LTR - Darn Tough Vermont Socks - Mike Wilkie

  • foreverwild
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      LTR - Darn Tough Vermont Socks

      Mike Wilkie

      HTML version is located in the test folder via the
      link below.

      http://tinyurl.com/2g3vyw

      DARN TOUGH VERMONT MICRO CREW CUSHION •
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE WILKIE
      LTR
      December 01, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Wilkie
      EMAIL: foreverwild1885 at yahoo dot com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Davenport, New York (USA)
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 148 lb (67.10 kg)

      Hiking for me started at an early age, as I was always
      an avid camper and Boy Scout. Living in the Catskill
      Region backpacking has become serious for me over the
      years. I camp, hike or multi-day backpack through the
      Catskill or Adirondack Wilderness every weekend. As a
      mid-weight packer I'm always prepared and use a tent
      for overnighters. Being an aspirant of the Catskill
      3500 Club and Adirondack 46ers, peak-bagging is now my
      favorite outdoor activity. I will be climbing to
      mountain summits this winter equipped with snowshoes
      and crampons. My long-term goals are to complete long
      distance thru-hikes.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Field testing in the backcountry took place at the
      following areas.

      All of the following are located in the Blackhead
      Range in the Northern Catskills.

      Black Dome Mountain - This was a short but strenuous
      hike to the summit of Black Dome. The weather, not
      surprisingly changed from beautiful sunny skies at the
      trailhead to cool, rainy temperatures on the summit.
      On this 5 mile (8.05 km) out and back hike the temps
      went from about 60 F (15.56 C) down to a cool, damp 50
      F (10.00 C). There was an elevation change of 1780 ft
      (543 m). The elevation on the summit was 3980 ft
      (1214).

      Blackhead Mountain - This was a strenuous 4.5 mile
      (7.3 km) loop hike with an elevation change of 1740 ft
      (531 m). The summit elevation was at 3940 ft (1201
      m). Weather was a beautiful fall 60 F (15.56 C) day.
      No complaints with the conditions on this day.

      Thomas Cole Mountain - Also known as Camels Hump.
      This moderate 5 mile (8.1 km) hike offered great views
      being that all the leaves at this time were on the
      ground. Came to some ice sheets on the trail, but was
      able to skirt around them without crampons. This was
      a brisk sunny day with high temperates around 40 F
      (4.44 C). The low temperature at the trailhead before
      first light was around 20 F (-6.66 C). The highest
      elevation point on the Camels Hump was 3525 ft (1075
      m). The elevation on the summit of Thomas Cole was at
      3940ft (1201 m).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      These socks performed unbelievably well in the field.
      I found the Micro Crew Socks are best to be used as a
      three season socks. They are perfect for keeping
      your feet warm and dry on those cooler mornings and
      nights during the fall. I have also found that these
      Darn Tough socks help keep your feet cool and dry
      during those hot summer days.

      I did test these socks out on the trails during the
      beginning weeks of winter and found that the socks are
      a little too light for the really cold days. However,
      they did keep my feet warm when on the move. I only
      found my toes to be affected by the cold when not
      maintaining any movement.

      On my last trip out, on the way up to the summit of
      Black Dome, I was forced to change out of these socks.
      I had to replace the Darn Tough Vermont Socks for a
      more heavier weight pair that would help when I taking
      lunch or view breaks. This trip the temperature was
      20 F (-6.66 C) at the trailhead and had a definite
      wind chill factor on the summit.

      SUMMARY

      I would have to agree with the other BGT testers who
      also spent time testing these who stated that the
      socks are "Darn Tough". Over the four months of
      consistent use and washing they still retain their
      shape. The form fitting structure is still holding up
      and still huge my feet like they did when I first
      received them.

      Besides the small amount of pilling from the washing
      and drying process they still look new. The colors
      are still bright and there are no stains or wear spots
      showing.

      As for a midweight sock I have no complaints.

      CONTINUED USE

      I will continue to wear the Darn Tough Vermont Micro
      Crew Socks for all of my spring, summer and fall
      adventures. I have yet to wear a more comfortable and
      durable sock. As of right know when the time comes
      for purchasing a new pair for myself or as a gift for
      fellow adventurers, Darn Tough Vermont will be the
      ones I go with.

      Now that winter is here and temps are well into the
      teens and single digits, I will be investing in Darn
      Tough Vermont's heavier weight socks. I will not
      consider any other brand at this time.

      The dog loves them too.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

      Best Regards,