RE: [backpackgeartesters] Re: TEST CALL REMINDER! Big Sky Summit Shelter

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
      IF they will ship a crate of snow with the tent, I will go ahead and apply.
      Otherwise I can't promise snow, Texas just ain't like that ;)

      TV
    • Mike C.
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2007
        If I weren't testing the Cirque 2, I'd be there . . . this looks like
        a sweet system.

        Mike C.

        > I've only received one application for this one so far. Come on guys
        > and gals, this is a fantastic system! The manufacturer is supplying
        > both the summer and winter components plus a load of other extras.
        > These guys have tested with us before, so lets not disappoint them!
      • Jo Ann Moffi
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
          On 11/1/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

          > well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
          > part is keeping some from applying.
          >
          > "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected to
          > withstand serious winter storms."

          Quite possibly. I would have thought though, that we'd have plenty of
          winter campers out there that could apply for this one. At least more
          than one!

          And since the manufacturer is supplying the winter components, we
          kinda have to test it in snow! ;)

          Jo Ann
        • Andrew Buskov
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
            Gotta agree with coy here. Kindof hard to justify applying when we only got 2 or 3 inches of snow last year.

            well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
            part is keeping some from applying.

            "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected to
            withstand serious winter storms."

            Coy Boy

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Ann Moffi"
            <jomoffi@...> wrote:

            > I've only received one application for this one so far. Come on guys
            > and gals, this is a fantastic system! The manufacturer is supplying
            > both the summer and winter components plus a load of other extras.
            > These guys have tested with us before, so lets not disappoint them!
            >
            > Here is the original call again:
            >
            > Big Sky International has asked BGT to give three lucky testers the
            > opportunity to test their Big Sky Summit Shelter!
            >
            > Big Sky's claim for this one: 'The most versatile light weight full
            > size, full featured freestanding shelter in the world... perfect for
            > the lightweight backpacker for all seasons!'
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/3ygqh2
            >
            > Each tester will receive:
            > * Convertible 2P Winter Shell
            > * Convertible 2P Summer AND Winter Interiors
            > * Set of 3 HD Aluminum poles
            > * "X" cord
            > * Tubular compression bag
            > * 6 SnoAnchors
            >
            > This looks like one very sweet system! You will need to be able to
            > test in snow, but it's not expected to withstand serious winter
            > storms.
            >
            > US Only.
            > Newbie Limit Applies.
            > Chuck Carnes is the Moderator.
            > Call will close Tuesday November 6th at midnight.
            >
            > Please put 'Big Sky Summit Shelter' in the subject line of your
            application.

            > Jo Ann

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
              <jomoffi@...> wrote:

              > On 11/1/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
              > > part is keeping some from applying.
              > >
              > > "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected
              > > withstand serious winter storms."
              > >

              > Quite possibly. I would have thought though, that we'd have plenty
              of winter campers out there that could apply for this one. At least
              more than one!

              yep, or we couldn't test snowshoes.

              > And since the manufacturer is supplying the winter components, we
              > kinda have to test it in snow! ;)

              About the only winter component that needs snow is the snow anchors.
              From this statement I would think it might be a good choice for just
              cold rainy weather.

              WinterLite™ rated: Suitable for camping in snow and cold weather,
              and capable of withstanding moderate wind and snow loads. Please note
              that this shelter is not "Mountain", "Alpine", or "Expedition" rated
              and is NOT intended for use in extreme weather conditions.

              So, snow testers should get first consideration...but unlike
              snowshoes, maybe not as critical to the test. That would open up the
              field a little. It is a nice looking tent. I love the looks of
              those double doors.

              Maybe you will get more apps from those with snow and it won't
              matter.

              Coy Boy
            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                Do snow anchors work on sandy places, like beaches and sand bars?

                TV
              • jmoffi_ca
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Snow anchors actually work BETTER in sand. It is the extra weight of
                  the sand. I have had to put rocks into my snow anchors when the snow
                  was not enough. I have since got a full set of ICE anchors, work great
                  but wow what a lot of extra weight.

                  Josh Moffi

                  "Thomas Vickers" wrote:

                  > Do snow anchors work on sandy places, like beaches and sand bars?
                  >
                  > TV

                • Ryan L. Christensen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Jo Ann,

                    If I could get this test in before the Coleman Helios X2 ships in
                    February I would apply. Otherwise, I will have to pass, as I have
                    already been selected to test a shelter.

                    Ryan
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                      > Do snow anchors work on sandy places, like beaches and sand bars?

                      This would be an excellent topic to post in the BackpackingTalk list.

                      With a change of subject line, of course.

