LTR - Kelty Light Year 45 3D - Adam Fisher

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
      Sorry for the delay. I thought I had posted it but I guess I had an
      error and didn't see it.

      Here is the test HTML
      http://tinyurl.com/2dro43

      Here's the LTR

      LTR - Kelty Light Year 45 3D - Adam Fisher

      Long Term Report

      Review Date: October 30, 2007

      Field Conditions:

      During the time remaining in this test, I used the Kelty Light Year 45
      3D sleeping bag for an additional two nights in the Massachusetts
      area. For both nights the sleeping bag was used inside a Big Agnes
      Parkview tent without any sort of pad underneath. During the night my
      sleepwear would range from boxers to sweat pants depending on the
      outside temperature. Overnight temperatures got down to approximately
      50 F (10 C). Both nights ended up being dry with a slight breeze.

      Review:

      Overall I have been very impressed with this sleeping bag. I want to
      use this final section of the test review to discuss my overall
      impression with the sleeping bags performance, durability, and
      maintainability.

      The Kelty Light Year 45 3D sleeping bag's performance has been spot on
      throughout the test period. During field tests the low temperature
      stayed within the bag's acceptable limits and when the temperature did
      drop on the colder nights the bag kept me comfortable and warm. When
      bedding down for the night, the sleeping bag came out of its
      compression sack and quickly lofted back into its original shape. The
      bag was easy to get into once I got used to how the different closures
      worked. When I was done with the bag in the morning getting out was
      quick and painless and I was very impressed with how easily I was able
      to get it quickly back into its compression sack. Once it was in the
      small compression sack I was able to throw it into my pack and really
      didn't notice its weight at all. Also, when in its compression sack,
      the bag is so small it easily fits into my pack amongst my other
      equipment. One small problem I did have was with the bag while
      sleeping. After getting into sleeping bag I noticed that the sleeping
      bag was a little snug around my shoulders once it is all zipped up.
      When I say snug I do not mean that it is cutting off circulation. I
      can still turn around in the bag and move my hand up to scratch my
      nose, etc. I probably have an extra 4 in (10 cm) or so in the
      circumference. The tightness does not keep me awake or hamper my sleep
      but if you are someone who is large and likes a lot of freedom and
      room while sleeping this is something you should watch for.

      The Kelty Light Year 45 3D sleeping bag's durability also got good
      marks in my book. Recently I gave the bag a very close inspection and
      I didn't notice any problems with any premature wear anywhere on the
      bag. This surprised me because I used this bag directly on the floor
      of my tent without a pad. I also wanted to test how well the bag did
      with some abuse so for one of my trips I left the bag out of its
      compression sack and shoved it in my pack with everything else. After
      the long hike and with the rest of my equipment banging around inside
      the pack I gave the bag a close inspection and did not see any
      problems except for a few dirty smudges. Other then a little dirt here
      and there this bag, including all the zippers, Velcro, and attachment
      points, is still performing and looking like new.

      The maintenance for this sleeping bag is as problem-free as its usage.
      The bag ended up picking up a little dirt during its use and was
      washed in a standard home washing machine. The washing machine I used
      was normal sized and I had no problems at all getting the bag clean. I
      used a low temperature setting on the electric dryer and the bag came
      out looking like new. I tossed the bag and its compression sack in the
      large storage sack to await its next use.

      I also wanted to mention the overall design of the Kelty Light Year 45
      3D sleeping bag. The one thing I thought was very good about the
      design how easily I could get myself into and out of the bag. The
      first couple time it was a like tricky but once I had done it a few
      times it was a cinch. My only compliant is that I wish the bag had a
      full length zipper along its length that would make it a little easier
      to get in and out. Also it would allow it to be opened fully on a hot
      summer night. With the addition of the full length it would also allow
      the bag to connect with another similar sleeping bag. The last item is
      not a big deal, just a preference my wife has when we camp together.

      Pros
      • Comfortable
      • Super lightweight and small
      • Easily cleaned
      • Well made

      Cons
      • Even the larger size is a little tight around my shoulders.
      • I wish the sleeping bag's zipper would open the full length of the bag.

