than

      *** As a hiking buddy of mine and I were looking at it one day on the coast, he turned to me and said, "you know, if they just made that smaller, it would be the perfect filter."

      Edit: Capitalize You

      Mike, sounds like you really enjoyed this filter.

      Jenn K.

    • Jenn K.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
        Mike

        I have one more edit.

        ***If you look carefully, you can see the filter element, barely
        visible
        under only about 2 in (5 cm) of water.

        EDIT: Remove the word "you" this is projection.

        Jenn K.

        -- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K."
        <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

        > Mike
        >
        > Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take the
        following format:

        > EDIT: Must be changed.
        > Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
        > Comment: Just that or something to think about.

      • Mike C.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
          Wow . . . good catch! Thanks! Done and uploaded.

          Mike C.

          <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

          > Mike
          >
          > I have one more edit.
          >
          > ***If you look carefully, you can see the filter element, barely
          > visible
          > under only about 2 in (5 cm) of water.
          >
          > EDIT: Remove the word "you" this is projection.
          >
          > Jenn K.
          >
          > -- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K."
          > <jennksnowy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mike
          > >
          > > Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take
          the
          > following format:
          > >
          > > EDIT: Must be changed.
          > > Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
          > > Comment: Just that or something to think about.

        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
            The subject says it all.
            I arrived home today to find the Mental Gear Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose
            Micrifibre Accessory waiting for me

            Tvickers
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
              Html here

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/MHG-IR-TV/

              Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory

              Initial Report - December 2, 2007

              Thomas Vickers

              39 years old
              Male
              5 ft 11 in tall (1.8 m)
              175 lb (79 kg)
              redroach@...
              Southeast Texas, Houston Area

              Tester Background:
              I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick trip
              into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has evolved and
              over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter weight approach
              to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents, just lighter versions).
              While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I feel that I am more of a
              mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of comfort, while carrying the
              lightest load possible.

              Initial Report
              December 2, 2007

              Manufacturer Information:

              Manufacturer: Mental Gear

              Website: http://www.mentalgear.com

              Sizes available: One size fits all

              Year Manufactured: 2007
              MSRP: $ 14.95 US
              Information From Tester:
              (all measurements approximate)

              Color/pattern: Black

              Weight : 1.10 oz (31 gm)

              Measurements: 16 x 9 in (41 x 23 cm)

              Tester's head size: 23 in (58 cm)

              Initial tester expectations:
              After visiting the Mental website I had a lot of questions in my head. How
              do I care for the HeadCase? How large is it? How much does it weigh? There
              is a short description of the item there, but beyond that I had to use my
              imagination to come up with most of my mental impressions of it before it
              arrived.

              Description from the manufacturer:
              The HeadCase multi-functional accessory works for all kinds of activities.
              It provides maximum comfort and protection against wind, snow, sun, etc.
              The HeadCase is manufactured from 100% pllyester micro-fibre, which is
              wind-resistant, breathable, and wicks moisture. The HeadCase is constructed
              without seams and will not loose its shape. The micro-fibre dries in
              minutes, retains it (sic) elasticity and does not fray.
              Tester's Description:
              The Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory is a tube of
              polyester fabric. It is black (inside and out) and has the "Mental" logo on
              four locations. The material is stretchy and very soft. I was a bit
              surprised that I could see light through the HeadCase fabric even when it is
              doubled over. I had expected the fabric to be a bit 'heavier', but what is
              a good test without a few surprises? The ends of the microfibre tube are not
              hemmed in any way.
              Impressions:
              The HeadCase is an interesting piece of gear from the start. The fabric was
              much lighter and softer than I had expected after seeing it on the website.
              Being able to actually see light and shapes through the fabric has me a bit
              worried about its ability to keep me warm during the colder months, but I
              have a lot of testing in store for the HeadCase before I can make a
              judgement on that issue.

              The website was rather sparse on information about the HeadCase, except for
              the description above. It did show several ways to wear the HeadCase, but
              provided no instructions on how to fold or apply the HeadCase. The hang tag
              that came with the HeadCase did solve some of these mysteries for me. The
              hang tag shows nine ways to wear the HeadCase and it provides detailed
              instructions on how to create a beanie and skull cap out of this item.

