FR - Gregory Advent Pro - Chari Daignault

  • CLD
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
      HTML version: http://tinyurl.com/ypxg3y

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Locations:
      Various locations throughout the Orlando Metro area plus a two-day
      hiking trip on a couple of trails in the Flamingo area of the
      Everglades National Park in South Florida.

      Conditions:
      The end of June through July was very humid with much rain and
      thunderstorms. By August, the rain had stopped, but not the humidity.
      Temperatures in the Orlando area have been averaging around 95 degrees
      F [35 C] with humidity so high that the heat index reaches 105 degrees
      F [40.5 C]. The terrain included asphalt, concrete, grass, sand, mud
      and dirt trails.

      In the Everglades, the temperature hit 94 degrees [34.4 C] both days
      with very high humidity. There was one late afternoon thunderstorm on
      our last day out, but it hit just as we were leaving the park. The
      trails were sandy with matted grasses interspersed with pockets of
      very wet, marshy areas. There were alligators everywhere supposedly,
      but we didn't see any; they're obviously too smart to be out in the heat.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I used the Advent Pro mostly on day hikes of 3 to 5 miles [4.83 km to
      8.05 km] and on some bicycle rides of 10 to 15 miles [16.10 km to
      24.15 km]. I learned very quickly not to fill the pack anywhere close
      to the maximum stated limit of 25 lbs. [11.34 kg]. The pack, no matter
      how much I fidgeted with the straps and adjustments, was not
      comfortable at all for me with a weight over 9 or 10 pounds [4.08 kg
      or 4.54 kg].

      I found that just a short time into my initial day hike, with a pack
      weight of 21 lbs. [9.53 kg], the shoulder straps put so much pressure
      on the top of my trapezius muscles [the muscles connecting the back
      top of the neck to the shoulder and over to the spine], that I
      developed an extremely bad headache. I spent most of my time during
      that hike adjusting and readjusting shoulder straps, the sternum strap
      [and any other strap I could adjust] and the Wraptor Stabilizer. The
      pack had two full 1.5L [51 fl oz] water bladders*, an extra set of
      shorts, socks and a shirt, my GPS, my digital camera, a couple of
      lenses, a cell phone, a first aid kit, a knife, a ground cloth, a
      sleeping pad and a box of trail bars. One of the water bladders was
      set up in the hydration compartment for immediate use; the other was
      stored in the bottom of the main cargo area. I normally do not bring
      this much gear along on a day hike, but wanted to test the pack
      thoroughly. The size of the pack for day hikes is overkill, in my opinion.

      When I packed it as I would for my day hikes at around 9.5 pounds
      [4.31 kg], with one full water bladder, a couple of trail bars, my
      GPS, a ground cloth, a cell phone, a knife and a camera, it was a very
      comfortable pack. I was able to cinch the straps and cords to compress
      the pack tightly. There was plenty of room left, but with the pack
      fully compressed, it wasn't an issue. This was how I packed the Advent
      Pro for the remainder of my day hikes and bicycle rides.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE>>

      The Wraptor Stabilizer system worked great with the lower pack weight,
      as did the waistbelt. The pack stayed with most of the weight on my
      hips, allowing me to move more naturally and comfortably. The foam
      back panel formed to my back and I wasn't able to feel any of the more
      oddly-shaped items in the pack through it. I can't comment on whether
      or not the back panel was able to wick any sweat from my back, as I
      sweat profusely anyway and my shirts are always wet.

      It seems the days I choose to ride my bicycle are the days when we end
      up with a steady drizzle of rain. This does not keep me from riding,
      and the Advent Pro has performed great. The interior of the cargo area
      stays dry; I've not had to pack anything in plastic bags. Anything
      packed in the outside mesh pockets will get wet though, so I move my
      cell phone into the hidden cargo pocket inside the top access point
      when it rains.

      Clean up was easy, as even though I've used the pack almost daily
      since I received it, there is usually only a minimal amount of dust on
      the outside. I use a micro fiber cloth dampened with water to wipe it
      down, which seems to work just fine.

      *I try not to bring plastic water bottles out on the trails.

      SUMMARY

      The Advent Pro is a nicely made pack. It did not perform well for me
      packed with gear weighing over 10 lbs.; it performs wonderfully at
      anything less. It fits well, sits perfectly on my hips and allows me
      full motion without binding. The Advent Pro works well in light rain
      and cleans up easily. There is plenty of cargo room, loads of pockets
      for storage of smaller items and two large access points from which to
      get at your gear.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE>>

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will continue to test the Advent Pro on my day hikes and bicycle
      rides. I would also like to try testing it on a trail run, if my
      schedule allows. Otherwise, I will try short spurts of running while
      hiking to see how the pack feels on my hips and shoulders.

      This concludes my Field Report on the Gregory Advent Pro. The Long
      Term Report will be amended to this report in approximately two
      months. Please check back then.

      Many thanks to Gregory Mountain Products and BackpackGearTest.Org for
      the opportunity to test this product.
    • rami
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
        CLD wrote:
        > FIELD REPORT
        >
        > FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

        [[R:]]
        Hi Chari,

        Glad you made it back safely,

        Nice looking report, no edits, please upload at will.

        -r
      • Chari Daignault
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
          Thank you Rami! Will do immediately.