FR MountainAbout GatrGards David Heyting

  • deheyting
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2007
      Here is my FR for the GatrGards that is ready for editing:

      Thanks in advance for the edits!

      David

      HTML in test folder

      http://tinyurl.com/yrufry

      or

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20MoutainAbout%
      20GatrGards-%20David%20Heyting/

      Here is the word info:

      Field Report
      November 28, 2007

      Field Conditions and Locations:
      I have used GatrGards on numerous hiking trips and trail running
      during the two month testing period. Three of my trips during this
      period were longer outings. The first was a 16 mile (25.8 km) hike
      in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in Washington. The trip included
      some 3rd to fourth class scrambling on Kaletan Peak. The Peak is
      made up of Granite and included a moving through boulder and scree
      fields both on the ascent and the descent of the peak. During the
      trip I experienced low temperatures of around 40 F (4 C) and highs
      around 60 F. The next trip was a 24 mile hike in the Columbia River
      Gorge area in Oregon. I stayed entirely on trials during this trip.
      Temperatures were lows in the mid 40's F (4 C) to mid 50's F (10C).
      The third longer outing was another approximately 16 mile trip (25.8
      km) again into the Alpine Lake Wilderness. On this trip I
      encountered snow at around 3500 ft and logged about 7 miles in 1 to
      3 inches (2.5 to 7.6 cm) of snow during the trip. Temperatures
      ranged from mid 30's F (0 C) to the upper 40's F (4C).

      I also used the GatrGards while doing some local hiking in the
      Cascades near my house in the Cascade Foothills and Issaquah Alps
      areas. Likewise, I have also used them for trail running. I
      completed a 50km (31 miles) trail run (The North Face Challenge)
      while using the GatrGards and also have probably logged an
      additional 50 + miles of trail running (80 km) during the testing
      period.

      Field Performance:
      Overall I have been very pleased with the performance of the
      GatrGards. During the testing period I have used them exclusively
      with my Outdoor Research Flex-Tex Trail Gaiters. My main shoes for
      the purposes of this test have been Montrail Hardrock trail
      runners.

      The GatrGards have held up quite well during the testing period.
      The nylon cord, I have found to be very durable. Even after
      spending several hours scrambling on granite and traversing boulder
      fields the strap is not showing any major signs of wear and tear.
      One of the people who accompanied me on this particular trip
      actually had both of his gaiter straps (a standard small nylon cord)
      break. The Shock cords remain super stretchy and flexible on both
      pairs. One of my concerns with the shock cords was that the ends
      were not sealed via open flame. However I have not had any issues
      with the cords beginning to unravel or shred. I did mange to lose a
      toggle however. I somehow caught the strap on a stick and sent the
      toggle flying. I simply replaced it with an extra toggle that I
      own. For all of the wear and tear especially on granite, the
      GatrGards have proven to be quite durable.

      Due to the flat nylon surface of the strap, the shock cords and the
      toggle system, I have found it very easy to adjust and tighten the
      GatrGards to keep my gaiters snug around my shoes. I have
      experienced very little movement and problems that need adjusting in
      the field while using them. I have had some issues with what I call
      the "wing effect" where the excess shock cord straps that are past
      the toggle do not stay tucked underneath my gaiters. On
      MountainAbout's website, it shows pictures of how to tuck in the
      access shock cord; however I just can't seem to get the cords to
      stay in this manner. This causes them to actually stick straight out
      and give my feet the appearance of wings. This is not a concern for
      the outside strap, but does pose to be a bit of an annoyance with
      the inner strap. As the wing can be stepped on and cause a potential
      fall or slip. I have not experienced any issues with the "wings"
      causing me to fall, however I have stepped on the cords a couple of
      times. I probably will end of shortening the inner strap to
      eliminate this issue and keep less shock cord exposed on the inside
      of my foot.

      Field Summary:
      Overall a great product. Often times I have omitted taking gaiters
      on trips of mine as I grow tired of constant adjustments and having
      to duct tape the straps back together after they break. The
      GatrGards have eliminated these types of issues and allowed me to
      use gaiters to help protect my feet from wetness and dirt. The
      product so far has been very easy to put on and adjust and appears
      to be very durable.