      Summary

      This bag is very impressive. Very rarely, as a large guy, can I find a
      sleeping bag that I can comfortable sleep in. The bag's sizing is not
      ideal but it is very close and I can still use it. This bag now has a
      permanent spot in my standard late spring, summer, early fall
      equipment list.

      I want to thanks Kelty and BackPackGearTest for letting me test the
      Light Year 45 3D!
    • Mark Wood
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2007
        Adam,

        Here are your official edits for your Kelty Light Year 45. The edits
        follow the format outlined in the bylaws.

        Great report series and I look forward to working with you again!

        Mark Wood
        Monitor - Kelty Light Year 45 3D

        ---------> Begin Edits

        > LTR - Kelty Light Year 45 3D - Adam Fisher
        >
        > Long Term Report
        >
        > Review Date: October 30, 2007

        One small problem I did have was with the bag while
        > sleeping. After getting into sleeping bag I noticed that the sleeping
        > bag was a little snug around my shoulders once it is all zipped up.

        EDIT> "After getting into sleeping bag..." I think you missed the word
        "the" here.

        > When I say snug I do not mean that it is cutting off circulation. I
        > can still turn around in the bag and move my hand up to scratch my
        > nose, etc. I probably have an extra 4 in (10 cm) or so in the
        > circumference. The tightness does not keep me awake or hamper my sleep
        > but if you are someone who is large and likes a lot of freedom and
        > room while sleeping this is something you should watch for.
        >
        > The Kelty Light Year 45 3D sleeping bag's durability also got good
        > marks in my book. Recently I gave the bag a very close inspection and
        > I didn't notice any problems with any premature wear anywhere on the
        > bag. This surprised me because I used this bag directly on the floor
        > of my tent without a pad. I also wanted to test how well the bag did
        > with some abuse so for one of my trips I left the bag out of its
        > compression sack and shoved it in my pack with everything else. After
        > the long hike and with the rest of my equipment banging around inside
        > the pack I gave the bag a close inspection and did not see any
        > problems except for a few dirty smudges. Other then a little dirt here
        > and there this bag, including all the zippers, Velcro, and attachment
        > points, is still performing and looking like new.

        Edit> Unless it's actual Velcro brand fastener, I think we prefer
        "hook and loop fastener".

        > The maintenance for this sleeping bag is as problem-free as its usage.
        > The bag ended up picking up a little dirt during its use and was
        > washed in a standard home washing machine. The washing machine I used
        > was normal sized and I had no problems at all getting the bag clean. I
        > used a low temperature setting on the electric dryer and the bag came
        > out looking like new. I tossed the bag and its compression sack in the
        > large storage sack to await its next use.
        >
        > I also wanted to mention the overall design of the Kelty Light Year 45
        > 3D sleeping bag. The one thing I thought was very good about the
        > design how easily I could get myself into and out of the bag. The
        > first couple time it was a like tricky but once I had done it a few
        > times it was a cinch.

        EDIT> "...very good about the design how easily..." I think you wanted
        the word "was" in there. Eg. "...very good about the design _WAS_ how
        easily..."

        My only compliant is that I wish the bag had a
        > full length zipper along its length that would make it a little easier
        > to get in and out.

        Comment> Full length zipper along its length is a bit redundant.
        Simply "a full length zipper" would suffice.

        Also it would allow it to be opened fully on a hot
        > summer night. With the addition of the full length it would also allow
        > the bag to connect with another similar sleeping bag. The last item is
        > not a big deal, just a preference my wife has when we camp together.

        Edit> "With the addition of the full length it would" I would consider
        adding the word zipper to make it "With the addition of the full
        length zipper..."

        > Pros
        > • Comfortable
        > • Super lightweight and small
        > • Easily cleaned
        > • Well made
        >
        > Cons
        > • Even the larger size is a little tight around my shoulders.
        > • I wish the sleeping bag's zipper would open the full length of the
        bag.

        > Summary
        >
        > This bag is very impressive. Very rarely, as a large guy, can I find a
        > sleeping bag that I can comfortable sleep in.

        EDIT> "comfortable" should be "comfortably"