Revised Application to Test - Osprey Talon 33 Daypack - Kevin H

  • Kevin Hollingsworth
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      I am applying to test the Osprey Talon 33 Daypack
      I have read Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws V. 0609 (especially Chapter 5 & 6 which focus on test and report requirements) and agree to comply with all requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Kevin Hollingsworth
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’ 1” (1.9 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: kholling55@...
      City, State, Country: Williamsburg , Virginia . USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking and camping when I was in the Scouts. I spent 20 years in the military, which curtailed my personal outdoors adventures. While day-hiking, I normally carry a light load, a waist pack with mostly food and water and a few other things. On three to four day trips, I will carry a pack weighing about 45 to 50 lb (21 to 23 kg). I prefer to hike in the mountains. I have been hiking in Colorado (USA), Korea , Egypt , and most recently the Eastern part of the United States .

      Field Information:

      I am planning at least one or two day-hikes a month. I plan to complete the day-hikes in the following areas:

      Shenandoah National Park: The elevation should be around 3000 ft (920 m). The weather condition during the testing period will vary. During the fall and winter season the weather is usually wet, either drizzling or raining, with the occasional snow. The temperature ranges from 25 to 60 F (-4 to 15 C).

      I also will be day hiking in the local area. The weather conditions will be similar to Shenandoah National Park , but at sea level. The weather is usually wet, either drizzling or raining, with the occasional very light snow. The temperature ranges from 25 to 60 F (-4 to 15 C).

      During the Jan or Feb time frame, I also plan on taking at least one ski trip to West Virginia.

      Test Plan:

      For this test, I plan to use the Osprey Talon 33 Daypack on all my day-hikes and any ski trips that I take. I will also be using it on any short overnight trips I take with my family (hotel/family house). On my day-hike/ski trip, I normally carry food and water, a cook set w/stove and some clothes that I may need based on weather conditions. I will also be carrying other miscellaneous items, such as compass, GPS, headlight, etc. Normally, the max weight that I will be carry is 25 lbs (11 kg).

      I plan to evaluate and report on the specific items below and anything else that I discovery during the testing period:

      Comfort

      Is it comfortable to wear? Does it have adequate head space? Is the harness adjustable enough to fit with different type of clothing? How does the waist band feel? How well does the AirScape back panel keep moisture away from my back? How comfortable is the pack if you go outside the comfort zone weight?

      Load Control

      How does it feel with different types of load? How stable is the pack on different terrain? How will it feel when I ski with it?

      Functionality

      How easy is it to pack and unpack? Can I reach my water bottle without taking off the pack? How compatible is my water bladder? Will it fit in hydration compartment? How easy are the zippers to use? Will the zippers snag easily on the packs fabric? It looks like I strap on my trekking poles using the bungee tool tie-offs, is this true? Is the fabric water resistant or just the pocket zippers? How large and functional are the waist pockets? How big are the energy gel pockets on the straps? Can I fit energy bars inside? How easy is the Blinker patch to use?

      Durability

      How durable is the pack? Does it stain easy? How durable are the zippers? How durable are the strapping points and hardware? How durable is the harness? Will the harness rip or fray? Will the harness come apart from the pack? How easy is it to clean?

      I would like a large size pack.

      Test:

      Current Tests:
      GSI Halulite Boiler – LTR due 20 Nov 2007
      Montbell - UL Alpine Burrow #3 Bag – LTR due 8 Jan 2008
      Brunton Vapor AF Stove – Awaiting shipment
      GoLite Echo Jacket– Awaiting shipment

      Test Applications Currently under Consideration:
      None

      My reports and reviews can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kholling55

      My test statistic can be found at