              Test Strategy:
              Here are some questions that I plan on using as a guide for my testing of
              the Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory:

              Fit:
              1. How well does this item fit? This seems like an easy question, but a
              seamless tube of microfiber fabric which stretches might be too tight or too
              lose upon my pointy head.
              2. Are there ways to wear the HeadCase that don’t work for me due its
              size/fit?
              3. How fashionable will I look on the trail?
              4. Can I wear a climbing helmet over the HeadCase?
              Use:
              1. How much does it weigh?
              2. The website shows 8 different ways to wear it. Can I use all of them? Are
              there other ways beyond the "8" that I can use this item?
              3. How well does it protect my head from the sun when worn as a cap/head
              covering?
              4. Can I wet the HeadCase and then wear it as a cap in order to keep my head
              cool and covered during warmer weather? How long does it stay wet?
              5. Is it thick enough to keep my head/neck warm on cool
              days/evenings/nights? Will it keep my head warm on cold nights in my
              hammock?
              6. Does it provide any type of protection from biting insects? Or can they
              bite through the fabric?
              7. Will it work as a trail towel? Wash cloth?
              Durability:
              1. Does the HeadCase stretch out? How well does it hold its shape/elastic
              qualities over time?
              2. Does it develop nasty odors? Can the odors wash out or air out without
              too much lingering stink?
              3. How resistant to snags and pilling is it? The website claims that it does
              not fray, is this true?
              4. Do stains wash out easily?
              5. What are the washing care instructions? Are they easy to follow in the
              field?
              6. Can I treat the HeadCase with insect repellant?
              Final thoughts:
              I am very interested to see how well this item holds up to trail use. The
              company website was a bit sparse (in my opinion) on its uses and care
              instructions. This isn't a minus to me because it means I really don't have
              any preconcieved notions about what I can or can't do with this item. It
              simply leaves everything up to me and I am more than willing to experiment.

              Please check back in February 2008 for my Field Test report and further
              information on the Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory.
            • Jo Ann Moffi
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                Wow. That must be a record. Didn't you JUST post your arrival of the Headcase?

                Jo Ann

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Lets just say that I came home.
                  Found it
                  Wrote my report (had already gotten the basic outline ready)
                  Posted the arrival
                  Then posted the report

                  Just trying to look good ;)

                  TV
                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Hi

                    I am assuming that this sentence was referring to a photo? If not, please
                    disregard the following comment. If yes, then this is really not projection.
                    Projection is only issue with respect to making assumptions about the use of
                    a product or possible outcomes. Referring someone to a photo is okay.

                    Thanks
                    Andrew

                    On 02/12/2007, Jenn K. <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

                    > Mike
                    >
                    > I have one more edit.
                    >
                    > ***If you look carefully, you can see the filter element, barely
                    > visible
                    > under only about 2 in (5 cm) of water.
                    >
                    > EDIT: Remove the word "you" this is projection.
                    >
                    > Jenn K.
                    >
                    > -- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K."
                    > <jennksnowy@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for your LTR, your edits will follow. They will take the
                    > following format:
                    > >
                    > > EDIT: Must be changed.
                    > > Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
                    > > Comment: Just that or something to think about.
                    > >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Andrew Priest
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Mental Gear? Seems appropriate :-)

                      Andrew

                      On 03/12/2007, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                      > The subject says it all.
                      > I arrived home today to find the Mental Gear Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose
                      > Micrifibre Accessory waiting for me
                      >
                      > Tvickers

                    • Andrew Priest
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                        HI TV

                        Very fast indeed but maybe a touch to fast? :-) One thing I got or rather
                        didn't get from reading your report is what the product is. Can you add in
                        a short description of same ... i.e., what is that you are testing ...
                        describe it that is.

                        Thanks mate.
                        Andrew

                        On 03/12/2007, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                        > Lets just say that I came home.
                        > Found it
                        > Wrote my report (had already gotten the basic outline ready)
                        > Posted the arrival
                        > Then posted the report
                        >
                        > Just trying to look good ;)
                        >
                        > TV
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Thomas Vickers
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Sure thing

                          TV
                        • Thomas Vickers
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                            Revised report

[...]

                            minutes, retains it (sic) elasticity and does not fray. The suggested uses
                            are "Bandana, head band, face mask, balaclava, scrunchee, helmet cover,
                            beanie, neck warmer, and skull cap."
                            Tester's Description:
                            The Mental HeadCase Multi-Purpose Microfibre Accessory is a tube of
                            polyester fabric. It is black (inside and out) and has the "Mental" logo on
                            four locations. The material is stretchy and very soft. I was a bit
                            surprised that I could see light through the HeadCase fabric even when it is
                            doubled over.  I had expected the fabric to be a bit 'heavier', but what is
                            a good test without a few surprises?
                            The HeadCase is an interesting piece of gear from the start. It is designed
                            to be a multi-use head/neck covering. Not a hat, not a bandana and not a
                            balaclava, but something in between. I can best describe it as a head/neck
                            multi-tool.
                            Impressions:
                            The fabric was much lighter and softer than I had expected after seeing it
                            on the website.  Being able to actually see light and shapes through the
                            fabric has me a bit worried about its ability to keep me warm during the
                            colder months, but I have a lot of testing in store for the HeadCase before
                            I can make a judgement on that issue. The ends of the microfibre tube are
                            not hemmed in any way so I will also interested in how they hold up to wear
                            and tear.

[...]

                            with the idea of a head/neck multi-tool.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Thanks.

                              Andrew