RE: [backpackgeartesters] Re: TEST CALL REMINDER! Big Sky Summit Shelter

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
      IF they will ship a crate of snow with the tent, I will go ahead and apply.
      Otherwise I can't promise snow, Texas just ain't like that ;)

      TV
    • Jo Ann Moffi
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
        On 11/1/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

        > well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
        > part is keeping some from applying.
        >
        > "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected to
        > withstand serious winter storms."

        Quite possibly. I would have thought though, that we'd have plenty of
        winter campers out there that could apply for this one. At least more
        than one!

        And since the manufacturer is supplying the winter components, we
        kinda have to test it in snow! ;)

        Jo Ann
      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
          Gotta agree with coy here. Kindof hard to justify applying when we only got 2 or 3 inches of snow last year.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
            <jomoffi@...> wrote:

            > On 11/1/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
            > > part is keeping some from applying.
            > >
            > > "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected
            > > withstand serious winter storms."
            > >

            > Quite possibly. I would have thought though, that we'd have plenty
            of winter campers out there that could apply for this one. At least
            more than one!

            yep, or we couldn't test snowshoes.

            > And since the manufacturer is supplying the winter components, we
            > kinda have to test it in snow! ;)

            About the only winter component that needs snow is the snow anchors.
            From this statement I would think it might be a good choice for just
            cold rainy weather.

            WinterLite™ rated: Suitable for camping in snow and cold weather,
            and capable of withstanding moderate wind and snow loads. Please note
            that this shelter is not "Mountain", "Alpine", or "Expedition" rated
            and is NOT intended for use in extreme weather conditions.

            So, snow testers should get first consideration...but unlike
            snowshoes, maybe not as critical to the test. That would open up the
            field a little. It is a nice looking tent. I love the looks of
            those double doors.

            Maybe you will get more apps from those with snow and it won't
            matter.

            Coy Boy
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
              Do snow anchors work on sandy places, like beaches and sand bars?

              TV
            • jmoffi_ca
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                Snow anchors actually work BETTER in sand. It is the extra weight of
                the sand. I have had to put rocks into my snow anchors when the snow
                was not enough. I have since got a full set of ICE anchors, work great
                but wow what a lot of extra weight.

                Josh Moffi

                "Thomas Vickers" wrote:

                > Do snow anchors work on sandy places, like beaches and sand bars?
                >
                > TV

              • Ryan L. Christensen
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Jo Ann,

                  If I could get this test in before the Coleman Helios X2 ships in
                  February I would apply. Otherwise, I will have to pass, as I have
                  already been selected to test a shelter.

                  Ryan
                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                    > Do snow anchors work on sandy places, like beaches and sand bars?

                    This would be an excellent topic to post in the BackpackingTalk list.

                    With a change of subject line, of course.

                    Shane
                    List Admin
                  • Amanda Tikkanen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...>
                      wrote:

                      > well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
                      > part is keeping some from applying.
                      >
                      > "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected to
                      > withstand serious winter storms."
                      >
                      > Coy Boy

                      Booger. Just moved to a place with significant snowfall once every
                      three years or so. Ice-yes. Snow-not so much.

                      Amanda Tikkanen & Beau
                      http://www.uberpest.com
                    • Andy Mytys
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                        Does BGT have an ethical standard when it comes to dealing with
                        manufacturers? The web is filled with posts about customer service
                        issues with this company (6 mos, 12 mos, even 18 mos wait times, no
                        refunds, etc).

                        I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                        don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                        possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                        a result of a positive technical review of a product.

                        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C." <thefishguy@...>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                          > I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                          > don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                          > possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                          > a result of a positive technical review of a product.

                          We can only report on our actual experiences with the product itself, and
                          any actual interaction between the tester and the company. Hearsay isn't
                          part of the reporting process.

                          The Moderators (and Jerry) do make decisions not to test with various
                          companies for various reasons, but these discussions are not always made
                          public. There is an ethical standard, but I would be hard pressed to define
                          it, since these decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

                          Shane
                          BGT Moderator
                        • Andy Mytys
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                            Great. I will assume then that this manufacture was reviewed or, if
                            the "reputation" was not known, it will be reviewed before proceeding.

                            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                            <shane@...> wrote:

                            > > I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                            > > don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                            > > possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                            > > a result of a positive technical review of a product.
                            >
                            > We can only report on our actual experiences with the product
                            itself, and
                            > any actual interaction between the tester and the company. Hearsay
                            isn't
                            > part of the reporting process.
                            >
                            > The Moderators (and Jerry) do make decisions not to test with various
                            > companies for various reasons, but these discussions are not always
                            made
                            > public. There is an ethical standard, but I would be hard pressed
                            to define
                            > it, since these decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.
                            >
                            > Shane
                            > BGT Moderator

                          • Jo Ann Moffi
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                              Coy wrote:

                              > About the only winter component that needs snow is the snow anchors.
                              > From this statement I would think it might be a good choice for just
                              > cold rainy weather.
                              >
                              > WinterLite™ rated: Suitable for camping in snow and cold weather,
                              > and capable of withstanding moderate wind and snow loads. Please note
                              > that this shelter is not "Mountain", "Alpine", or "Expedition" rated
                              > and is NOT intended for use in extreme weather conditions.
                              >
                              > So, snow testers should get first consideration...but unlike
                              > snowshoes, maybe not as critical to the test. That would open up the
                              > field a little. It is a nice looking tent. I love the looks of
                              > those double doors.
                              >
                              > Maybe you will get more apps from those with snow and it won't
                              > matter.

                              One could always apply away and see what happens too. :)

                              Jo Ann
                            • rayestrella1
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Great. I will assume then that this manufacture was reviewed or, if
                                > the "reputation" was not known, it will be reviewed before
                                > proceeding.

                                Hi Andy,

                                We are supposed to avoid projection and speculation. If you want to
                                test the tent, apply, get picked and do so. If there are problems
                                report on the ones you experience. There is not point in bringing up
                                the past issues in regards to a current item, than there is doing
                                comparisons. Another thing we are not supposed to do…

                                Please do not influence the applications and way the testers may look
                                at it. I tactfully mentioned it with a positive slant in my own
                                application.

                                This is not the time or place to do it and keep a non-prejudiced test
                                in my opinion.

                                Ray
                              • Brian Tannehill
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                  > Please do not influence the applications and way the testers may look
                                  > at it. I tactfully mentioned it with a positive slant in my own
                                  > application.

                                  While I agree with you on not influencing possible apps, and have been
                                  down that road before, I believe that Jerry finally stepped in and
                                  said he didnt care. I cant find the post on it but I think it was
                                  about 6 months ago.

                                  Brian
                                • Ralph Ditton
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                    Andy,

                                    I ordered some replacement tent poles from Bob Molen of Big Sky in August
                                    and they were delivered the following week without any dramas. I found Bob
                                    to be very helpful with my queries.

                                    Ralph

                                    _____

                                    Does BGT have an ethical standard when it comes to dealing with
                                    manufacturers? The web is filled with posts about customer service
                                    issues with this company (6 mos, 12 mos, even 18 mos wait times, no
                                    refunds, etc).

                                    I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                                    don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                                    possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                                    a result of a positive technical review of a product.

                                    --- In backpackgeartesters <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>