      Items for Continued Testing:
      I was able to use the GatrGards in the snow and I did notice that
      the nylon strap started to accumulate some snow. This balling
      effect can be quite an annoyance during a trip. I will be looking to
      monitor if this is something that can be expected to occur with
      GatrGards or was it just a one time event that occurred due to the
      ideal weather conditions. I also intend on using them on some more
      scree and boulder fields to further look at the products
      durability.

      Field Report Likes and Dislikes:

      Likes: It really does keep my gaiters on and tight.

      Dislikes: The "wing" effect

      This concludes my Initial Report; please check back in two months
      for my long-term report. Thank you to both BackPackGearTest and to
      MountainAbout for this fantastic opportunity to test the GatrGards.
    • becki_s19
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2007
        David-

        Looks like you gave them qite a workout! Just a general note, next
        time please go through your repprt and double check that you have all
        conversions. Also, when doing conversions for generalities (mid
        40's), make sure that you enter in 45 as the temperature to convert
        from.

        One you make the corrections, you're good to upload.

        Becky S

        > Field Conditions and Locations:
        > I have used GatrGards on numerous hiking trips and trail running
        > during the two month testing period. Three of my trips during this
        > period were longer outings. The first was a 16 mile (25.8 km) hike
        > in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in Washington. The trip included
        > some 3rd to fourth class scrambling on Kaletan Peak. The Peak is
        > made up of Granite and included a moving through boulder and scree
        > fields both on the ascent and the descent of the peak. During the
        > trip I experienced low temperatures of around 40 F (4 C) and highs
        > around 60 F.
        Edit:add 16 C

        The next trip was a 24 mile
        Edit: 39 Km

        hike in the Columbia River
        > Gorge area in Oregon. I stayed entirely on trials during this
        trip.
        > Temperatures were lows in the mid 40's F (4 C) to mid 50's F
        (10C).
        Edit: actually 7C for mid 40s, 13C for mid 50s

        > The third longer outing was another approximately 16 mile trip
        (25.8
        > km) again into the Alpine Lake Wilderness. On this trip I
        > encountered snow at around 3500 ft and logged about 7 miles
        Edit: 1067 M, 11 km

        in 1 to
        > 3 inches (2.5 to 7.6 cm) of snow during the trip. Temperatures
        > ranged from mid 30's F (0 C) to the upper 40's F (4C).
        Edit: 2C, 9C if you use 48 to represent high 40s.

        > I also used the GatrGards while doing some local hiking in the
        > Cascades near my house in the Cascade Foothills and Issaquah Alps
        > areas. Likewise, I have also used them for trail running. I
        > completed a 50km (31 miles) trail run (The North Face Challenge)
        > while using the GatrGards and also have probably logged an
        > additional 50 + miles of trail running (80 km) during the testing
        > period.
        Comment: it's best to have the conversion right after the mileage.

        > break. The Shock cords remain super stretchy and flexible on both
        edit: you don't need to capatilize "shock"

        > the toggle do not stay tucked underneath my gaiters. On
        > MountainAbout's website, it shows pictures of how to tuck in the
        > access shock cord;
        Edit: I think you're looking for 'excess' shock cord

        however I just can't seem to get the cords to
        > stay in this manner. This causes them to actually stick straight
        out
        > and give my feet the appearance of wings. This is not a concern
        for
        > the outside strap, but does pose to be a bit of an annoyance with
        > the inner strap. As the wing can be stepped on and cause a
        potential
        edit: It looks like autocorrect gave you a sentence fragmet- it looks
        like you put in a period instead of a commma.. it should probably
        read: inner strap, as the wing

        > fall or slip. I have not experienced any issues with the "wings"
        > causing me to fall, however I have stepped on the cords a couple of
        > times. I probably will end of shortening the inner strap to
        > eliminate this issue and keep less shock cord exposed on the inside
        > of my foot.
        edit: I think you meant "end up shortening"
      • deheyting
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
          The changes have been made and the file has been uploaded to its
          home. Thanks Becky

          David

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "becki_s19"