RE: [backpackgeartesters] Application: Osprey Talon 33 daypack

  • Brett Cook
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
      Application to test Osprey Talon 33 Daypack

      I have read and will comply with the requirements of Chapter 5 (v. 0609) of
      the BackpackGearTest.org. I have also submitted a signed Tester Agreement.

      Date: 1 Nov 2007

      Closing Date: 9 Nov 2007

      Name: Brett Cook
      Age: 47
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.5 m)
      Weight: 180 lbs (82 kg)
      Email address: brett@...

      Location: Tucson, AZ

      Backpacking background:

      I've been backpacking since 1978. I have covered lots of different types of
      terrain, from desert to glaciers, knife-edged ridgelines, deep, wet canyons
      and triple-canopy jungle. My hikes average 8-10 mi per day, occasionally
      longer. I hike most weekends. My last trip was four days in the Grand
      Canyon, following the Tonto Plateau.
      I've carried a variety of packs; frameless, external and internal frame of
      varying sizes.
      This pack is the perfect size (2000 cu in or 33 l) for my general purpose
      use; day hikes carrying some climbing gear and rope or just food and water.

      My current pack, a Lowe Alpine Vision 40, has seen better days and I need to
      replace it.
      I am looking for a versatile technical pack that can hold my gear and carry
      it without sagging. I like a pack that is comfortable and capable of
      carrying the load on the hips.
      My hikes range in distance from 5-15 miles (8-24 km) in mostly warm - hot
      temperatures and need to be able to hold a 3 l (100 oz) bladder.

      The terrain in Tucson ranges from 2000 to 9200 ft elevation (610 - 2804 m).
      The valley floor is generally cactus and hot sand and the mountain tops are
      covered with Ponderosa Pine. There's even snow occasionally during the
      winter.

      Style: I started out with heavy gear and have slowly moved more to the light
      side. Even though I appreciate light weight, I want gear that is dependable,
      functional, and comfortable.

      Field information

      1. Location or locations where I propose to test the gear:

      * Desert Floor
      * Dry canyon bottoms
      * Steep scrambles up some local peaks.
      * Ridge walking in the Santa Catalina's and Santa Rita's

      2. Description of locations:

      1. The desert floor is classified as scrub thorn. It's a combination of
      2. cactus (Prickly Pear and Cholla), brush (cat-claw), shrubs
      (Creosote), and
      3. desert trees (Mesquite, Palo Verde, Iron Wood).
      4. The canyons in the area vary from sandy to brush-filled. Some
      bushwhacking is required.
      5. Most of the trails climbing the mountains in the area are steep,
      6. narrow and rocky. Trees are low and prickly. Large packs with lots
      of pockets and external straps snag easily.
      7. Ridge tops can be either rocky or soft dirt with Ponderosa Pine,
      Manzanita, Juniper and Aspen. A smooth profile pack is an advantage here
      too, as some bushwhacking is necessary.

      3. I plan to test the pack in the fall and winter, so I expect
      cooler temperatures; typically between 40 F (4 C) and 90 F (32 C).
      Good airflow is important.

      4. Style of hiking I plan to do during the test: I will use the pack on long
      and short day hikes, sometimes carrying extra clothing or gear. Total weight
      shouldn't exceed 30 lbs (13.6 kg). Bushwhacking and scrambling require a
      pack that keeps the load close to the body to avoid snagging and being
      thrown off balance.

      5. Test plan or strategy:

      I will test the pack most weekends with a variety of loads, ranging from
      10-30 lbs (4.5-13.6 kg), carrying a water bladder, food and gear. I will see
      how easily it carries a rope, hiking poles, etc on hikes up steep, rocky
      slopes and long day hikes.

      2. I'm interested to find out:
      * Will the frame sheet will hold the weight without slumping?
      * Is it able to transfer the load to the hips?
      * Are the shoulder pads comfortable?
      * How durable is the zipper?

      3. Over the course of four months, I should be able to see how well the pack
      is made and how functional it is.

      Previously written reports

      I've written two Owner Reviews:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ropewalker