Application: Brunton Vapor AF Stove Jenn K.

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007
      Please accept my application to test the Brunton Vapor AF Stove. I have read the Backpackgeartest.org Bylaws v. 0609, Chapter 5, the Appendices, and the BGT survival guide. I have a full understanding of the bylaws and I will follow them to the fullest extent. I am testing three items at this time and I do not foresee any difficulty testing this item if I am selected. I have never been late on submitting my reports and I have proven that I can handle up to six tests at a time.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Jennifer Koles
      Age: 32
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Salt Lake City , Utah, United States

      Backpacking Background:

      I started taking overnight backpacking trips four years ago in the Uinta Mountain Range in Utah . I found myself taking entirely too much gear. I am finding out slowly how to minimize my needs and not require extra luxuries. My previous outdoor experiences consisted of 4-wheel-drive camping in primitive areas and day hiking. I use a four season convertible tent or a three season tent for my shelter. I plan to take more trips, increase my duration, and reduce my two to three day backpack base weight from 17 lb (8 kg).

      I have never tested a stove with backpackgeartest.org and I found this stove would possibly fit my backpacking style very well. I currently use a small canister stove as my primary stove. I have tried alcohol and Esbit stoves and I am not happy with how long it takes to boil water with these types of stoves. I spent a great deal of time making two different types of alcohol stoves and now they just collect dust. I am not in a big hurry to have my water boil in the wilderness but I would like to have my water boil in under 10 minutes. Maybe my problem with the alcohol and Esbit stoves is I sit there and watch the pot. Maybe I should turn away. You know what they say about watching a pot while trying to boil water, a watched pot never boils.

      Testing Locations:

      The stove would be primarily used in the state of Utah during all my fall backpacking trips. These trips will be primarily in the Wasatch and Uinta Mountains . Most elevation ranges in the Utah Wasatch and Uinta Mountain Ranges are between 6,000-10,000 ft (1,800-3,000 m). The average fall temperature is 55 F (13 C) in these mountain ranges. I would be able to use this stove in this region in the winter months.

      During the fall and winter months I spend time in backpacking in Southern Utah ( Moab area, Zion National Park ). The high temperatures for this region in September and October are 75-85 F (24-29 C). The low temperature is around 50 F (10 C). The elevation in the Moab region is around 5,920 ft (1,804 m) with changes of 1,300 ft (396 m). Elevation Zion park begins at about 3,800 ft (1,158 m). There will be a trace or no snow in this region during the winter. I have a permit secured for Canyonlands in November and I will be in Zion during the month of October. I will be in both regions again for one trip to each region early in 2008.

      I will also use the stove in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range in California during the month of February. I have a trip planned to the western area of the range. Details are still being worked out for this trip as to where we are starting. I believe the trip will be two nights. This will be a winter backpacking trip with a great opportunity to test the stove in cold temperatures and to melt snow.

      Test Plans:

      I have used a liquid stove (white gas and white gas varieties) in the past. For years I used an MSR WhisperLite stove. Sometimes I ran into difficulty while priming the stove and I decided that a canister stove would be a safer three season stove for me to use. So I would like to use a liquid stove again for the fourth season that I am unable to take my canister stove with me because of the cold temperatures. Or take it on trips of high elevation that my canister stove did not perform well.

      This stove sounds awesome that there are no added steps or procedures to switch between fuels. So I wonder if that is actually true. I will report any malfunction when switching fuels. How does this actually work? Is it actually as easy as just a turn of the burner cup, as the manufacturer indicates?

      I would burn a variety of fuel types in this stove. I currently have four fuel types at my home that this stove burns. I just do not know how to get my hands on jet fuel. I wonder if being an elite traveler will help me. I will have to investigate that. Does it burn nice and smooth without any sputtering of the fuel for the various types of fuel that would be burned?

      They do not say what the "butane" fuel is. Do they mean standard Iso-Butane Propane mix fuel canisters or straight butane like I used to use in my traveling curling iron? If so will they mount right side up (with the threaded opening up) or do they mount upside down so that the cold handling propane will help drive the butane out of the canister?

      When in white gas mode, will the stove be easy to prime? In the past I have experienced some mishaps while priming stoves. I am hoping that this stove is easy to prime. I will not get into my priming mishaps. But, they are quite amusing. Is it quick priming for all fuel types? Does the generator heat fast?

      Ah it says there is a precision simmering control. That is very important to me to be able to actually simmer while cooking. I tend to burn many backcountry meals. That is why I started to boil water. So I will see if I can actually get the stove to simmer while preparing rice, noodle, and other various dishes.

      So what is the flip-stop fuel pump all about? Does it actually purge the fuel from the fuel line to eliminate the fuel spillage when uncoupling the stove from the bottle. Does the pump couple with other manufacturers´┐Ż fuel bottles.

      They do not say on the website that it comes with a wind screen. Will it be affected by wind?

      It says it will boil water in less than 4 minutes. How fast will it melt a bunch of snow for water while winter hiking? Will it hold up to staying lit for long periods of time needed to melt a lot of water when providing for multiple people? (We melt 5 liters each per night.) How much fuel will be needed? Does it perform well or at all in cold temperatures well below freezing?

      Will it pack down small enough to carry inside of my pot?

      Are the pot base supports large enough for my liking? In the winter and when I go backpacking with a group I use a larger titanium pot.

      Does the stove come with a reflector to set it on so that it does not sink into the snow? They do not say anything about that either on the website.

      I will see how long it takes to boil water at various elevations and temperatures. Also I will see what the burn time actually is.

      Is there any special maintenance or cleaning that needs to be performed to the stove to keep it in tip top operation? I will report any clogs and how I clean the stove if I get food spillage on it or a large amount of soot. Generally the soot will wipe off completely with a Mr. Clean sponge.

      I will cook multiple types of food with this stove. My one friend likes to bring eggs and weird pasta dishes so I would cook those items up with the stove. I would use the stove to boil water for my coffee, cider, and freeze dried meals. I would also use it to prepare my gourmet meals. I have a stew recipe along with the rice, packaged prepared chicken, potatoes, and pasta dishes I have been making recently.

      Previously Written Reports
      My previously written reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/jennksnowy

      Owner Reviews: 9
      Completed Tests: 15
      Currently Testing Other Items: 3
      IR Montbell Thunderdome Tent (due on October 3)
      FR Danner GTX Boots
      FR Katadyn Vario Water Treatment System (due October 2)

      Test Applications Outstanding: none

      Other BGT Responsibilities: involved with the Mentor Program-Coordinator and test monitor

      Thank you for your consideration in testing the Brunton Vapor AF Stove. I would be more than happy to give this product a thorough testing.

      Jenn Koles