                      Shane
                      List Admin
                    • Amanda Tikkanen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...>
                        wrote:

                        > well besides the US only (dems da breaks on some items) maybe this
                        > part is keeping some from applying.
                        >
                        > "You will need to be able to test in snow, but it's not expected to
                        > withstand serious winter storms."
                        >
                        > Coy Boy

                        Booger. Just moved to a place with significant snowfall once every
                        three years or so. Ice-yes. Snow-not so much.

                        Amanda Tikkanen & Beau
                        http://www.uberpest.com
                      • Andy Mytys
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                          Does BGT have an ethical standard when it comes to dealing with
                          manufacturers? The web is filled with posts about customer service
                          issues with this company (6 mos, 12 mos, even 18 mos wait times, no
                          refunds, etc).

                          I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                          don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                          possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                          a result of a positive technical review of a product.

                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C." <thefishguy@...>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                            > I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                            > don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                            > possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                            > a result of a positive technical review of a product.

                            We can only report on our actual experiences with the product itself, and
                            any actual interaction between the tester and the company. Hearsay isn't
                            part of the reporting process.

                            The Moderators (and Jerry) do make decisions not to test with various
                            companies for various reasons, but these discussions are not always made
                            public. There is an ethical standard, but I would be hard pressed to define
                            it, since these decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

                            Shane
                            BGT Moderator
                          • Andy Mytys
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                              Great. I will assume then that this manufacture was reviewed or, if
                              the "reputation" was not known, it will be reviewed before proceeding.

                              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                              <shane@...> wrote:

                              > > I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                              > > don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                              > > possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                              > > a result of a positive technical review of a product.
                              >
                              > We can only report on our actual experiences with the product
                              itself, and
                              > any actual interaction between the tester and the company. Hearsay
                              isn't
                              > part of the reporting process.
                              >
                              > The Moderators (and Jerry) do make decisions not to test with various
                              > companies for various reasons, but these discussions are not always
                              made
                              > public. There is an ethical standard, but I would be hard pressed
                              to define
                              > it, since these decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.
                              >
                              > Shane
                              > BGT Moderator

                            • Jo Ann Moffi
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                Coy wrote:

                                > About the only winter component that needs snow is the snow anchors.
                                > From this statement I would think it might be a good choice for just
                                > cold rainy weather.
                                >
                                > WinterLite™ rated: Suitable for camping in snow and cold weather,
                                > and capable of withstanding moderate wind and snow loads. Please note
                                > that this shelter is not "Mountain", "Alpine", or "Expedition" rated
                                > and is NOT intended for use in extreme weather conditions.
                                >
                                > So, snow testers should get first consideration...but unlike
                                > snowshoes, maybe not as critical to the test. That would open up the
                                > field a little. It is a nice looking tent. I love the looks of
                                > those double doors.
                                >
                                > Maybe you will get more apps from those with snow and it won't
                                > matter.

                                One could always apply away and see what happens too. :)

                                Jo Ann
                              • rayestrella1
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Great. I will assume then that this manufacture was reviewed or, if
                                  > the "reputation" was not known, it will be reviewed before
                                  > proceeding.

                                  Hi Andy,

                                  We are supposed to avoid projection and speculation. If you want to
                                  test the tent, apply, get picked and do so. If there are problems
                                  report on the ones you experience. There is not point in bringing up
                                  the past issues in regards to a current item, than there is doing
                                  comparisons. Another thing we are not supposed to do…

                                  Please do not influence the applications and way the testers may look
                                  at it. I tactfully mentioned it with a positive slant in my own
                                  application.

                                  This is not the time or place to do it and keep a non-prejudiced test
                                  in my opinion.

                                  Ray
                                • Brian Tannehill
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                    > Please do not influence the applications and way the testers may look
                                    > at it. I tactfully mentioned it with a positive slant in my own
                                    > application.

                                    While I agree with you on not influencing possible apps, and have been
                                    down that road before, I believe that Jerry finally stepped in and
                                    said he didnt care. I cant find the post on it but I think it was
                                    about 6 months ago.

                                    Brian
                                  • Ralph Ditton
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                                      Andy,

                                      I ordered some replacement tent poles from Bob Molen of Big Sky in August
                                      and they were delivered the following week without any dramas. I found Bob
                                      to be very helpful with my queries.

                                      Ralph

                                      _____

                                      Does BGT have an ethical standard when it comes to dealing with
                                      manufacturers? The web is filled with posts about customer service
                                      issues with this company (6 mos, 12 mos, even 18 mos wait times, no
                                      refunds, etc).

                                      I don't know if these issues have been resolved or not. However, I
                                      don't think that BGT should be reviewing gear if there's a strong
                                      possibility that our readers will fall into a customer-service mess as
                                      a result of a positive technical review of a product.

                                      --- In backpackgeartesters <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>