Application – Osprey Talon 33 daypack - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      Application – Osprey Talon 33 daypack - Ed Morse

      Please accept my application to test the Osprey Talon 33 daypack. I
      have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest
      bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6
      and the new test format. I have been trying to keep up with new
      procedures from daily e-mails. I have been notified that my tester
      agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse
      Age: 69
      Gender: male
      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)
      Weight: 143 lb (65 kg)
      Torso pack size: 18 in (46 cm)
      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      Location: Northwest Lower Michigan, U.S.
      Date: November 1, 2007

      Backpacking background:
      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan,
      along the shore of Lake Superior. Gear was cheap, heavy and painful.
      Starting pack weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no
      water. Since the first trip I have backpacked in Michigan, Maine, New
      Hampshire and Pennsylvania. After about 12 years I started slowly
      reducing my pack weight. The last trip on Isle Royale my pack,
      including food and 3 qt (2.7 kg) of water was 37 lb (17 kg) for 10
      days when I started walking. I keep trying new things to see what
      really works.

      I do NOT backpack when there is snow on the ground. I will be hiking,
      skiing or snow shoeing about every other day all winter. Which
      activity I do that day depends on the amount and kind of snow cover.
      Whenever I'm in the woods I carry a few items just for fun and
      testing: G.P.S. for daily mileage, camera for pictures, and a
      thermometer to record daily (and nightly) temperatures. Extra warm
      clothes, food and a headlamp are required for even day outings in the
      winter.
      I am also reviewing several new pieces of gear to do Owner Reviews
      next year. Basic gear might change with each trip until I decide what
      combination works best for me (this will probably never happen).
      Since I'm retired I can be out almost whenever I get the urge to go.
      Most short trips will be planned the day before I go. This is easy
      since I help maintain (with 2 different NCTA Chapters) over 180 mi
      (290 km) of the North Country Trail (NCT).

      Field information:

      Within 50 mi (81 Km) of where I live are the Manistee National
      Forest, the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, 3 State Parks and
      3 State Forests. All except one State Park have trails for hiking and
      skiing and many acres of dunes and forests for off trail travel.
      Backpacking is available in the Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Manistee
      National Forest and all the State Forests.

      Last winter in this area temperatures were 10 to 20 F (5 to 11 C)
      above normal until the last week of January when they dropped back to
      (and much below) normal levels.
      We might get rain or frost any day of the year in northern Michigan.
      The months of September, October and November are often rainy. Any
      time after early October might bring snow instead of (or in addition
      to) rain.
      Average temperatures for the winter in this area: November H 44 F / L
      31 F, December H 32 F (0 C) / L 21 F (-6 C), January H 27 F (-3 C) /
      L 14 F (-10 C), February H 30 F (-1 C) / L 14 F (-10 C), March H 40 F
      (4 C) / L 22 F (-6 C).

      Test plan:

      I expect that all testing will be in nearby State and National
      forests.
      I think this pack is just what I need for the next 5 months. Reading
      the description leads me to think this pack should work very well for
      my fall, winter and spring activities.

      I have started backpacking again, after six years of only day hikes.
      Nearby trips have been in the nearby Manistee National Forest (MNF),
      generally two nights each time to make sure the gear all works. The
      Manistee National Forest is in north central Lower Michigan. The Pere
      Marquette State Forest is north and east of the MNF, with more good
      trails for backpacking and skiing.

      I do not expect to be using the Osprey Talon 33 daypack for any
      backpacking during the testing period. I would definitely wear it for
      lots of day hiking, trailwork, skiing and some snowshoeing.

      During the test period I will answer the following questions:

      How will the Osprey Talon 33 daypack fit me with the Torso adjustable
      harness?
      Will the pack carry all extra gear and clothes I want for winter
      activities?
      Are the hip belt pockets big enough to carry my lunch?
      Will the pack carry my gear for several months of frequent hiking,
      trailwork, skiing and snowshoeing?
      I will want to know how comfortable I am climbing sand dunes with
      snowshoes or going through the woods on bushwhacking skis.
      Will the Airscape backpanel really keep my back cooler?
      How durable is the Osprey Talon 33 daypack?
      Will the Osprey Talon 33 daypack allow me to carry camera and GPS
      fastened to the shoulder straps?
      Will the Front and side stretch woven pockets actually stretch to
      accommodate more gear?
      If I counted right, there are 7 external pockets. How useful are all
      these pockets?
      Will they allow better organization of all the little stuff I want
      handy?
      The External Hydration Compartment is an idea way past due. If
      selected I will certainly comment on this feature. I wish I had this
      feature on my backpack.

      In addition to the above questions I am sure I will think of more
      questions as I use the Osprey Talon 33 daypack. I will describe my
      experiences with the Osprey Talon 33 daypack, including any problems
      I find. I will also include several pictures, both to show little
      details and also to show the Osprey Talon 33 daypack in various
      activities.

      Thank you for considering my application to test the Osprey Talon 33
      daypack.

      If the selection committee thinks my winter activities will
      adequately test the pack then I would be pleased to be selected. On
      the other hand, if not selected I will consider that my intended
      activities would not be an adequate test.
      The Osprey Talon 33 daypack does appear to be made for active hiking,
      skiing and snowshoeing.

      If selected I think I would need a size Small/medium. I would prefer
      the color acid green, but spicy chili would be just as good and
      nearly a match the Parka I'm testing.

      Previously written reports: I have recently completed the LTR for the
      Gregory Z 55 pack.
      I am presently working on two test series; Optimus Stella stove and
      Columbia Dub Mountain Parka. My Initial Report for the Columbia Dub
      Mountain Parka has been submitted. My LTR for the Optimus Stella
      stove is in progress. I have just received the Kamik Viper boots and
      the Hot Chillies Micro-Elite Chamois.
      I have, of course, written two required Owner Reviews; Zamberlan
      hiking boots and Asolo trail shoes.
      Tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following
      location:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/slosteppin/